Bdcf3dd.tmp

TubeBear
edited January 2009 in Malware talk

Hi - I installed BitDefender on 2 computers, both of which I'm having issues, but I'll just mention one in this thread.

When I boot up the computer, I get this error from BitDefender Report Wizard, saying that it has encountered a critical error:

BitDefender encountered problems while processing the files below:

C:\Windows\TEMP\bdcF3DD.tmp

C:\Windows\TEMP\bdcCEB0.tmp

I am not 100% sure but I think that those files - (bdcF3DD.tmp - bdcCEB0.tmp) change sometimes each time I boot up, but I'm reporting the file that I'm seeing right now. However 100% they are all .tmp files.

Then it asks me if I want to send the file to BitDefender Labs for analysis, which I say yes, write a brief description, and then send.

I've been doing this for a week and have sent it off at least 25 times, if not more.

Once I send them, my BitDefender remains gray and says my services are not responding, meaning my antivirus is off.

Now this just happened one day. I installed BitDefender and all was fine for about 3 weeks, until this error occurred, and now my antivirus has been off for a week.

So, my questions are:

1) What is this problem? I Googled it and found nothing. I searched the forum here and found nothing.

2) What should I do? Do I simply re-install then install? Is there a patch?

Please, any advice would help.

Thanks

Forrest

Comments

• Your computer is likely infected by some sort of malware. Try run a full scan of your computer with one of the online scanners.

• Sm3K3R
    Sm3K3R ✭✭✭

Forrest ,put those files into archives with pass infected and post a thread on the malware submision forum to which you add those archived samples.Maximum dimension of the files atached is 2mb ,so they must be smaller archived.

• Thanks for the advice.

Can you maybe explain what you mean by 'pass infected'.

Since BitDefender grays out right after I boot, I can't do anything from BitDefender. Is pass infected something I do extraneous of BitDefender.

And I will check for Malware, thx, and will reply with the results.

• I just finished a full Malware scan with MalwareBytes and the results were 0

I also want to point out that... when I boot up, now I am getting at least 6 critical errors. It started off with 1, then 2, now there's 6, and there's a new one that isn't a .tmp file. I wasn't paying attention since I was quickly sending each off to their Labs analysis, but there's now at least one file which is different.

If needed, I can post all of those that are showing up as errors.

• I just finished a full Malware scan with MalwareBytes and the results were 0

I also want to point out that... when I boot up, now I am getting at least 6 critical errors. It started off with 1, then 2, now there's 6, and there's a new one that isn't a .tmp file. I wasn't paying attention since I was quickly sending each off to their Labs analysis, but there's now at least one file which is different.

If needed, I can post all of those that are showing up as errors.

Try check the contents of the "BitDefender Threat Scanner" folder. If it contains more then 2 of the AVxxxxxxx folders, boot to Failsafe Mode and delete all but the two newest folders.

I've just had an error like yours on a .tmp file in the C:\windows\Temp folder. BitDefender behaved quite strange at the same time. From the date and time stamp on the file I can conclude the file is a tempory file created by BitDefender when it updates the definition files. For checking out if the same is the case on your computer, compare the date and time on the .tmp file(s) with the date and time of the folders in the "BitDefender Threat Scanner" folder. For finding the BitDefender Threat Scanner folder simply do a search for it on your computer. On an English language operating system, the folder can be found in: C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender

A few day ago I had an error with the Dashboard.dll file. Deleting folders as mentioned above solved that problem.

• PCDania
    edited January 2009

Had that .tmp error again. The problem is with BitDefender and seems to be related to when it updates itself at the same time as something else happens. This time I got it when I hit the Reply button in a forum. Webpages does not use the Windows\Temp folder but the Temporary Internet Files folder so it's not the webpage doing this but somehow BetDefender don't like me posting while it updates itself. BitDefender has also started hanging when I start my computer even though I now keep the amount of outdated AVxxxxxx folders down to a minimum as I delete them daily.

• Yes, the error is definitely BD related... something about updating... this is why I suggest you reboot with minimal services, delete temp files and force manual update. This cleared it for me.

• I posted this same thing on another post relating to the same topic, yet since I started this particular thread, I'm re-posting here:

I did as Dizzy Coder said - however this is an HP with Vista on it, and F8 Safe mode doesn't seem to be an option.

Once I went into diagnostic, changed it to diagnostic startup, rebooted, then cleaned out temp file... I wasn't able to do an update due to some proxy error.

So I went back to a normal startup, and once again the errors started popping up;

windows/temp/bdcFCD3.tmp

yet also a new one --

program files/HP/Digital Imaging/Bin/hpqddusr.dll

not a temp file!

and no, I hadn't added anything since... or nothing HP related. Still, I shouldn't have to worry about installing programs in fear of my antivirus going awry due to the fact.

So my bit defender is still not working - going on 2 weeks of no antivirus.

Not to be an arse, but I have always used Norton before, and sure Norton might be weak in relation to AV, so the experts say, I never had a single issue like this in a dozen years. and when I call Norton, I get someone. I've tried contacting technical support via phone and waited 20+ minutes but I'm on a cell and it's costing me minutes. I also left a ticket.

no go...

should I just remove BitDefender and try reinstalling it?

I hope to have an answer. Whatever I know that BitDefender will not reimburse me, and it's only $75, but it's what I have on my computer which is very important - even if it just might be pictures of my dog, and I'm feeling really vulnerable at this point.

And I'm really unsastified with BitDefender. This is going to be the last time I listen to Top 10 experts.

ps - I also want to thank Dizzy Coder for the help. Even though it didn't help me, at least he gave me some advice.

• well reinstalling did absolutely nothing except waste about 30 minutes of my life.

Once it went for the updates, all those .tmp errors started showing up again.

Is there not one competent moderator on this forum who can tell us what is going on? I've seen on other threads that I am not the only person getting this error, so BitDefender must be aware of the issue... yes?

And I'm not being facetious or in contempt when I say competent. I simply mean - someone take the time to explain to us what is wrong, and what we need to do... or make a patch.

If I don't get a response by the end of this week - about January 25th - I will simply remove BitDefender all together and get another antivirus. Yes I am but one person yet that's all it really takes - it's called the butterfly effect - one unhappy leads to 2, to 4, to 'n.

Someone please respond to my tickets... or this thread... I have outlined the problem as efficient as I can. I've searched the net for answers, there is nothing, I've reinstalled, same issues.

• Have you tried contacting BitDefender Support?

I haven't had the *.tmp error sinse 17th of January, I manually deleted the contents of the Windows\Temp folder yesterday. I just hope it stays that way as I prefer using my time at the computer doing things I find more funny than deleting files BitDefender should take care of by itself.

I still have to manually delete the outdated definition folders and files, I hope the patch is getting close. I am fully aware making a patch and making sure it works without causing other problems takes its time....

• UPDATE: my solution is not permanent and may have been fluke. I am now re-exhibiting these same issues. Some information that may help discern a pattern(?):

XP SP3

auto updates on

your run of the mill productivity apps installed (Office 2007, Adobe CS3, Nero8, Dragon 9...) plus utils like Google Desktop/Talk, FileZilla, yadda-yadda

tried repair, failed -- used the removal tool, reinstalled, no joy.

• All my cases with a *.tmp error on a BitDefender tmp file in the Window\Temp folder have been when I have been posting on online forums.

• my errors occur at startup & bring the system to a crawl