BDLDaemon using >90% of CPU since last update

Since the last update for Bitdefender for mac, days ago, BDLDaemon is using a high % of CPU constantly and there isn't other solution than deactivate protection.

There is any other solution? are you working in any patch?

Thanks in advance

Juan Carlos

Comments

• Hello Juan,

Please perform a System Scan and check if BDLDaemon still uses a lot of CPU after that. In case it does, please send us some screenshots from Activity Monitor and let us know for how long does it uses resources and if you noticed when does this happen.

• Hi, thanks for your answer.

The Bitdefender Antivirus GUI is locked at this stage, I guess because BDLDaemon is taking all the CPU. I have killed the BDLDaemon and launched the System Scan. Let's see what happens after that.

• Hi again,

The system check finished, but CPU usage is still over 95%

2019-05-13_18-11-28.png

• Hi again,

Just to clarify, BDLDaemon CPU usage is constantly close to 99%. I have tried to kill the process and deactivate the Shied, but once is activated, after 5 minutes is again at 99%. That's producing the macbook pro fan working also constantly.

• Hello jucaeval,

Thank you for the information.

When you notice that BDLDaemon uses a lot of CPU, please open the Terminal and copy and paste the following command:

sudo lsof +r 1 -c BDLDaemon | grep DIR

Make sure that you add the Terminal to Full Disk Access before entering the command. Let the list populate and then press CTRL and C in order to stop the command. Save the output from the Terminal and give us the results.

We would like to know as well for how long does BDLDaemon uses a lot of CPU.

• Hi, again the BDLDaemon is around 100% usage constantly and I need to kill de Daemon and stop the Shield. In addition in this case, when I start a system scan, the process stuck in Quarantine.lck and never goes  out of this file.

Please, could you have a look? I have the Antivirus deactivated since the pasta Thursday because this reason

Thanks in advance

• 14 hours ago, jucaeval said:

Hi, again the BDLDaemon is around 100% usage constantly and I need to kill de Daemon and stop the Shield. In addition in this case, when I start a system scan, the process stuck in Quarantine.lck and never goes  out of this file.

Please, could you have a look? I have the Antivirus deactivated since the pasta Thursday because this reason

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Try to perform a Custom Scan on Quarantine.lck and then again a Full Scan. In case the System Scan is again stuck and BDLDaemon is still using resources, please write us at [email protected]

• Hi,

The problem is still there. The full scan stops in random files, not sure why, reamining ther for hours when activating the shield, at some of point appears again the bdldaemon at 100%

Again I have killed the daemon and stop the shield, then, I don't have the antivirus doint its job.

Do you need any additional information?

regars

Juan

• 14 hours ago, jucaeval said:

Hi,

The problem is still there. The full scan stops in random files, not sure why, reamining ther for hours when activating the shield, at some of point appears again the bdldaemon at 100%

Again I have killed the daemon and stop the shield, then, I don't have the antivirus doint its job.

Do you need any additional information?

regars

Juan

Hi,

Yes, we need to further investigate this. For this reason I mentioned to write us via email, as it will be easier to communicate via email and we will need some further logs from you which is not indicated to posted on a public forum.

• OK, I have sent an email to the mentioned address.

Thanks

• On 8/9/2019 at 3:05 PM, jucaeval said:

OK, I have sent an email to the mentioned address.

Thanks

Hi,

With this email address we did not find any ticket. Please provide us the ticket ID.

• I think that I have used a different email address.

The ticket is 2019080911450009

Thanks in advance

• 8 hours ago, jucaeval said:

I think that I have used a different email address.

The ticket is 2019080911450009

Thanks in advance

Hello,

I have replied to your ticket. We will continue the conversation via email.

Thank you.

• hi, we have the same problem with the new version on several mac, with different so, from 10.11 to 10.14

• 13 hours ago, r.tettamanti said:

hi, we have the same problem with the new version on several mac, with different so, from 10.11 to 10.14

Hi,

As previously mentioned we need a log and the output from Terminal of the following command sudo lsof +r 1 -c BDLDaemon | grep DIR. It is recommended to send us all the information required on this thread via email at [email protected]

• Is there any update on this? I'm still having this problem too

• Been having the same problem this week. Have tickets open and awaiting results. I ended up reinstalling Bitdefender which seems to have fixed things...for now.

• Add me to the list of people experiencing this issue. I can't say for how long this has been going on since the menu bar icon file scan status indicator is so subtle, I started to notice it when my keyboard or trackpad would stop responding.

I'm running BitDefender on a MacBook Pro with macOS 10.15.

I haven't tried any of the troubleshooting steps in this thread as it isn't clear if they actually resolve the issue.

I will say I am running the latest Safari, and when I sample the Process for BDLDeamon I see this recurring thread:

It would be great to know how to determine what exactly BDL is scanning. I've closed all running applications and still see BDL consuming 99% CPU.

• I'm having the same problem. BDLDaemon is using over 98.2% CPU at the moment, but I've seen it as high as 107% this evening. CPU Time is 31:25:35. Fan runs constantly and macbook is heating up. Afraid BitDefender is going to ruin my macbook.

• Same issue.

• Yup, you can add me to the list of people with BDLDaemon running constantly at 99% or over. I do not have parallels open and all that is open is Safari, Activity Monitor and Finder. This needs to be addressed soon.

• Another person added to the list, I'm having to disable my Anti-Virus so I can use my computer.

macOS 10.15.7 with the latest patch applied to the OS.

My version of BitDefender is: 8.2.2.9

I was wondering why things were so so slow and finally found out. None of the troubleshooting steps have helped.

• I have tested this on Big Sur and it's even worse on that platform, 100% CPU.

Why has no one from Bitdefender not replied to this thread???

• Same here. BDLDaemon always at 100% on Big Sur. Had to turn Antivirus for Mac OFF, which I didn't want to do. What's the status of a fix?

• Keeping tabs on this thread, has anyone upgraded to Big Sur? have you noticed similar behavior?

I suspect that Bitdefender is scanning files created by the newer versions of MacOS and Safari, files that it either ignored before or didn't exist in previous versions.

• i've upgraded to big sur — and it's still the same behaviour…

cpu load is still around 97 to 107%.

both the quick and the complete scan stuck.

…pls, bitdefender, can't you do something about it?

• Same happen to me as well. Before upgrade to Big Sur, no such issue. After upgrade hit this issue!

• same issue here. usage over 100%

• Same issue here. Cpu usage around 100%. Running Big Sure (11.0.1)

• This works for me

a) Add the following items to the Exceptions list

/Volumes/.timemachine ( Hidden )

/Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots ( Hidden )

/Volumes/Time Machine ( Backup disk )

b) Do a manual System Scan

This is for showing system files

Option 1

1. Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities
    2. In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com. apple. finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
    3. Press return

Option 2

1. Hold the 'Option/alt' key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.

And this for hide the system files again

If you use Option 1

1. Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities
    2. In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com. apple. finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
    3. Press return

If you use Option 2

1.Relaunch Finder with no keys

Hope this helps someone!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.