Firewall Problem

i previously used a mobile broadband connection.back then bitdefender 2011 firewall worked perfectly.then i got adsl and i'm using prolink H5200 USB adsl2+ modem to connect.but when i activate the firewall i cant connect to internet.help me please.

Comments

• i previously used a mobile broadband connection.back then bitdefender 2011 firewall worked perfectly.then i got adsl and i'm using prolink H5200 USB adsl2+ modem to connect.but when i activate the firewall i cant connect to internet.help me please.

Please check your BitDefender Firewall | Network settings. Be sure your Adapter is listed. Then do this: Type = Trusted, VPN = yes, Stealth = Remote, Generic = Yes. Then drop down to the Network Zone area, highlight your Adapter, click Add Zone, then type in the IP address of your router, for example 192.168.1.1. Then Add Zone for all the PCs in your network. If you need to find out each PC's address, open a command window (DOS) at each PC and type ipconfig /all

Hope this helps. Once, I forgot to do this, and had my Stealth = On. It hid the router even from my PC and I was blocked off the internet. Stealth has to be set to either Off or Remote.

P.S. Be sure to check from time to time that these Firewall settings haven't reverted.

Sonya

• Hi

You can also try the below settings

Network Type: Home/Office

VPN: No

Rest of the settings are same as suggested by Sonya.

If you turn On Stealth Mode, you would not be able to access the network.

• heyy i tried both settings u suggested..but no luck

• When I diagnose the problem with in network sharing center I get the message "DNS server isn't responding"

(I'm using windows7)

• When I diagnose the problem with in network sharing center I get the message "DNS server isn't responding"

(I'm using windows7)

Hi again. There's a discussion going on for Windows 7 users about this problem here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...98-80cf211878d7

I skimmed the article, but since I use Windows XP, I couldn't try some of the solutions. Check it out and let us know if it helped. Good luck.

• thanks mate but that forum is abt win7 problem....mine occurs only when bitdefender firewall is activated.

• Hi

Try this

Method 1:

For DNS server follow the below steps and check for any errors listed in event viewer–

1. Click Start. Type cmd in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

ipconfig /flushdns (there is a space between ipconfig and / )

It will show the message successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache.

3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

ipconfig /registerdns (there is a space between ipconfig and / )

4. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

ipconfig /all

If your IP address for your Local Area Connection is either 0.0.0.0 or 169.x.x.x (where x is any number), then your computer is not getting an IP address from the router.

If that is the case, try this:

· ipconfig /release in the command prompt and press ENTER

· ipconfig /renew in the command prompt and press ENTER

Test it again by typing ipconfig /all to see what the address is? (If you are on a home router, it should start with either 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x or 10.x.x.x)

Method 2:

If the issue persists you may refer and use the steps provided below

1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.

2. Go to Networking and sharing center and then click on Change adapter settings.

3. Right click on Local Area Connection and choose properties.

4. Highlight Internet Protocol Version 6 and click on Properties.

5. Choose Obtain DNS servers address automatically and press Ok.

6. Choose Obtain IP address automatically.

Also try to reset/re-configure your modem

• i tried that also..but it didn't help either..thanks for your help anyways :(

• Ok, try another trick, with Firewall disabled, connect your ADSL and note the DNS, then activate the Bitdefender Firewall, and give the DNS manually, if connection breaks.

Also did you enable Windows Firewall?

• can you tell me how to do that exactly...when i type ipconfig /all in cmd i dot the DNS server as 192.168.1.1

is that correct??

and i didn't enable windows firewall

• The DNS server set to 192.168.1.1 is normal when you are connected to a router. That is what mine is set to.

Regards,

• ok.. i'm gonna try that now..

• that didn't workout either :(

• Hi,

You flushed the DNS and still receiving the same error message ? Please post a screenshot of that message here.

Also type ipconfig /all in a cmd prompt as shown in the attached screenshot and upload the file here. Does the issue still occur with the BitDefender firewall disabled ? Have you used a previous version of BitDefender ?

Regards,

• Hi Technical team,

I am experiencing a problem where my computer won't go on the internet with the firewall enabled. I have tried every single suggestion on the above thread and nothing is working! The only way that my Internet works is if I disable the firewall. But since I have paid for a software to have a firewall, I would like for it to work. Can you please send me a detailed step by step instruction of what to do?

I am using windows 7, Bitdefender Internet Security 2011, 3G mobile connection modem.

Please assist. I have been reading forums for about 3 hrs, tried various suggestions, and nothing but disabling the firewall works.

• Hello,

Kristo13: what phone and software are you using to provide an internet connection to the PC ? Do you use a USB stick to connect or you start an Access Point on your mobile phone ? Please open BitDefender and go to Firewall >> Network. Check the following settings and post them here:

- Network Type;

- VPN;

- Stealth;

- Generic;