Vsserv.exe Cpu Usage

Hi,

Ive installed 2012 and Vsserve.exe is constantly using around 10-15% CPU, I think this is really excessive.

Is this happening to anyone else?

My CPU is a Intel i7 M620

Cheers

Comments

• Not happening on my i7 M620:

post-35640-1312156586_thumb.jpg

A frequent cause for this issue is a conflict with another security program. Do you have any other security programs (besides Windows Defender) installed? Have you previously uninstalled any other security programs that may have leftover files or registry entries?

Which Windows OS are you running? My laptop is running Win7 Pro SP1 x64 with 4GB RAM.

Which BD product is installed? I have BD Antivirus Plus 2012.

Regards,

• Not constantly, but right now, it does consume 5-20% of my CPU too, with 10-30KB of memory.

I can also hear my hard disk working like mad, and this is coming from BDAV, not Windows Search indexer or other features.

It didn't do anything like 10 minutes ago, so I am not sure what triggered it, and I am certainly not pleased that it's not working as it's supposed to in auto pilot mode, i.e. scanning the computer only when idle. Or maybe it does, since the bdagent.exe process does not do anything, but what's the point if vsserv.exe is using that much CPU, RAM and stressing the hard disk so hard while I work on my computer?

• Hi,

No I dont have any other virus checkers installed.

Im running Windows 7 64Bit 6GB memory and BD Antivirus 2012

Its also on a Lenovo T410

Cheers

Not happening on my i7 M620:

post-35640-1312156586_thumb.jpg

A frequent cause for this issue is a conflict with another security program. Do you have any other security programs (besides Windows Defender) installed? Have you previously uninstalled any other security programs that may have leftover files or registry entries?

Which Windows OS are you running? My laptop is running Win7 Pro SP1 x64 with 4GB RAM.

Which BD product is installed? I have BD Antivirus Plus 2012.

Regards,

• Hi all,

First, if you have Windows 7 with no service pack installed, you need to upgrade to service pack 1. More information about the system requirements for Bitdefender 2012 are available HERE.

If your Bitdefender scans then it is a quite normally to use around 10-15% CPU. If you want, set 'On-access scanning' on 'Permisive'(Bitdefender -> Settings -> Antivirus -> Shield) and check the performance of your PC.

Thank you!

• I have roughly the same issue with cpu usage. No other security apps installed & Windows 7 is fully updated.

• I bet most users who upgraded to BDAV 2012 have a fully updated Windows system too, and I don't believe SP1 would solve this issue mysteriously. If that helps, I noticed the high vsserv.exe/hard disk activity twice, and it was each time after I closed the BDAV 2012 app, or rather minimized it to the Notification Area. I modified the BDAV 2012 settings in both instances, that's probably what triggered vsserv.exe.

That's fine with me, as it's only temporary and the vsserv.exe process would soon return to 0% CPU usage, but the worrying thing is that it does not wait for the computer to be idle or that vsserv.exe does not detect that the computer is being used and stops its activity. Such a high CPU/hard disk usage should probably be restricted to idle time, just like the virus scans.

• For me, that process is never at 0% usage. It's like it's always doing something so it always uses upwards of 10%.

• Yeah, it's weird. It's been in in the 5-25% CPU range for the past hour, and in the 40-54% CPU range for the past 5 minutes, although there's no disk activity, so it's probably reaching this high CPU % when it's doing stuff in memory.

And just while I typed, it switched back to 5-25% CPU usage, with high disk activity.

In any case, it's doing this while I am working on the computer, and this goes opposite to what they're trying to do with Auto Scan on idle. The Bitdefender team should look at that and monitor CPU activity at all times to see why it's going wrong.

• Hello,

L.o.D: You can never have VSSERV at 0% usage. It's the main process of a security solution software. What you ask for it's impossible. Compare the memory usage of VSSERV with any other software like Winamp, video players etc and you will see that any of these software will use 2%-10% on a i3+ PC.

Chimel: from what you are describing it looks that BitDefender does scan when the PC is idle - It's been in in the 5-25% CPU range for the past hour, and in the 40-54% CPU range for the past 5 minutes, although there's no disk activity

And just while I typed, it switched back to 5-25% CPU usage, with high disk activity.

- and the CPU usage stopped when you return the PC from idle (you start typing); the high disk activity can be due to other processes too, not necessary BitDefender. If you consider this an issue, we can monitor the vsserv and generate a log file to check for any issues with it;

Carldickson: does the issue still occur ? If so please send me a PM with the topic title and I will create a ticket on your behalf.

Regards,

• Daniel, I think @L.o.D does not mean 0% CPU usage all the time, but in normal operation mode.

My own system is also at 0% CPU most of the time, at least when the system is not idle.

It goes up to 1-5% of CPU usage with 4-15KB of memory, but only occasionally and very briefly.

I found out the conhost.exe process was caused by the new version of Miro, you can forget about this.

The 50% CPU usage was while I was typing too, the computer was not idle, and the high disk usage was during that time too, so it was definitely caused by BitDefender, not SearchIndexer or other processes.

I keep this system extra lean, with only 6 core user processes and bdagent.exe is the only Startup item enabled in my MsConfig.

No game and almost no app installed.

I haven't noticed this behavior since, so it's a non-issue for me, as I thought: I expected this behavior to disappear eventually. It might be a good idea to systematically log all events for a month after installation, that's probably when people encounter the most issues.

• Dany, with the previous version I was using, you could not see the usage I did after I upgraded.

But that is not the issue at hand for me now though.

• I am running Windows XP Service pack 3 and Bit Defender 2012 Total Security. Vsserve.exe just goes and goes almost non-stop slowing down my I-7 processor with 8 gigs of memory to the point that I think an operation is just not going to happen. I had the same problem with Bit Defender 2010 Internet Security before I upgraded.

• Hi

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you.

• I have given up and uninstalled BitDefender Internet Security 2012. I have installed Kaspersky Pure Total Security and now I can now use the Internet and my computer does not slow to a crawl, but I am not happy with this program either. Since installing Kaspersky my computer has completely locked up 4 times and it seems to take forever to boot up, so I am going to try Norton next, since I have blown $80 on Bitdefender and another $35 on Kaspersky. Does anybody make a security suite that just works without making your computer unusable?

• @Dragonheart You can install Bitdefender IS 2011 with your current license. Download links are in the 2011 forum.

• Hello

This discussion will continue over here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=30323

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.