Network Map Issue

I have 3 computers running BD Antivirus 2012. All 3 were upgraded from 2011. I did not use network with the 2011 product.

Computer 1 - Server- Windows 7

Computer 2 - Regular - Windows XP

Computer 3 - Regular - Windows Vista

All have automatic Windows Update on and should be at the latest level.

I try to add Computer 2 from the Server. When I click on Add Computer all of the computers are listed. I select Computer 2 and the correct IP is displayed. When I click Add a message pops up saying that the computer does not have Bitdefender installed.

The same thing happens if I try to add Computer 3.

If I try to use Auto discover I get a message saying No client computers were found.

I have just about given up on the Network Map.

Bob

Comments

• I have 3 computers running BD Antivirus 2012. All 3 were upgraded from 2011. I did not use network with the 2011 product.

I try to add Computer 2 from the Server. When I click on Add Computer all of the computers are listed. I select Computer 2 and the correct IP is displayed. When I click Add a message pops up saying that the computer does not have Bitdefender installed.

If I try to use Auto discover I get a message saying No client computers were found.

Bob

its the firewall my friend ,

I have the same problem but when I disable the firewall in the client computer it solves the problem ,

Im trying to find out what ports to open in the firewall in order to allow the connection

• For me I could only join computers with: firewall disabled + IPv6 disabled + wire-network on all computers

I after join them, could active firewall and mange even in wireless network.

good luck

• I have 3 computers running BD Antivirus 2012. All 3 were upgraded from 2011. I did not use network with the 2011 product.

Bob

I also have this problem. It never worked in 2011 and I thought they might have actually tested and fixed this in 2012 but apparently not. And some people here suggest you disable the firewall? So you buy a security product and you have to turn bits off to make it work? That is just crazy....

• I also have this problem. It never worked in 2011 and I thought they might have actually tested and fixed this in 2012 but apparently not. And some people here suggest you disable the firewall? So you buy a security product and you have to turn bits off to make it work? That is just crazy....

Which firewall are you refering to that you are turning off? Windows or BitDefender?

• Which firewall are you refering to that you are turning off? Windows or BitDefender?

I actually disabled both,,, although I already had Windows firewall disabled anyway,,, no luck!

All 3 windows 7 64bit 2012 Bit Defender total security. I just upgraded from 2010 because I could not get a response to solve the issue here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry120407

• Which firewall are you refering to that you are turning off? Windows or BitDefender?

I am well aware that one should never run multiple security products so prior to installing bitdefender I made sure my windows firewall and windows defender and anything else was completely disabled. The only firewall running was bitdefender and I cant believe a solution to this network map is to disable it?!?!?! Might it have something to do with home or public or trusted mode or something like that? I have all my machines set to home mode but the network map still cant find them...

• I am well aware that one should never run multiple security products so prior to installing bitdefender I made sure my windows firewall and windows defender and anything else was completely disabled. The only firewall running was bitdefender and I cant believe a solution to this network map is to disable it?!?!?! Might it have something to do with home or public or trusted mode or something like that? I have all my machines set to home mode but the network map still cant find them...

I hope to get some response soon,, its been almost 2 weeks that I have been trying to resolve this, since I did not get any support from the 2010 section, the upgrade to 2012 I hope proves to be a bit more responsive than nothing?

• Hello,

Lets try a test please:

- we have 3 PCs: PC 1 (XP) ; PC 2 (Vista) ; PC 3 (Win7);

- What are the Network details within BitDefender Firewall for each computer? - for those using Internet Security/Total Security;

- Do you have File Sharing enabled on ALL PCs?

- how you tried to add the PC 1 and 2 ? Using the local network IP or PC hostname?

- try to set each of the three PCs as Server to see if you are able to see all PCs and add them and on which of the PCs were you able to do this;

- all PC have the same architecture or any on x64? Which one?

• Hello,

Lets try a test please:

- we have 3 PCs: PC 1 (XP) ; PC 2 (Vista) ; PC 3 (Win7);

- What are the Network details within BitDefender Firewall for each computer? - for those using Internet Security/Total Security;

- Do you have File Sharing enabled on ALL PCs?

- how you tried to add the PC 1 and 2 ? Using the local network IP or PC hostname?

- try to set each of the three PCs as Server to see if you are able to see all PCs and add them and on which of the PCs were you able to do this;

- all PC have the same architecture or any on x64? Which one?

I have 3 PC's, all running Win 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.

As far as network details within Bitdefender Firewall, I have both Windows and Bitdefender firewalls off at this time, but if thats an insignificant statement, what info are you looking for as there are many tabs to sift through and I dont know what area you are in need of info out of?

File Sharing enabled on all 3 Pc's

• I have 3 PC's, all running Win 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.

As far as network details within Bitdefender Firewall, I have both Windows and Bitdefender firewalls off at this time, but if thats an insignificant statement, what info are you looking for as there are many tabs to sift through and I dont know what area you are in need of info out of?

File Sharing enabled on all 3 Pc's

Am I just in the wrong place for support? Im not sure what Im doing wrong that I cant get responses to posts from tech? Its been weeks ive been trying

• Fakum
    edited October 2011
    Am I just in the wrong place for support? Im not sure what Im doing wrong that I cant get responses to posts from tech? Its been weeks ive been trying

I am doing my best not to be rude,,, but lack of support is becomming very frustrating!

• Unknown
    edited October 2011

Hello,

You haven't answer all my questions. Please read my last post again.

How have you tried to add the PCs to the Network? By IP or by computer name?

Also if I may ask: why exactly do you keep the Bitdefender firewall turned off ?

Last but not least please explain what exactly happens: why can't you add the PCs to network? You haven't provided any error message nor any steps that can reproduce the issue. If we can't understand the request, how can we answer and what should we answer you?

I have edited your post as, again, you are not following the forum rules. Your ticket ID is: 201109201000111.

• Hello,

You haven't answer all my questions. Please read my last post again.

Also if I may ask: why exactly do you keep the Bitdefender firewall turned off ?

Last but not least please explain what exactly happens: why can't you add the PCs to network? You haven't provided any error message nor any steps that can reproduce the issue. If we can't understand the request, how can we answer and what should we answer you?

I have edited your post as, again, you are not following the forum rules. Your ticket ID is: 201109201000111.

I did read your post,,, it prompted more questions,, i could not answer all your questions because your request needed clarification,,, did you not read this above??"

"what info are you looking for as there are many tabs to sift through and I dont know what area you are in need of info out of?"

I needed that answered to proceed,,,,

I was in the 2010 post section because thats the software version I WAS using,,, since I couldnt get a response in that section for weeks,, I upgraded to 2012, then proceeded to post for resolve yet again,,, then you shut down that post because there was another somewhat relative one, and you shut my post down and refered it to that thread, so when I responded in that thread,,, you closed that one.

When you post a response, maybe you should read the responses,,, like up above,,, you responded to questions, with some questions,, and your questions needed some clarifications,,, which you did not respond to,, so how am I supposed to answer your question if you dont clarify tham as needed?

go ahead now and shut me down again,,, Ive only been trying to get my problem resolved for over a month,,, wont be renewing this licence with this awfull support! Wonder if the other vendors have employees with education levels above the 4th grade?

• Unknown
    edited October 2011

I did not shut you down. Furthermore, my questions were simple:

1. How did you try to add those PC to the Network?

2. What happens when you try to add them?

3. What are the Firewall settings under 'Network Details' for each of the PCs you try to add to the network?

4. Why do you have/keep the Firewall disabled?

I needed that answered to proceed

- I truly doubt that you couldn't answer the questions above without me providing more details;

I understand you are trying to get the issue resolved however this is impossible if you don't even mention what happens when you are trying a certain thing.

Wonder if the other vendors have employees with education levels above the 4th grade?

- now you are offending me and that's against forum rules.

With all due respect however you should read your posts and the emails you've sent again. You have ALL the information already sent. Whenever you will provide me with the info I need to be able to get to a conclusion, you will have my answer and a possible resolution to the issue you encounter.

post-20064-1317522711_thumb.jpg

• I did not shut you down. Furthermore, my questions were simple:

1. How did you try to add those PC to the Network?

2. What happens when you try to add them?

3. What are the Firewall settings under 'Network Details' for each of the PCs you try to add to the network?

4. Why do you have/keep the Firewall disabled?

- I truly doubt that you couldn't answer the questions above without me providing more details;

I understand you are trying to get the issue resolved however this is impossible if you don't even mention what happens when you are trying a certain thing.

- now you are offending me and that's against forum rules.

With all due respect however you should read your posts and the emails you've sent again. You have ALL the information already sent. Whenever you will provide me with the info I need to be able to get to a conclusion, you will have my answer and a possible resolution to the issue you encounter.

Im not fensing with you,, your in charge here,,, You closed my previouse postings therefor I could not respond, so now im here,,, I started my postings over in the 2010 section because thats what I was using,, went several weeks without a response THAT INCLUDES NO EMAIL response,, I was forced to upgrade due to lack of support to 2012,,, here I am,,, I got 2 emails so far for a response, and one still pending over a week because I was instructed to do something but there was no procedure as to HOW (another surpise). Im not even bothering to comment on the rest of your quotes, when you finish with your training there, I would highly advise a step up, perhaps McDonalds,,,,,

• Dear BitDefender guys,

Fakum user has some point, not all, but some...

I use BitDefender since 2009 and since then it's very hard to put Home Network working... I don't know why BitDefender insist on it... why not abandon if they don't know how to do it?

I sincerely hope this feature continue and once for all to put it working...

Best Regards

• Dear BitDefender guys,

Fakum user has some point, not all, but some...

I use BitDefender since 2009 and since then it's very hard to put Home Network working... I don't know why BitDefender insist on it... why not abandon if they don't know how to do it?

I sincerely hope this feature continue and once for all to put it working...

Best Regards

I have lashed out here because I was frustrated with the tech support. I havnt highlighted my points in this thread because its futile! I was content with this software until problems arose,, networking was one of two issues,,,, I searched for a solution, found a relative thread, posted in it and waited weeks before continuing to post in it again,,, that was the 2010 section. I got frustrated and upgraded to 2012 in hopes of resolving,, the upgrade did not resolve so I searched again,, found a relative thread that was open, and posted,,, again,,, nothing,,, created another,,, nothing for a bit then tech support closed it because it was relative to another post i had posted in, he linked the now closed thread to the previouse post, and made comments in there instead of responding to my question and closed that one,,, now im in here,,,,, Im done with my rant,,, let the little man with the big button shut me down again,,,,, Im disgusted with the lack of professionalism Ive been subject to. I have dealt with many of tech support,,, never like this though,,, typically its starte your problem, then communicate resolve in steps,,,,, its been many, many weeks since Ive posted initially,,, I received 2 emails recently,,,,, Not what a paying customer expects,,,

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi

Sorry for the delayed reply.

In order to create a Network Map between your machines please follow all the steps from below:

Hello all,

We would like you to follow the steps bellow and let us know how it worked for you:

First of all manually create a BitDefender Trusted Zone between the computers in that Network:

- open the BitDefender window;

- click on Network details.

- click on Local/Wireless Area Connection, set the Trust Level to Trusted local, the Stealth to Remote and the Generic to Yes; close the window.

- go to Settings from the top right corner;

- select Firewall;

- open the Network tab;

- select the used network under Zones (either Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection) from the zones field;

- click on the icon with a "+" from the Zones part;

- enter the IP address for the second computer;

- from the Action menu, select Allow;

- click on OK;

- you should see a zone being added in the Zones list;

- perform the same steps on the other computer creating a zone with this computer.

Now please share at least one folder on the network on each computer. In order to do this please right click on a folder -> choose Properties -> go to the Sharing tab -> select Share this folder -> click Apply and then OK.

Please also go to Start -> Run (for Windows XP) or Start -> Search (for Windows Vista and Windows 7) type the command: ncpa.cpl - and hit Enter. Now please right click on the Local/Wireless area connection -> choose Properties and make sure that the 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' is enabled.

In order to be able to configure a Home Network with all the computers, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to each computer from the Network. In order to create a network please open BitDefender, click on Settings, go to the Home Network module, click on Enable Network and set a password for each computer.

2. Add the other computers by IP (on every computer) or by name and they should be added to the network.

Note: The first password required is the one you set on this computer, the second one is for the Remote computer you want to Add in the Network.

Thank you.

• I followed all of the step that Crisit has provided. On the computer I want to use to manage the other with I set up as a Server. I then try to enter a password on the client computers and it tell me:this pc is currently managed remotely by another pc in your household. you can chose to leave this connection or start a new network by clicking the button. has anyone had luck getting this to work?

• Hi

If that message is displayed in Bitdefender, the Network Map is active on that machine.

this pc is currently managed remotely by another pc in your household

Thank you.

• so am i going to be able to control that computer with the server computer. i thought one computer had to be the server and the rest the clients--however when i set up a compter as server i try to enter the same password on the others and it give me that message about the pc being maaged remotely--i can search for the client computers and they show up but when i try to add them i get the message that bit defender is not installed or they are inaccessible? i don get how i can manges these other computers if i can't add them to the map

• Hi

Thank you for your reply.

In the current case, please make sure that you have the following:

- all the systems should be on 32 bits or on 64bits.

- you should have at least one file shared

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...es-with-someone

- open up Bitdefender from your desktop icon and click on Settings. Go to the Firewall module and make sure that Internet connection sharing is set to ON.

- the PC's should be connected with cable.

If you need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day.

• Hi

Thank you for your reply.

In the current case, please make sure that you have the following:

- all the systems should be on 32 bits or on 64bits.

- you should have at least one file shared

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...es-with-someone

- open up Bitdefender from your desktop icon and click on Settings. Go to the Firewall module and make sure that Internet connection sharing is set to ON.

- the PC's should be connected with cable.

If you need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day.

• so from what i see--a person will not be able to utilize this if one computer is running 32 bits and another is running 64 bits and the computers must be connected by cable no wireless and if these conditions aren't met i can not use the network map feature--if this is true then i woudl say this needs to be mentioned in the advertising

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011

Hi

Let me explain you why do you need to have the same architecture on those machines: the updates for 32 bit systems are sometimes different than the ones for 64 bit.

Also, for security reasons, the Network Map can not be used over wireless networks.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I will forward your request to the appropriate department.

Have a nice day.

• I was able to get it working (after quite a bit of troubleshooting).

As an FYI, I'm running 2 laptops with Win 7 Pro x64.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Disabled the BitDefender firewall on both PCs.

2. Enabled the network on the 1st PC and set it as the Server Computer.

3. Enabled the network on the 2nd PC as the Client Computer. Received the message "This PC is currently managed by remotely by another PC in your household.....". Left the message up.

4. Went back to the 1st PC and clicked on one of the open PC boxes and chose "Add a computer". The 2nd PC displayed and I was able to add it (although others may still need to add by IP). Put in the password I setup on the 2nd PC and it worked.

5. Re-enabled firewall on both.

Hope this helps.

• Hi Etherial :)

This tutorial is quite useful for novice users.

Thank you for your feedback. Take care.

• Am I the only one troubled by the fact that a member and not a Tech support employee seems to be the the one providing a clear answer this question? I'm not yet at the end of my rope with the issues I've encountered since upgrading to 2012, but I've seen quite a few people who are. Have to say, it doesn't inspire confidence.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi :)

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

• For those of you still having problems, here is the solution (without requiring disabling firewalls) that has worked for my network on multiple computers (note this solution has ONLY been tested on BitDefender 2012 - I do not know if older BitDefender versions use different ports/methods). In addition, it also works through the wireless network which doesn't match what the tech support had posted in this message thread. Also...it works with mixed 64-bit and 32-bit OS, also not matching what the tech support had posted (although they are all Windows 7 computers...since I haven't had a chance to test on a Windows Vista or Windows XP computer, but I don't see why it wouldn't work).

Anyway, the solution is very simple...open your firewall program and add an inbound TCP port 55555 rule/exception. For Windows 7 users, here are the exact steps:

1) Click Start and type in "firewall"

2) One of the options will be "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security", select it

3) Once started, select "Inbound Rules" in the left hand pane

4) Either right click on "Inboud Rules" and select "New Rule..." or on the left side pane select "New Rule..."

5) For "Rule Type" select "Port" and then click the "Next" button

6) Select the "TCP" port type along with 55555 as the port number and then click the "Next" button

7) Select the "Allow the connection" which should already be selected and then click the "Next" button

8) Apply the rules to "Domain" and "Private" and unselect the "Public" (unless you want to have an exposed port to everyone that is) and then click the Next button (hopefully you have not setup your normal home/work internet as public...otherwise this won't work and you should change it to Domain or Private to make your computer more secure when working offsite).

9) Name it "BitDefender Network Mapping TCP 55555" - this is just a suggested name, you can technically name it anything you want but this makes the most sense

10) Click the "Finish" button

You need to do this on any computer you want the network mapping to work including the Server computer. Other operating systems (or 3rd party firewalls) will require different steps, but the same applies. You need to open in inbound/incoming TCP port 55555 exception and that's it. You don't need an outbound/outgoing rule since default is to not block outgoing traffic. If you have setup your firewall to block outgoing traffic though, then you will need to repeat the above steps but in the outbound section.

Now go into BitDefender's Network Map view and click the "Add Computer". The "Auto discover" may or may not work...but the "Add Computer" has worked every time. When you see the computer you want to add, select and it and click the "Add" button. It will ask for your network password again and in the case of the wireless computer test I had to repeat this process twice (don't know why), but aside from that...it has worked perfectly every time.

Simply disabling the firewall works but suffers two problems:

1) The moment you re-enable the firewalls the computer shows offline and isn't accessible anymore no matter what

2) Leaving the firewall disabled so you can have the network mapping function isn't a good idea. You completely open your computer to the public (especially laptops used offsite) and defeat the purpose of having a firewall.

I'm a software engineer and network administrator working for Oolution Technologies (http://OolutionTech.com) and figured out this process by simply turning on logging in the firewall to show dropped packets (or in other words, blocked traffic) and then attempted to add a computer to the network map (in order to trigger communication attempts). You do this by right clicking on the main "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security on Local Computer" section (this is after you have started the program in the above steps) and selecting the "Customize" button in the "Logging" section. Then selecting "Yes" to "Logged dropped packets:" option and selecting OK. Oh, before that make note of the log file's location and navigate to it so you can review the log file. It took a little bit of trying a few different ports one at a time (and deleting them when they didn't work) shown in the log file since other traffic was occurring simultaneously (not related to BitDefender). Total time for this process was about 10 minutes. Don't know why the tech support individual wouldn't know what TCP port network mapping uses.

Jason

• Excellent information Jason, thanks for taking the time to post the steps and tips. I don't even have my PCs networked, and found this interesting. :)

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012

Hi Jason

Interesting discovery. It's very useful for those that use Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2012 :)

Since this is a general topic and in some cases the issue is related to 3rd party products(other security products), please open a new topic and we will continue the discussions over there.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.