Very Disapointed Of Safebox

I just bought Bitdefender and part of the reason I did choose this Anti-virus was about the backup feature. I thought it would be a good fit for me. So I install everything and start playing with safebox and quickly got very disapointed. I realized that it is missing a lot of basic features that any backup system should have.

- You have no control of the online content, you cannot delete or manage it or anything. So if you backup a wrong folder by mistake or just over time by backuping different files, you will use your 2 gigs and never see it again, you are basically screwed. (not mentioning that when I click on upgrade, I end up to a page saying I do not have a product to manage it)

- You cannot remove subfolders from a backed up folders. It will always include ALL subfolders. Being a developer, this basically mean that you will not only backup your source code, but the object files as well. It does not take long to use your 2 gigs

- You cannot generate scheduled backup and snapshots. On the same topic, you cannot restore all files from a snapshot, you have to manually select each files you want to restore from a certain point.

- If you want to restore deleted files, it will restore the whole content of the folder, you cannot choose which file(s) you want to restore.

- You cannot compare previous version to new version, so if you want to restore a file from before, you have to shoot in the dark to figure out which version you want to restore.

I think the concept is interesting (auto backup and auto file versioning) but this really need a major upgrade to become usable for any serious backup.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi and welcome to our forums.

First off all, thank you for your feedback.

- some change will be implemented soon in the product regarding to the Safebox module. I don't have an ETA for this.

- you don't need to schedule a backup. Our module checks the local files for changes and the backup is made automatically(incremental).

For the other ideas, I will forward your request to our Dev Team. I can not guarantee you that your request will be approved.

Thank you for your understanding. Have a nice day.

• - You have no control of the online content, you cannot delete or manage it or anything. So if you backup a wrong folder by mistake or just over time by backuping different files, you will use your 2 gigs and never see it again, you are basically screwed. (not mentioning that when I click on upgrade, I end up to a page saying I do not have a product to manage it)

- You cannot remove subfolders from a backed up folders. It will always include ALL subfolders. Being a developer, this basically mean that you will not only backup your source code, but the object files as well. It does not take long to use your 2 gigs

- You cannot generate scheduled backup and snapshots. On the same topic, you cannot restore all files from a snapshot, you have to manually select each files you want to restore from a certain point.

- If you want to restore deleted files, it will restore the whole content of the folder, you cannot choose which file(s) you want to restore.

- You cannot compare previous version to new version, so if you want to restore a file from before, you have to shoot in the dark to figure out which version you want to restore.

More feedback for the SAFEBOX and marketing teams.

I'm new to Bitdefender, switching from McAfee after finally noticing that it was no longer scoring sufficiently well on detecting non-virus malware.

I'm happy with Bitdefender overall, and overall I'm going to be recommending to my extended family and their businesses.

But the online backup part of Bitdefender is a very big step from what McAfee had and I strongly recommend your design team look at that as a example of what to copy. Of course McAfee had a headstart because they bought Mosey.

Acronis too has a pretty good interface. But Acronis has way too many generic error messages mean no way will I recommend it to anyone I have to support. They identify neither the nature of the error nor where it is occurring. (I'm not recommending any products that I can clearly see will have me sitting on the phone, or in chat help, or posting in forums. In my feedback to Acronis I told them support is not an adequate replacement for meaningful error messages.)

1. A backup and restore really needs to have a file tree view.

2. In restore mode, for each file and folder it needs to present a snapshot as of date X option.

3. Marketing guys: You need to not exceed McAfee's price by a factor of more than 10%. Currently you're 2 to 4 times McAfee and Acronis when a person goes above the token 2GB. (For a lot of folks the 2GB free space is really just a promotion for a larger capacity storage product.)

4. McAfee backup gets all weird and mysterious when you need to do a clean re-install or move your old computer to a new computer. This is an area where Bitdefender could jump ahead easily.

5. While not as bad as Acronis Online, McAfee does still have some cryptic un-meaningful error messages. Back 35 years ago in Assembler we were stuck with no alternative but to use numbers and stupid short messages. We were stuck due to architectural limitations of 370 Assembler. For McAfee to be using error numbers instead of meaningful messages is total lameness. So that is another area where you could leap ahead. Give reason for the error and which folder/subfolder was being processed.

So for now I'll be sticking with McAfee's Backup, but switching to Bitdefender for AV. From what I've read Bitdefender is far better at keeping malware out, excellent scores, so congrats on that!

That is my 2 cents on this. Thanks for reading.

- Keith

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011

Hi Keith :)

Some changes will be made to the Safebox, and I am talking here about both functionality and features.

I can not provide you more details for now because the information is confidential, but you will see tome changes soon, and by "soon" I mean next year(2012).

Thank you for your feedback. All the data has been forwarded to our Project Manager.

Take care. Happy Holidays!

• i'll subscribe to this topic since i hear bitdefender is top security software and i have plan to buy this product. now i using eset because of friendly user interface and easy to setting

• Hello :)

Some changes will be made to the Safebox module.

As you can see, we have a beta standalone Bitdefender Safebox here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/safebox/

Thank you for your feedback.

• I would like to know if it is possible to disable Safeboxservice.exe? I don't use that part of my BitDefender Total Security 2012 as I have another proprietary online backup application, and I find Safeboxservce.exe consumes approximately 1 MB of RAM. All the rest of TS 2012 I love. Thanks.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

You can not turn off that service because is protected.

If you want to turn off the module, set Auto Sync to off in the main interface, under the Safebox module.

In these days, 1 MB of RAM for a service is not that much.

Take care.

• Hello :)

If you want to turn off the module, set Auto Sync to off in the main interface, under the Safebox module.

Take care.

I just stumbled across this thread.

Start->Run->services.msc find "Safebox Service" it's not in the "Bitdefender" area of the list. Right click on the entry, stop the task then under properties set the startup to disabled. I don't use it and even though it's low resource, it's another process I don't need generating network traffic, even with Auto Sync disabled.

:-)

• wazzup
    edited February 2013
    Hello :)

Take care.

It takes at avarage of 25 mb of memory (private working set) from my system. I too don't really need it. I didn't buy Bitdefender for this feature.

Then why it is on despite i having it on "OFF" as default? I've never touched it before.

Thanks!