No Internet Connection When Firewall Is Turned On

Hi.

I have just installed Bit Defender Internet Security 2012.

When I turn on the Bit Defender Firewall Module, I lose internet connection and I even lose connectivity to my Local LAN.

This is the same problem since 2010. I used Bit Defender Internet Security 2010, 2011 and 2012 but I experienced the same problem.

Please note that when I am connected at home (where I have 1 Flat Network), I have no problems with Internet Connectivity with the Firewall turned on.

When I am here in the office, I can't connect to the Internet with the Firewall turned on.

I have attached our office Network Topology for added information.

Please note that this INTERNET problems via wireless connections only happen inside our office. When I bring my Laptop at home and use my Wireless connection at home, I experience no problems.

post-81472-1321429709_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Hi cynergy and welcome to our forums.

We recommend you to make sure the Firewall settings are allowing the PC communication with the internet as follows:

- open Bitdefender, go to Firewall panel and make sure it is turned on

- click on "Network details" and locate the adapter. It is either Local Area Connection if the device is connected by cable or Wireless Area connection if it is a wireless device

- for this particular adapter please set

*Network type to Trusted

* Stealth mode to Off

* Generic to Yes

and click Close.

Should you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

• Hi. Thanks for the reply. I already did what you said. Please attached screenshots for my firewall settings.

These are what I've done so far:

1. Uninstalled then re-installed the product.

2. Reset the Firewall rules.

3. Manually created the firewall settings.

What am I missing?

Let me repeat, this problem ONLY happens when my Laptop is connected in an"Enterprise Network", not when I am in "Flat" Network.

What other things can be done to fix this?

post-81472-1321484035_thumb.jpg

post-81472-1321484092_thumb.jpg

post-81472-1321484109_thumb.jpg

post-81472-1321484133_thumb.jpg

post-81472-1321484144_thumb.jpg

post-81472-1321484156_thumb.jpg

post-81472-1321484166_thumb.jpg

• cynergy
    edited November 2011

I would like to add this:

When the Bit Defender Firewall is turned on, Wireshark Sniffer Trace does not see any packet leaving the Wireless NIC.

For more information about Wireshark and what it can do, please check this link:

Wireshark Information

Let me emphasize, this does NOT happen when I am in 1 Flat Network bordered by the WAN Router. When I am in a Enterprise Network (A Network where the DNS and WAN Router is located on another subnet), this problem happens. Please see attached Topology for the differences. Home Network and Office Network Topologies are attached. I have no problem in the home network. I only have problems in the office network.

Please tell me the next action plan! I have been dealing with this for almost 1 year now and I would appreciate it if this issue will be finally resolved. I'll be looking for your quick reply and please do NOT give me CANNED responses. Thanks.

post-81472-1321485321_thumb.jpg

• cynergy
    edited November 2011

This is the Topology for the Office Network. This is where I have problems with the Laptop with the Bit Defender Firewall turned on.

NOTE: I experience problems when the Bit Defender Firewall is turned on and I am connected via Wireless Connections. I do NOT experience the problem when the Bit Defender Firewall is turned on BUT I connect using Wired Connections.

To emphasize the problem again, I ONLY experience the problem under the following circumstances:

1. Bit Defender Firewall is turned on.

2. I am connected via Wireless Connections.

3. When I am in the Enterprise Network as seen on this topology.

Please give me an appropriate action plan and NOT some CANNED response. Thank you.

post-81472-1321486734_thumb.jpg

• I almost forgot, these are the previous ticket numbers about the exact same problem and exact same devices:

On all of them, it was resolved by resetting the Firewall Rules, uninstalling/re-installing the software and upgrading to the latest version. But no one gave a clear reason why this was happening in the first place. Thanks.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011

Welcome back.

I was able to find only the last ticket ID: 201111151023631 in the system.

I managed to read all your comments. Let's see now: in some cases, our firewall, based on the system rules, network profiles(from Windows), the settings from our product, blocks some requests and restricts access to some network resources/connections.

In the current situation, please create a zone for the device's/server's IP address:

- open Bitdefender

- click on Settings

- go to Firewall module

- turn ON "Internet Connection Sharing" and turn OFF "Block port scans"

- go to Advanced tab

- click on Adapter rules

- select the corresponding adapter and click on "Add zone" button

- select the IP address from the list or enter it manually, set Permission to Allow and click OK

Note: you can simply put only the IP or use IP/subnet mask. Since you have all those Cisco certifications, I think you know the structure of that network. :)

Add all those IPs from your Office Network.

Should you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. Take care.

• cynergy
    edited November 2011

Cristi,

I already did all that. But still nothing changes.

Added the networks into the whitelist, etc...

I've been playing around with the Bit Defender for a lot of time now.

Here's some questions I hope you can answer for me:

1. When I go to a website (example: www.google.com) and my Laptop sends out a DNS Request, what is the difference on how Bit Defender processes DNS Requests when I use my Wireless NIC and Ethernet NIC?

2. Is there specific protion of Bit Defender Logs that I can view detailed information how the Firewall Module processes Layer 2 to Layer 7 data?

3. Is there anything else I can check? I have to turn off the Bit Defender Firewall when I am connecting to the Office Wireless Connections.

4. Finally, is there any telephone number that I can call? I just need to get this fixed and I need to talk to someone?

NOTE:

By the way, "yes", I know the network because we built it. Also, when you said: "Add all those IPs from your Office Network.", though I tried this and it didn't work, this suggestion is NOT ideal because we are talking about several non-contigious blocks of /16 Networks. This is the reason why we use EIGRP and OSPF in the network for routing.

• nikki605
    edited November 2011
    4. Finally, is there any telephone number that I can call? I just need to get this fixed and I need to talk to someone?

Look in the BD About window as explained in this pinned topic. You will find contact phone numbers there.

Or, see the last paragraph on this Support page and log into your BD account to find Support cntact information for your location.

Regards,

• cynergy
    edited November 2011
    Look in the BD About window as explained in this pinned topic. You will find contact phone numbers there.

Regards,

Thanks for the reply, Sir. Unfortunately, I am not in the US or Canada.

• I added some additional information to my post:

Or, see the last paragraph on this Support page and log into your BD account to find Support contact information for your location.

Regards,

• Thanks, Gary. I'll try this.

• Thanks, Gary. I'll try this.

Thanks for your suggestion. I found this link:

Bit Defender Phone Support

Even if my country is not listed here, I'm happy to have found this page. I guess I'll just call the Worldwide contact and pray that the long distance charges won't cost an arm and a leg. :-)

• Hello cynergy

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Let me answer to your questions.

1. Regarding the DNS request, there's no difference between wireless or cable. It all depend on the settings.

2. This information is not visible in the logs from the product.

3 + note: You could add those IP with the 16 bit netmask for Zones.

Example:

IP/16

Thank you for your time. :)

We recommend you to make sure the Firewall settings are allowing the PC communication with the internet as follows:

- click on "Network details" and locate the adapter. It is either Local Area Connection if the device is connected by cable or Wireless Area connection if it is a wireless device

*Network type to Trusted

* Stealth mode to Off

* Generic to Yes

and click Close.

Have a nice day.

Why would you sugguest setting the stealth mode to off?

• Hi Alex

That is only for testing purposes. We need to find the cause. If we eliminate some factors, then the settings can be readjusted.

Thank you.

*Network type to Trusted

* Stealth mode to Off

* Generic to Yes

and click Close.

Have a nice day.

Hello,

I noticed this is quite a old post but I am currently having the same problem with Bitdefender internet security 2016 . On my new windows 10 device after some new updates got installed this issue started with my home router . The firewall blocks my internet connection and both the wifi and LAN network . Once I turn off the module it works without issues . I want the firewall to be running as this PC is for my parents who don't know the details into the computer and I want the firewall to be working for there daily use (without further issues) . I was looking into any details or problems also I might have missed while solving this issues as the steps you provide did not work for me .

I wave a Acer aspire E5-575

it came with windows 10 pre installed it has a 64 bit processor.