Firewall General Rules

Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP / FTP

Allow or deny HTTP and FTP traffic from Windows Explorer.

By default, this type of connection is denied.

I don't understand why traffic is denied by default from Windows Explorer. Doesn't that stop me from uploading files to anyone. On one point it allows web browsing but stops other HTTP traffic. Should I enable this or what. I'm confused as to what is being blocked by leaving this setting default.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012

Hello :)

Welcome back.

The HTTP traffic is denied by default for Windows Explorer because some malware could inject into this process and all the data will be send to the attacker using this legitimate part of Microsoft Windows.

No, this will not stop upload to different servers because these components are independent.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.

• Hello :)

Welcome back.

The HTTP traffic is denied by default for Windows Explorer because some malware could inject into this process and all the data will be send to the attacker using this legitimate part of Microsoft Windows.

No, this will not stop upload to different servers because these components are independent.

Take care.

So then this setting staying the way it is by default really won't change anything that I need? If so that's great and thank you for your quick and steady answers.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

No, it won't have a negative impact on the system, but for safety reasons, is set to Deny by default.

Take care.

• Windows Explorer is primarily used to browse for files inside a computer. Blocking http traffic would be reasonable.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Windows Explorer can be also used for FTP operations.

A firewall rules for this is also applied.

Thank you.

• Hello.

I am new to Bitdefender. I just installed the new beta 2015 Total Security on my home computers and am trying to adjust the firewall settings to allow some things that are being blocked.

I have XP Professional on one of my computers. I use the active desktop to display a regional radar map from Accu-Weather in the upper-right corner of my desktop and a current US surface map from the Weather Channel in the lower-right corner.

Bitdefender's firewall is blocking those items from being updated. I went into the firewall rules and allowed mobsync.exe thinking that would solve the problem.....it did not. Then I showed the general rules and saw Windows Explorer traffic on http was set to deny. I set it to allow, then my desktop items were then allowed to update.

I did a search in this forum on the setting and see here that I should not allow that activity. Is there a way I can be more detailed with that rule as to make an exception to allow my desktop items to get through?

I guess that is why Microsoft did away with the active desktop because of this vulnerablility.

I have another computer running Windows 7 Professional which uses Snippage to simulate the active desktop. I did not have to set any rules on Bitdefender and I have no problem receiving the updates for Snippage.

Thank you in advance for your help.