Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How To Remove Adware.mywebsearch.bv

Options

I have run a deep system scan, which found adware.mywebsearch.bv. Bit Defender cannot disinfect, quarantine or remove these files. How do I remove them? What is the danger from these files? I am pasting the log here.

//-----------------------------------------------------------------

//

// ProductBitDefender Antivirus Plus v10

// Product10.2

//

// Created on: 07/11/2007 21:58:47

//

//-----------------------------------------------------------------

Virus Statistics

Scan path : C:\

D:\

Folders : 10829

Files : 541016

Memory processes scanned : 62

Archives : 35908

Runtime packers : 36383

Identified viruses : 2

Infected files : 6

Memory processes infected : 0

Suspect files : 0

Warnings : 0

Disinfected files : 0

Deleted files : 6

Moved files : 0

I/O errors : 44

Scan time : 01:04:17

Scan speed (files/sec) : 140

Spyware Statistics

Registry keys scanned : 1756

Registry keys infected : 0

Cookies scanned : 142

Cookies infected : 0

Spyware files infected : 0

Spyware threats detected : 0

Virus definitions : 932931

Scan plugins : 16

Archive plugins : 41

Unpack plugins : 7

Mail plugins : 6

System plugins : 5

Virus scan options

Detection

[X] Scan boot sectors

[X] Memory Processes

[X] Scan archives

[X] Scan runtime packers

[X] Scan email

File mask

[ ] Programs

[X] All files

[ ] User defined extensions:

[ ] Exclude extensions: ;

Action

Infected objects

[ ] Ignore

[X] Disinfect

[ ] Delete

[ ] Move to quarantine

[ ] Prompt user

Second action

[ ] Ignore

[X] Delete

[ ] Move to quarantine

[ ] Prompt user

Virus scan options

[X] Enable warnings

[X] Enable heuristics

[ ] Show all files in log

[X] Report file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Bitdefender\Desktop\Profiles\Logs\deep_scan\1194494327.log

Spyware scan options

[X] Scan for riskware

[ ] Skip dial and applications from scan

[X] Registry keys

[X] Cookies

Summary:

C:\hp\bin\wbug\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>wise0016 Detected: Adware.Mywebsearch.BV

C:\hp\bin\wbug\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>wise0016 Disinfection failed

C:\hp\bin\wbug\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>wise0016 Deleted

C:\hp\bin\wbug\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe Archive repacking has failed (marked actions not taken)

C:\hp\bin\wbug\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r)=>wise0016 Detected: Adware.Mywebsearch.BV

C:\hp\bin\wbug\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r)=>wise0016 Disinfection failed

C:\hp\bin\wbug\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r)=>wise0016 Deleted

C:\hp\bin\wbug\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r) Archive repacking has failed (marked actions not taken)

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>wise0016 Detected: Adware.Mywebsearch.BV

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>wise0016 Disinfection failed

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>wise0016 Deleted

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe Archive repacking has failed (marked actions not taken)

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r)=>wise0016 Detected: Adware.Mywebsearch.BV

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r)=>wise0016 Disinfection failed

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r)=>wise0016 Deleted

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r) Archive repacking has failed (marked actions not taken)

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\HPPavillion_Spring06.exe=>wise0016 Detected: Adware.Mywebsearch.BV

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\HPPavillion_Spring06.exe=>wise0016 Disinfection failed

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\HPPavillion_Spring06.exe=>wise0016 Deleted

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\HPPavillion_Spring06.exe Archive repacking has failed (marked actions not taken)

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\HPPavillion_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r)=>wise0016 Detected: Adware.Mywebsearch.BV

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\HPPavillion_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r)=>wise0016 Disinfection failed

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\HPPavillion_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r)=>wise0016 Deleted

D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\HPPavillion_Spring06.exe=>(Embedded EXE r) Archive repacking has failed (marked actions not taken)

Comments

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello Kibbitzmom,

All infected files are archived in installation kits of various applications, and that's why BitDefender cannot clean/move/delete them. The solution in these cases is to manually delete the hole installation kits.

However: the infected files appear to have somehow official names. Do you, by any chance, have a HP computer? Do you happen to know what those applications are (the ones listed as infected)? Maybe they came with your computer (in which case you have nothing to worry about).

Mywebsearch is an adware which can be used both for good and bad things. It send somewhere data about what you seach on the internet, so someone knows your interests. If this is done by an official company, which tries to improve it's services, and you agree to use this adware so that company can achieve it's goal, then it's perfectly OK.

On the other hand, if this adware is planted inside your system without our knowledge, nor approval, someone else could know absolutely everything you do on the internet.

So what's your case? Do you know those applications, or not?

If you don't know them (or even if you do know them, but you still want to remove them), then just delete the reported files (find them in Explorer and simply delete them). Also, post here a HijackThis! log, because this adware adds itself somewhere else in your system and HijackThis can help you find where (and also helps you remove it). If you decide to post a HijackThis! log, please copy the text inside the post (if you attach the log as a TXT file, I won't be ale to see it, because on this section, only BD Virus Analysts have access to attachments).

Also, there's the possibility that this is a False Positive (clean files, wrongly reported as infected). If you believe this is your case, then put the files in a ZIP file protected by the password infected and attach it to your next post.

Cris.

• Hi Cris,

Thanks for your reply. It appears that at least part of this is from Weatherbug. I can delete the installation kit for Weatherbug, which came with the HP computer (right you were!), but the odd thing is that the last deep system scan I did before this one did not show any of this stuff.

Furthermore, those files that are listed as being on the D drive are in the system restore files. Not sure how I can even get to those.

Also, I can't swear to this, but I seem to remember deleting the Weatherbug installation files before, and now they are back. So all of this is rather disconcerting.

I will try HijackThis!

Thanks!

Kibbitzmom

• Here is the HijackThis! log. Thanks for any help you can give.

Kibbitzmom

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 6:26:55 PM, on 11/9/2007

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\Softwin\BITDEF~1\bdmcon.exe

C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\bdagent.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

C:\Program Files\Compaq Connections\5577497\Program\Compaq Connections.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\DataViz\DvzIncMsgr.exe

C:\Program Files\palmOne\Hotsync.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\TabUserW.exe

C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\NaturallySpeaking\Program\natspeak.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\arservice.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\vssvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoSTS08.exe

c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\DISC\DISCover.exe

C:\Program Files\DISC\DiscUpdMgr.exe

C:\Program Files\DISC\DiscStreamHub.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jucheck.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe

C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe

C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: hpWebHelper Class - {AAAE832A-5FFF-4661-9C8F-369692D1DCB9} - C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\plugin\WebHelper.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ftutil2] rundll32.exe ftutil2.dll,SetWriteCacheMode

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlwaysReady Power Message APP] ARPWRMSG.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPBootOp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bDMCon] C:\PROGRA~1\Softwin\BITDEF~1\bdmcon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bDAgent] "C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\bdagent.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSDrvCheck.exe -CheckReg

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

O4 - Startup: Dragon NaturallySpeaking.lnk = C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\NaturallySpeaking\Program\natspeak.exe

O4 - Startup: palmOne Registration.lnk = C:\Program Files\palmOne\register.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Compaq Connections.lnk = C:\Program Files\Compaq Connections\5577497\Program\Compaq Connections.exe

O4 - Global Startup: DataViz Inc Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\DataViz\DvzIncMsgr.exe

O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\palmOne\Hotsync.exe

O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe

O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe

O4 - Global Startup: TabUserW.exe.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\TabUserW.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra button: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O11 - Options group: [iNTERNATIONAL] International*

O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.trymedia.com (HKLM)

O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX Control) - http://www.ipix.com/download/ipixx.cab

O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab

O16 - DPF: {BB383206-6DA1-4E80-B62A-3DF950FCC697} (Create & Print ActiveX Plug-in) - http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/cp/install/AxCtp2.cab

O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll

O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

O23 - Service: Adobe Active File Monitor (AdobeActiveFileMonitor) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: BitDefender Scan Server (bdss) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe" /service (file missing)

O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: BitDefender Desktop Update Service (LIVESRV) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe" /service (file missing)

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: Photoshop Elements Device Connect (PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect.exe

O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Tablet.exe

O23 - Service: BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe" /service (file missing)

O23 - Service: BitDefender Communicator (XCOMM) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe" /service (file missing)

• Niels
    Options

Hello Kibbitzmom

That is the default backup partition of all hp pc's. You can't move or delete files from that location or even access that partition.

It could be a false positiv.

Your log is clean. But you are still using an out date java version. I recommend that you remove java and java runtime environment via add/remove , software. Close your browser. Reboot your pc and install the newest version afterwards.

Download this new version.

Best regards

Niels

• Hi Niels!

That's a relief! I will install the new Java. Thanks so much for your help.

Kibbitzmom

• Niels
    Options

Hello Kibbitzmom

Glad that I could help you.

Best regards

Niels

• Please upload D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe and D:\I386\APPS\APP17678\src\HPPavillion_Spring06.exe; they appear to be false positives.

• Niels
    Options

Hello Kibbitzmom

To do that what Vlad said you have to disable a start up program called recguard. To do that press the windows button together with r type msconfig press enter go to the start up / boot tab and uncheck recguard. Reboot your pc normally you are now able to access d. When it's done check the entry back and restart.

Best regards

Niels

• I will do that this evening. I'm at work, not at my home computer.

Thanks for all your help, Vlad, Niels and Cris!

Kibbitzmom

• Niels,

I followed your instructions and rebooted. I still cannot get access to the recovery partition files. As the computer was rebooting, it did ask if I wanted to use XP Media or the Recovery Console. Should I use Recovery Console to get access to those files?

Kibbitzmom

• Niels
    Options

Hello Kibbitzmom

You should choose XP Media. Recovery console is when you have problems and would like to repair your current windows installation. Do you receive an error message when you try to access d? If so which message?

Best regards

Niels

• I did use XP Media. What I was trying to do was see the files using My Computer so that I could copy them and send them in. When I try to enter the path in the address bar, it tells me that the location can't be found. The only thing I can see in the window is a message telling me that this is the recovery partition and that I shouldn't alter anything. I've tried using the View menu to allow me to see hidden and system files, at which point I can see several other folders on the partition but still can't see into those folders.

Should I be navigating to those files some way other than My Computer? Sorry I'm so clueless! I think I'm in over my head here.

Kibbitzmom