Product Update Reboot Popup

One of the advertised selling points of BitDefender was that it did not display annoying popup messages. Now I am getting constant reminders to reboot my PC due to a product update. How do I disable these popups permanently?

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012

Hello :)

You can not bypass that pop-up. It is a safety measure that we have taken because some of our customers let their PCs turned on for months and our product updates were not installed properly.

You will receive that warning once a month when we release a product.

Thank you in advance for understanding.

Have a great weekend!

• If your users aren't rebooting their PCs perhaps it is because they choose not to? Considering your product is supposed to prevent nagware I find it extremely disappointing the software is now acting as such. If the popups are the result of product updates and cannot be disabled, how do I disable product updates?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

We do not recommend you to disable product updates. We release new features and updates one a month and for your security, please reboot your PC when you are prompted.

Have a great weekend!

• Christian,

I didn't ask for your opinion, I asked how to disable the updates.

• Hello :)

You can disable forever the product update module in this way:

1. Restart your PC in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in SAFE MODE]

- Restart the computer;

- Press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select "SAFE MODE"

[how to disable Bitdefender product updates]:

1. Locate the file:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2012\update_components.xml

2. Open the file with Notepad and modify the following line:

<Product enabled="1" name="00010004000500010001000600050001" type="0" id="-1">

Basically you will modify the "1" into "0" (only the first "1" from the line).

The line should look like this after the change:

<Product enabled="0" name="00010004000500010001000600050001" type="0" id="-1">

3. Save the file (overwrite the original XML file);

4. Restart the PC in normal mode.

By making this setting, the product will not download new builds from our servers. If you change your mind, undo these steps.

Take care.

• Since I can't seem to get support, and since I can't find a match to my situation, I'm going to jump in here. I continually get an Update Alert every morning. When I check the alert, I see 'Reboot required to complete the update' This happens every ###### day. My system (W7-64) shuts down at night after backup. Each morning I cold start between 5:30 and 6:00AM. Generally there are one of two updates, and then I get that ###### reboot alert. How can it be that EVERY day a reboot is required? This is insane, and support is of no help.

They ask me to run the support tool. When I do so, it collects info for about 4 - 5 minutes, then hangs forever at what appears to be 95% complete - it just hangs. Something is very wrong with TS2013.

I uploaded an image of my about screen, but I don't know how to include it here.

s

You can disable forever the product update module in this way:

1. Restart your PC in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in SAFE MODE]

- Restart the computer;

- Press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select "SAFE MODE"

[how to disable Bitdefender product updates]:

1. Locate the file:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2012\update_components.xml

2. Open the file with Notepad and modify the following line:

<Product enabled="1" name="00010004000500010001000600050001" type="0" id="-1">

Basically you will modify the "1" into "0" (only the first "1" from the line).

The line should look like this after the change:

<Product enabled="0" name="00010004000500010001000600050001" type="0" id="-1">

3. Save the file (overwrite the original XML file);

4. Restart the PC in normal mode.

By making this setting, the product will not download new builds from our servers. If you change your mind, undo these steps.

Take care.

post-103080-1346976234_thumb.jpg

A product update was released. Your build should be 16.20.0.1483(please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry157184

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Let me know if the situation is solved.

Have a nice day.

A product update was released. Your build should be 16.20.0.1483(please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry157184

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Let me know if the situation is solved.

Have a nice day.

The Build and the links are of 2013, not for 2012 version.

Did you checked the posted screenshots?

Is from Bitdefender 2013, the About section.

Thank you!