The Good Old Notify System From 2011 Vs 2013

lq44
edited July 2012 in Feature request

Dear Bitdefender Administrator:

Since the ommission of 'notify' in the firewall settings starting with 2012 I have not upgraded my 2011 installation of Total Security. Both 2012 and 2013 require 'paranoid' settings and these do not even store the setting to deny or allow.

I have read somewhere that a person from BD offered a hacked firewall module to run the same as on 2011. Can you please provide me a link where I can grab it.

Also I do hope if 'notify' will not be added in future versions that 2011 becomes a permanent download option for loyal users to download and use. Even with furture keys. I noticed 2012 keys don't work on 2009. So please keep 2011 available as an alternative to folks that want more control in the future and please don't force users to the latest version if it lacks 'notify' in the firewall settings.

Comments

• +1

Bring back the good old Notify Setting for the Firewall!

• As far as I know there is no such hacked Firewall Module. However the issue was that sometimes the Firewall Module was disabled for some reasons and there were two patches to fix this issue, one for un-installing the Firewall and the second one is to re-install the Firewall.

Also read this article.

• As far as I know there is no such hacked Firewall Module. However the issue was that sometimes the Firewall Module was disabled for some reasons and there were two patches to fix this issue, one for un-installing the Firewall and the second one is to re-install the Firewall.

Also read this article.

You may be correct the file I am referring to is called fw_reinstall_2012.xxx where xxx is the compression type that eludes me at the moment. I thought I might have had a gem here adding notify to 2012+ products ;/

Thankyou for clarifying.

• I have read somewhere that a person from BD offered a hacked firewall module to run the same as on 2011. Can you please provide me a link where I can grab it.

dunno if it's what you need, but I think this is what you ask for

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=32259

post 14

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

First of all, welcome to the forums.

That patch posted there is a standalone tool that will reinstall all the drivers and services for the firewall module that is integrated in Bitdefender 2012. It has nothing to do with hacked versions, that is an official patch that can be used to reload the firewall module without repairing the product.

As for the first post from this topic, I will consider this a request and will send it to our product manager for review.

Have a great weekend!

• If you return the firewall advanced settings, it is most appreciated and say thank you, I among them)

• If you return the firewall advanced settings, it is most appreciated and say thank you, I among them)

I also appreciate the firewall advanced settings.

• +1 from me also.

• I do agree. BD2011 firewall was better than 2012/13. Also many options are missing

some I could notice are

1. Deny All of BD2011 missing in 12/13. How to I stop all internet connections for all applications?

2. Parental summary reports missing. The charts of which sites most visited is missing.

3. Advanced options missing in firewalls of 12/13

4. Port settings in front end screens are missing.

5. Update settings eg update every 1 hour is missing.

I feel bd2011 was a better product as there was more control in our hands.

• I do agree. BD2011 firewall was better than 2012/13. Also many options are missing

some I could notice are

1. Deny All of BD2011 missing in 12/13. How to I stop all internet connections for all applications?

2. Parental summary reports missing. The charts of which sites most visited is missing.

3. Advanced options missing in firewalls of 12/13

4. Port settings in front end screens are missing.

5. Update settings eg update every 1 hour is missing.

I feel bd2011 was a better product as there was more control in our hands.

I strongly agree with you.

• +100 votes :)

• +1 As well

I just switched over from avast yesterday due to constant bsod's on windows 8 and was very surprised by how bitdefender's firewall works, there should be advanced settings that allow us to control each and every application or service that accesses the internet. It's good to know if and when any application is accessing the internet, this way we know of potential privacy or security threats - regardless of whether the application is regarded as "non-malicious". I just hope this is the direction that bitdefender is going towards in the future, seeing as I just paid for two years of service. If there's a workaround or "hacked" version for advanced users I also wouldn't mind that. Pretty much, I want to see a lot of prompts at first for EVERYTHING! :)

Thanks,

Jim

• +1 (or more) here too. Though what I'd want (and keep saying whenever I end up here or e-mailing support for a problem) is a return to the firewall notifications from BitDefender 9 (2005-2006 edition), where you were able to specify whether you wanted to create a rule or not (as in just apply the answer to the current connection request), and if you created a rule whether it was a general one for that program or just for when it used that specific protocol, connected to that specific remote host, or used that specific port.

But that poofed as of the next version after that, and now the "Paranoid mode" (which name I find rather insulting... if not necessarily untrue :P) isn't even a replacement for what we were left with from 2006 to 2011, seeing as if you want it to save a rule for a program with parameters you need to create it yourself, because it automatically applies strict settings, can't turn Paranoid on and remove that, so different parameters make it think it's a different program. And there's less tweaking possible even if you do create it yourself.

• Hello :)

First of all, welcome to the forums.

That patch posted there is a standalone tool that will reinstall all the drivers and services for the firewall module that is integrated in Bitdefender 2012. It has nothing to do with hacked versions, that is an official patch that can be used to reload the firewall module without repairing the product.

As for the first post from this topic, I will consider this a request and will send it to our product manager for review.

Have a great weekend!

Hi,

Has there been any progress in regards to keeping 2011 alive?

"please keep 2011 available as an alternative"

Thanks

• I renewed last year my old BDIS 2011 license again and I'm running because of a firewall BDIS 2011 till now. But now I want install Windows 8 on my computer and only BDIS 2013 is compatible with this Windows version. Will I need buy another security product instead of BDIS? I don't want new BDIS firewall without 'notify' setting...

Please, return 'notify' settings into BDIS 2013...

Thanks.

• Hello :)

This will be cloned along with this request for Bitdefender 2014:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=42633

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.