Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Windows 8 Modern Ui/metro Style

BIS 2012 is compatible with windows 8...

but I need Bitdefender run background on windows 8 modern ui/metro style not run on desktop background...

it will be great reduce memory usage...

can you explain, if you make plan bitdefender run on metro windows 8? :rolleyes:

competitors who already have:

- norton (norton studio)

- trend micro (trend micro security center)

Comments

• BIS 2012 is compatible with windows 8...

but I need Bitdefender run background on windows 8 modern ui/metro style not run on desktop background...

it will be great reduce memory usage...

can you explain, if you make plan bitdefender run on metro windows 8? :rolleyes:

competitors who already have:

- norton (norton studio)

- trend micro (trend micro security center)

While I don't work for Bitdefender I do write a lot of code for Windows and now Windows 8. The Windows 8 UI, formerly called Metro, has some restrictions for a Software vendor in order to deploy applications to the new Start Screen.

1) There is a certificate chain that has to be provided or you can just trust Microsoft. I go for the former rather than the latter in that case.

2) You can't "sideload" into the Start Screen/Metro, Microsoft wants you to go through their store for all apps deployed into the new UI and managed that way. A lot of Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) don't like that and while there are a few work-arounds having to sign up with the Microsoft Store means you ascribe to terms and conditions that weren't there in previous versions of Windows. Some of hose T's and C's are to protect end users, which is good, others create a tie-in to Microsoft that a lot of folks don't feel comfortable with. As an ISV, it gives them a lot of power and takes away a lot of my abilities to deliver the best product. Microsoft also doesn't want people to update their software outside of the MSFT Store, so that may create issues for AV vendors when it comes to updates in code etc.

3) There are ways, evolving ways, of sideloading, there's lots of people working on it outside of Microsoft and while they have made it difficult I fear it will become a game of "whack a mole" whereby the community at large will get a technique working and then Microsoft will release an update that breaks it. If you're trying to deliver a product to a customer, especially if they're paying for it, it's not something that's sustainable.

4) Windows 8 in general is a faster O/S, there have been a lot of improvements and they've gotten rid of a lot of bloat in the code. Metro UI apps don't magically save more memory or run faster as compared to a Deskop app. It all comes down to how well the application has been written and how efficient it is at using system resources. So just to be clear just because it's in the Start Screen or Metro, doesn't make it better. Metro does offer new usability features and for some it's not the greatest thing when it comes to things like multiple windows etc. Some ISVs consider WIndows 8 UI restrictions as "dumb" and "too simple", I used to think that way but yes, it's often a lot of a waste of real-estate on the screen to get things done in Windows 8 vs. previous releases.

Windows 8 yes is better in some respects than Windows 7 but and it's not just an upgrade from Windows 7. Not only are there technical challenges for ISVs out there, as I said there's also new Terms and Conditions that MSFT wants you to agree to before you come play in their garden. I said garden because that's what they're trying to create, a walled garden where they call a lot of the shots. Now, if you see them open up a little bit or somebody comes up with a very sustainable way to sideload apps, I think you'll see a lot more ISVs and other companies offering up apps and maybe offering a UI experience that isn't so simple and oriented towards smaller form factors than Laptops and Desktops.

• Hello :)

Our products are certified for Windows 8

http://www.bitdefender.com/news/windows-8-...store-2636.html

and now they are listed in Windows Store.

Soon we will release a major update for the desktop line and it will include some cool stuff for Windows 8.

For now the information is not public, but I will post an announcement when the update will be released.

Thank you for your patience.