Firewall Keeps Showing A Port Scan Block False?

i had this issue with panda IS but bitdefender 2013 now shows it and blocks before it would act like DoS attack because the network wouldnt be able to use internet when connected. im on windows 8 the ip that gets blocked is my router?(192.168.0.1) on udp port but now i get a IP address that pops up alot im not real sure on what to do but atleast its blocking it

Comments

• Hello :)

A product update was released. Your build should be 16.24.0.1682(please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=164968

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Let me know if the situation is solved.

Have a nice day.

• It was already at that version its on auto update but no it didnt help just got one remote ip"75.75.75.75" (comcast) showed up when i opened office outlook 2007

• Hello :)

A product update was released. Your build should be 16.24.0.1682(please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=164968

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Let me know if the situation is solved.

Have a nice day.

Hello, I'm having this same problem. I'm using Bitdefender security for windows 8. I have the current build 16.24.0.1682 - virus signatures: 8037188 - engine version: 7.44116. I have two machines running windows 8 with the same bitdefender on them and they both have this problem. please advise!

Thank you!

-Jack

• Duradel
    edited December 2012

I disabled it doing this:

Firewall -> Advanced -> Block Port Scans (switch off)

Until BitDefender creates a way to block port scans without needing that stupid message popping up every few seconds this will be the only solution. What kind of a response was that to his question Christian lol.

I am running BitDefender Security for Windows 8 as well.

If you have a hardware firewall that's pretty much the best protection available in regards to port scans.

• Is there a way to add an exception for the router which assigns the IP addresses for a network so that there are no more false blocked port scan messages any more?

I disabled the block port scan function in the firewall because these blocked port scan messages were non stop and very irritating. Disabling this function isn't something I want to do realistically as I like the concept behind blocking port scans in case a computer on the same network is compromised.

Can someone PLEASE respond?

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

Could you please let me know if the issue persists with the latest build version 16.27.0.1763 ? (See Christian's post on how to check the current build).

• Im still having this issue (Internet security 2013 - Build 16.27.0.1763)

A port scan was detected and blocked.

Local IP: 192.168.1.5

Remote IP: 192.168.1.1

Protocol: UDP

This happens totally randomly. I've been trying to see if there's a pattern on what I do before this happens, but sometimes it happens when my computer is idle, sometimes when writing on Word 2013, sometimes while surfing the net, while playing etc.. no common cause. Please advice on how to proceed.

• I have the same issue on my Windows 8 Laptop...(Internet security 2013 - Build 16.27.0.1763)

A port scan was detected and blocked.

Local IP: 192.168.1.101

Remote IP: 192.168.1.1

Protocol: UDP

Could we, at least, have confirmation that it's not some kind of virus/intrusion?

• For me, when I did receive those warnings on my notebook, it was always when I was going from a link in a web page to another.

• Any progress? It still does this even with most recent version.

• Any progress? It still does this even with most recent version.

^

• http://www.help2go.com/forum/computer-help...ed-blocked.html

From Digerati

"It is not just Bit Defender users experiencing this.

Note: ESET

Symantec

Sophos

Understand this warning is telling you something is scanning your ports, but has been blocked. That is not saying you have been compromised, or that this is an attack. It could simply be another computer or networked device on your own network trying to join your home or workgroup.

That said, since it could be a nosy neighbor wizkid (if this is a wireless network) or a badguy with malicious intent trying to access your computers, it is wise to be cautious."

==============================================

Just make sure that it's a local network address - 192.168....

===============================================

Some reading about Port Scanning:

Port Scanning is one of the most popular reconnaissance techniques attackers use to discover services they can break into. All machines connected to a Local Area Network (LAN) or Internet run many services that listen at well-known and not so well known ports. A port scan helps the attacker find which ports are available (i.e., what service might be listing to a port). Essentially, a port scan consists of sending a message to each port, one at a time. The kind of response received indicates whether the port is used and can therefore be probed further for weakness.

Read here: http://www.auditmypc.com/port-scanning.asp

• Some extra thoughts from smart people:

"Traffic coming from the Internet would have Internet accessible addresses. The 192.168.x.x isn't accessible from the Internet. It's one of the private address spaces, and ISP's will not route those addresses across the Internet. Details in Internet RFC 1918. So, yes, traffic with a source address of 192.168.1.1 is coming from your router, and is safe to allow it thru the firewall."

• I have BDIS 2013 build 16.28.0.1789 and I just experienced a few "Blocked port scans" - and I didn't have them before, with earlier builds. The problem is that on every blocked port scan my connection drops for a few minutes. Windows 7 is then "diagnosing" the connection, fixes a few things, and in some 6-7 minutes the connection is back. For now I disabled the "Block port scan" but I would like to know what is causing this, and of course, how to sort it out. All my blocked "port scans" were coming from the "remote" IP 192.168.2.1

• I've been getting the same thing for about 4 months. I just passed it off at first, but it is getting annoying at this point. It keeps saying the DNS server (my local router, Comcast's DNS server or Google's DNS server, whichever I choose to set in the router) does a port scan whenever I click a link or open Chrome. That may give you a better hint on what is happening. it's the return on a DNS request that triggers the false port scan report.

• Internet Security 2013, false port scan detected blocked warning message

A few days ago I submitted a trouble ticket outlining the problem and received the response “disable port scan blocking”. Since I have a single PC (no other devices on the subnet) behind a hardware firewall this is a reasonable work around. However, I don’t think this would be an acceptable solution to anyone not protected by a hardware firewall.

I first noticed the status message “port scan detected and blocked” over six months ago and since the source of the address of the of the offending IP traffic was my ISP DNS servers I decided to ignore the message. I recently upgraded my PC to Window 8 Pro, 64 bit and am still seeing the warning message.

A quick review of the bitdefender forums indicate that this problem was first reported in July 2011 and was supposed fixed. However subsequent forum post indicate that the problem persists.

This would trend to indicate that Bitdefender does not know what causes the problem, or does not know how to fix the problem or is not willing to fix the problem.

The warning message usually pops up after I go to the MSN website (IE10). I assume this generates a significant number of DNS request and for some unknown reason triggers the warning message.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Please upgrade for free to The New Bitdefender and let me know if the issue still persists afterwards. You have here all the steps for the upgrade:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=366&id=58

From now on, post in this area of the forum in case you encounter further issues after the upgrade:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=360

Thank you.