Pc Is Booting Very Slow

luuk0909
edited November 2012 in General

Hello,

Yesterday I bought Bitdefender Total Securuty 2013. Therefor everything worked great . I had Microsoft Security Essentials and my pc was booting fast. When I installed Bitdefender my pc is booting very slow! I get an black screen for about 20 seconds and then I need to fill in my Windows password. therefor there was no black screen.

What is the problem?

PC requirements:

Intel Core i7 3610QM

8GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GT 650M

1TB harddrive

Bitdefender version: 16.22.0.1534

I hope somebody can help me because I'm disappointed in Bitdefender.

Comments

• Hi :)

Welcome to the forums.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012

Hi :)

I have received the PM.

In order to be able to properly identify the causes for the reported situation and find a solution we will need to investigate a bit deeper.

Please follow the steps below and send us the result:

a ) Go to this page

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx and download the autoruns file.

b ) Extract the contents of the downloaded file and run the 'autoruns.exe' file;

c ) Wait for the list to be filled with all the processes and then make sure that you have the Everything tab selected in the upper part;

d ) Click on the Disk icon right under File and chose any location folder on your computer;

e ) Save the file with a specific name (your name, computer name, a random name, which one you want) and then send me a PM with it.

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

We will analyze the information you sent and then reply with a possible solution in the shortest time.

Have a nice day.

• Hello,

I did the autoruns test and sent it to you.

• Hello :)

You will receive an answer in a few minutes via PM.

Take care.

Please regenerate a Support Tool log and one from Autoruns so I can compare them.

Take care.

• Hello,

I did the Autoruns test a second time. I sent it by mail.

Thank you for your patience.

A product update was released and it will be installed on your machine in maximum 24 hours. Your build should be 16.24.0.1682 (please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Let me know if everything is OK now.

Have a great day!

• Cavalary
    edited November 2012

Sure hope it will be fixed soon... Rebooted yesterday when I saw an update required a reboot and since then very poor performance, odd HDD access patterns, and last night blue screen. Reboot in safe mode with command prompt to have it run a checkdisk (at least now I can!), then try to boot normally and another blue screen when it should get to desktop. SCSI driver error. Which was darn worrying since for some odd reason Windows sees my current HDD (an old (IDE!) one so far used as backup, as my main one is in the shop after failing under warranty) as SCSI, and under the current circumstances HDD-related blue screens were the last thing I wanted to see! Reboot again, try a regular safe mode, it just reboots on its own yet again, so then try with command prompt again and works. Eventually tried again to start in normal mode and, if very slowly, with computer stuck on a black screen for several seconds and loading the startup programs taking minutes instead of some 15 sec, worked.

Now when I woke up I noticed the same patterns (at least going by the HDD led) had reappeared overnight and it was of course still very very slow, but at least no other blue screens and now as per another topic from here I temporarily disabled on-access scanning and everything suddenly went back to normal. But little point in having an AV if you need to disable it to be able to do anything on your computer...

More testing before releasing updates pls? And before releasing versions actually, quite fed up of needing months after a new version release to stabilize it...

EDIT: I'd sure like to know what time zone this forum uses. GMT + 3.5? That's a weird one... *looks up* Iran's, apparently. Eek!

• Hello Cavalary :)

Please read my answer from here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=165132

Thank you!

• I still not received the update 16.24.0.1682. I am still running 16.23.0.1637.

Have you tried to run a manual update from the main interface?

Thank you!

• Yes I tried the manual update from the main interface but still nothing. Maybe because I live in the EU?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012

Hello :)

Please repair the product, reboot and manually update it from the main interface.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35489

Thank you!

• luuk0909
    edited November 2012

I did the repair but I'm still running 16.23.0.1637. :o

• Still running 16.23.0.1637. What is the dam problem here?!

• Still running 16.23.0.1637. What is the dam problem here?!

Localization Of Your Product?

• Netherlands

• Netherlands

The Update Was Released For US localization.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry157184

• luuk0909
    edited November 2012

So what I understand is that people, living in the EU are less important than people living in the US?

What the hack is wrong here. Everybody who is using Bitdefender and pays for it (like me) needs to receive product updates. It should not matter where that guy lives. We want the product updates too.

This is not fair!

• So what I understand is that people, living in the EU are less important than people living in the US?

What the hack is wrong here. Everybody who is using Bitdefender and pays for it (like me) needs to receive product updates. It should not matter where that guy lives. We want the product updates too.

This is not fair!

use this link:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=38098

your localization(de-de)

P.S.:Don't Know If it Build 16.24.xxxx Or Not.

• dirtyradar
    edited November 2012

Hi. I used to be a great fan of Bitdefender; but my last two runs with the programme were disasterous. For years I've bought it confidently knowing I have a programme which is doing it's job properly ... up until bitdefender internet security 2011.

I was on the internet security 2011 with yet another 1 year subscription that didn't give me the full service, due to the sudden emergence of several problems, much like those I later experience using trial versions of internet security 2012; hoping to convince myself that the fault was my side. After several reinstallations and formattin ... they left me simply ... Jaded.

But I persevered in my belief that the product wasn't at fault.

Let me explain.

After some update using Bitdefender Total security 2013 trial version ... my pc just went sluggish. Not only slow in booting but even when my libraries were being generated in windows 7. Many of my installed programmes were lackluster in their performance and even internet explorer 9 (I think it was); was affected. I'd contacted the reps for Bitdefender in South Africa and they were to forward the results of exhaustive tests to the head offices responsible for analysis. No reply was forthcoming. I've posted a pm here too; with no response.

After a year break and wanting to return to a service I had revered; I downloaded the trial version of bitdefender total security 2013, in the hopes that the niggles had been sorted out. TO NO AVAIL!!!!

I had the same performance problems after an large update of around 100mb which I received in week two of my trial run. Same problem occurred with windows explorer and the building of my libraries in windows 7; and my boot performance was agonizingly long ... accompanied by that long period of black screen the initiator of this post mentioned before.

I uninstalled bitdefender and ran another company's trial version which gave me no problems whatsoever. Is anyone able to explain to me what the current difficulties are with this product. I'm sure that I am not the only one with an issue regarding the products.

fact is: I'm too bloody scared to buy the product at all. Holton in South Africa were very cavalier about the matter. They said, "the trial versions are there for you to test OUR products; and if you don't like them, don't buy them." Now ... If that attitude doesn't ###### in blatant disregard for the hard work Bitdefender puts into the development of their product ... then I'll be a dog's arse for even bothering to bring it to your attention at all.

Does Total Security work or should I rather focus elsewhere for a solution that works?! Or Internet security for that matter?! Do the updates and fixes offered work???????

I can't see buying a product which then ends up doing more harm than good and being told that I'm unable to get refunded. The policy simply cannot be ... we have your money now ... so what!

Thanks for providing a place to vent and find solutions. Perhaps someone will respond if I post here :)

P.S. I'm currently reduced to using Norton 360 which is working a bloody charm and before that I spent a year with Kaspersky internet security 2012 which ... neither of which faltered. Crazy hey!?

• Hi. I used to be a great fan of Bitdefender; but my last two runs with the programme were disasterous. For years I've bought it confidently knowing I have a programme which is doing it's job properly ... up until bitdefender internet security 2011.

I was on the internet security 2011 with yet another 1 year subscription that didn't give me the full service, due to the sudden emergence of several problems, much like those I later experience using trial versions of internet security 2012; hoping to convince myself that the fault was my side. After several reinstallations and formattin ... they left me simply ... Jaded.

But I persevered in my belief that the product wasn't at fault.

Let me explain.

After some update using Bitdefender Total security 2013 trial version ... my pc just went sluggish. Not only slow in booting but even when my libraries were being generated in windows 7. Many of my installed programmes were lackluster in their performance and even internet explorer 9 (I think it was); was affected. I'd contacted the reps for Bitdefender in South Africa and they were to forward the results of exhaustive tests to the head offices responsible for analysis. No reply was forthcoming. I've posted a pm here too; with no response.

After a year break and wanting to return to a service I had revered; I downloaded the trial version of bitdefender total security 2013, in the hopes that the niggles had been sorted out. TO NO AVAIL!!!!

I had the same performance problems after an large update of around 100mb which I received in week two of my trial run. Same problem occurred with windows explorer and the building of my libraries in windows 7; and my boot performance was agonizingly long ... accompanied by that long period of black screen the initiator of this post mentioned before.

I uninstalled bitdefender and ran another company's trial version which gave me no problems whatsoever. Is anyone able to explain to me what the current difficulties are with this product. I'm sure that I am not the only one with an issue regarding the products.

fact is: I'm too bloody scared to buy the product at all. Holton in South Africa were very cavalier about the matter. They said, "the trial versions are there for you to test OUR products; and if you don't like them, don't buy them." Now ... If that attitude doesn't ###### in blatant disregard for the hard work Bitdefender puts into the development of their product ... then I'll be a dog's arse for even bothering to bring it to your attention at all.

Does Total Security work or should I rather focus elsewhere for a solution that works?! Or Internet security for that matter?! Do the updates and fixes offered work???????

I can't see buying a product which then ends up doing more harm than good and being told that I'm unable to get refunded. The policy simply cannot be ... we have your money now ... so what!

Thanks for providing a place to vent and find solutions. Perhaps someone will respond if I post here :)

P.S. I'm currently reduced to using Norton 360 which is working a bloody charm and before that I spent a year with Kaspersky internet security 2012 which ... neither of which faltered. Crazy hey!?

A recent Windows update is the problem I suspect. Bitdefender works on my other machine without recent Windows updates (win 7 64). DLL and Certificate handling were changed by microsoft, but it could be another update. I'll remove updates until I find culprit but need sleep first as I've spent 5 days trying to work out what went wrong with my normally very fast uber desktop. Excluding all files from system drive in Programs, Windows, and User fixed the problem but what's the point of AV if it can't scan the important system files. I'd use another program or otherwise exclude system drive and be very careful (easy if you are technically proficient but hard if you aren't a Security professional or experienced nerd by trade). I almost reinstalled Windows before removing Bitdefender and reinstalling it to reproduce the problem. Very frustrating after replacing every device driver on the system and scanning all libararies,WMI, system files etc..

But first to sleep... sleep.. ..ZZZZZzzzz :)

• Either way; thank you for you quick response. This is the most anyone from bitdefender has done to date concerning my problem. I too will get in touch with Microsoft to ask them if that update could be the culprit causing so much grief.

Thank you. will wait to hear what you find out.

• So what I understand is that people, living in the EU are less important than people living in the US?

This is not fair!

Come on Christian response to this!

We are the one that still stuck on a buggy program. :ph34r:

• I'm still testing removing Windows updates, re-enabling scanning of C:\, rebooting and getting the same problem. I've removed Windows kernel module updates I downloaded on the 15th Nov and still working towards the DLL and Certificate updates. I'm writing down update KB numbers so I can post and the update can easily be identified. My other system seems a little sluggish after the last updates for Bitdefender but as it does not have recent Windows updates it doesn't suffer the boot problem (at least I currently guess this is why).

Many other users of Windows 7 x64 (Professional/ultimate etc) are also complaining of problems regarding the Virus scanner with problems as diverse as not being able to access USB drives. It seems that something is definitely wrong with the scanner as when disabled (exception created for affected drives or files) then things proceed as normal. I'm still thinking perhaps a Windows update is contributing to the boot problem, but if I remove all updates that aren't installed on my second machine and the problem still exists then the fault may lie somewhere else, possible only in the Bitdefender Virus scanner itself under certain conditions.

I'll also try installing some programs/games on another drive and see if the scanner interferes with them launching. I've checked file permissions and they are all fine so the scanner is increasingly looking as a main culprit (of course disabling it fixes the problem so it's rather obvious). I'll continue removing Windows updates as I'm always interested in squarely where a problem lays.

• The problem has gotten worse now with my second machine now slower to respond since latest definitions updates. I was hoping a product update would solve the problem so now the system drive has had to be excluded from scanning to perform at normal speed. For an i7 with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD solely dedicated for the operating system and all other files on a very fast 1TB HDD it's a little ridiculous when my little i3 with half the amount of RAM operates faster, but it has no AV as it is an isolated system with a crummy old HDD running only one application with no LAN or internet connection. My even faster main i7 with 16GB of Corsair RAM, and an ever faster SSD continues to suffer Windows loading (very slow and taskbar munted for some time, explorer not reponding) problems and slow downs with scanning of the SSD enabled and removing Windows updates has so far not solved the problem.

The latest install of Bitdefender 2013 vsserv was built before the problem started (2/11/2012) occurring except for the database files which have subsequently been updated. The definition updates have not fixed the problem, in fact the problems seem worse. I've been building systems for over 20 years and can compile and customise my own drivers, kernels and modules if need be, and though take a particular interest in security, AV lies outside my expertise. I've had a good look at the main system with a number of malware checkers and found nothing and all my systems are isolated from one another with different internet connections. I do not run a home network to prevent infections from one system to another or share removable devices and drives. If I took my tools to the AV I'd probably make the problem worse I fear and breach some reverse engineering rules as well. Though having a poke in there with a stick would be thoroughly interesting, I think I will decline. I look forward to a product update to remedy the problem instead.

I will continue to remove Windows updates and see if the Windows loading problem goes away, but perhaps because one system runs win7 x64 ultimate and one win7 x64 home premium, file differences instead may be why one system runs unresponsively and the other runs unresponsively and also loads Windows slowly except for when both operating systems are added to AV exception list. No abnormal or extra executables and services are running, threads and modules seem in order, registry is OK with no new entries running. Rootkit tools find nothing, I don't have email application operating on my main system and have only been enabling it's internet connection to post on the forum and download Bitdefender updates. Heck I need to play some of the recent games I spent a bunch of dough on and relieve some tension. :wacko:

• Fixed after latest Bitdefender update.

• Is anyone still having issues with the slow Windows startup time (the black screen and delay before the login screen?) I'm on Windows 7 64-bit like the others. I've tried cleaning the registry, playing with autoruns.exe all to no avail.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

• I joined specifically because; I am experiencing this issue with BIS, just installed recently. Been using avast on 4 pc's, 1 desk top,+ 3 laptops, and never had booting nearly this slow, on my win 7 laptop. (It boot_s up relatively fast on my desktop w/ xp...) it's at least a full 25-30 seconds of black screen, before booting. don't know if it's updating or what, but avast always updates after booting, much faster.

• Come on Christian response to this!

We are the one that still stuck on a buggy program. :ph34r:

Hey, Pushkar Gogte did respond with the correct localization link. I'll repost it. It's right here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=38098

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    I joined specifically because; I am experiencing this issue with BIS, just installed recently. Been using avast on 4 pc's, 1 desk top,+ 3 laptops, and never had booting nearly this slow, on my win 7 laptop. (It boot_s up relatively fast on my desktop w/ xp...) it's at least a full 25-30 seconds of black screen, before booting. don't know if it's updating or what, but avast always updates after booting, much faster.

Depends. Do you have any other system booting programs? It could just be a coincidence. I have the same slow boot times, but it isn't because of Bitdefender. I have Alcohol 120% installed and set to load the Virtual Drives at system boot. This causes the 25 second delay for me. After unchecking the option to mount Virtual Drives at system boot, I found out my computer doesn't get the black screen of delay even with Bitdefender Internet Security installed with all features turned on and set to run at system boot. So it could just be a coincidence.

• Depends. Do you have any other system booting programs? It could just be a coincidence. I have the same slow boot times, but it isn't because of Bitdefender. I have Alcohol 120% installed and set to load the Virtual Drives at system boot. This causes the 25 second delay for me. After unchecking the option to mount Virtual Drives at system boot, I found out my computer doesn't get the black screen of delay even with Bitdefender Internet Security installed with all features turned on and set to run at system boot. So it could just be a coincidence.

Sure I have other programs loading, at boot up. But as I stated in my previous post, (my config is still exactly the same, program-wise, and other), this slow boot up never happens with avast, which I've used for years, and it also never happened when I recently beta tested ESET, for 6 months, just bitdefender.

• Sure I have other programs loading, at boot up. But as I stated in my previous post, (my config is still exactly the same, program-wise, and other), this slow boot up never happens with avast, which I've used for years, and it also never happened when I recently beta tested ESET, for 6 months, just bitdefender.

Like you, I get a black screen at boot but only for 10-15 seconds, again like you I never had it with my previous AV (Avast) and have not changed my start up programs. So yes I put it down to Bitdefender but as I normally switch my pc on then go do other things whilst it is is loading it is not a problem to me. :)

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Sure I have other programs loading, at boot up. But as I stated in my previous post, (my config is still exactly the same, program-wise, and other), this slow boot up never happens with avast, which I've used for years, and it also never happened when I recently beta tested ESET, for 6 months, just bitdefender.

Well, it may just be Bitdefender trying to start securely. In other words, Bitdefender is trying to beat all your other programs and drivers in a race to start first. This could also be what is causing the delay that is specific to Bitdefender. See, other antivirus programs might just wait out the boot order thus allowing your computer to boot faster. A Secure Start is a better option if, say, you have a virus infection on your computer. Another antivirus vender whose product has a Secure Start option is Avira. Thought unlike Bitdefender, you can actually select whether to turn Secure Start off.

• Odd thing is, I have bitdefender IS on my HP desktop too, 32 bit / xp, 2 GB ram, and it is in every way comparable to avast in terms of speed, booting, scanning, and functionality...

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014

That depends on what you mean. Do you want to change Bitdefender's boot order? Or does Bitdefender run a scan whenever you boot your computer?

• I had been a Norton user for about 7 years but wanted to try another software out there, particularly since Norton seemed to slow down my PC. So I read all the reviews by PC Mag and AV Test and Bitdefender was highly recommended. So I promptly ordered the 2015 Total Security package. I installed it from the CD and once installed noticed that the update was stuck at 1%. Rebooted and tried the update again and stuck again at 1%. Did searches on the web and seemed like there were some complaints from other Windows 7 64 bit users.

However Upon rebooting I noticed another more troubling issue: There was a long delay after the "Starting windows" message and the Windows Login appears. This was not like this before the install of Bitdefender and particularly since i have a new SSD. So I did the uninstall of Bitdefender and once again PC reboots to the desktop in 10 seconds as before. So clearly there was an issue with Bitdefender.

I'm extremely disappointed since I really wanted to like this product and based on the glowing reviews it seemed to be exactly what I wanted, but the reality was horrible. I felt I didn't want to spend the time and effort for contacting support since comments on Amazon and other forums seemed to indicate that Bitdefender Support was practically non responsive and non existent, so I really wasn't in the mood to waste time.

So now I have a package sitting on my desk and am in the market for another package. In all reality I'll just go back to Norton after being shaken by this experience.

• I had been a Norton user for about 7 years but wanted to try another software out there, particularly since Norton seemed to slow down my PC. So I read all the reviews by PC Mag and AV Test and Bitdefender was highly recommended. So I promptly ordered the 2015 Total Security package. I installed it from the CD and once installed noticed that the update was stuck at 1%. Rebooted and tried the update again and stuck again at 1%. Did searches on the web and seemed like there were some complaints from other Windows 7 64 bit users.

However Upon rebooting I noticed another more troubling issue: There was a long delay after the "Starting windows" message and the Windows Login appears. This was not like this before the install of Bitdefender and particularly since i have a new SSD. So I did the uninstall of Bitdefender and once again PC reboots to the desktop in 10 seconds as before. So clearly there was an issue with Bitdefender.

I'm extremely disappointed since I really wanted to like this product and based on the glowing reviews it seemed to be exactly what I wanted, but the reality was horrible. I felt I didn't want to spend the time and effort for contacting support since comments on Amazon and other forums seemed to indicate that Bitdefender Support was practically non responsive and non existent, so I really wasn't in the mood to waste time.

So now I have a package sitting on my desk and am in the market for another package. In all reality I'll just go back to Norton after being shaken by this experience.

It isn't a problem with the software, it's a problem with impatience. Quoting you, " I installed it from the CD and once installed noticed that the update was stuck at 1%". How long did you wait? The update servers are a little slow, so you needed to give it some time. Especially if it was a large update. I've been using Bitdefender for 4 year now, and I haven't had a single problem with it.

• Hello stevechang,

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with BD Total Security. It sounds like your CD is a little out of date so if you want to give it another try firstly ensure you have no other security programs on your computer, (anti-malware, anti-spyware or anti-adware) and install your version from the internet, they are all listed here -

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=54672

Wait for it to download, it can be a little slow but it will get there. You can use the license key you have with your CD to validate the install. Once installed you can run a manual update from the GUI. The latest version is 18.19.0.1369, you don't get a %update, just that it is downloading.

The slow boot has been a problem with Windows 7 but you can now solve that by going to GUI>Protection>Antivirus>Shield Tab>click the custom box>Miscellaneous tab and untick the "Early Boot Scan". You will still be fully protected.

If you want further help please post back. :)

Ro.

This discussion has been closed.