New Bd 2013 Installation

I have installed and registered BD Internet Security 2013 on an XP platform. Having had this PC for some time before opting for BD as an alternative AV product, the boot up gives a different appearance. All the desk top icons are shown as the generic blank file image and slowly, one by one they convert to their own individual icon as the boot up progresses.

Is this the normal behaviour with BD installed or could there be a coincidence created by some other change?

Comments

• Hi :)

Welcome to the forums.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day.

• <snip>

Have to wonder why do you support people (assuming this is the generic account) keep asking people to send reports for the same problem all day. After yesterday's update to the new build, you're lucky if you can boot at all without disabling on-access scan (and you need to boot to disable it after a crash, which is a problem), period. Somebody messed up big time, again. Hoping heads will roll for it, but before then hoping for a patch to fix the patch, as it were, quickly (saw a post this morning saying 24 hours max, let's hope it's true). Don't keep putting people through hoops for your failure to test, because it's not a localized problem on very specific systems, but as you can see on the forums it happens on basically any supported version of Windows, with any type of hard drive and, I'm sure, a slew of different drivers and installed software.

It's not quite as bad as the time when you ruined pretty much every computer running 64-bit Windows (lucky I wasn't!), but it's huge either way. And let's not forget the time when BD would randomly decide on boot to block any applications that requested administrative privileges and you had to keep rebooting till it decided to allow them; you kept pestering me then that I had something incompatible installed or was doing who knows what till you finally got around to fixing the BD bug that was there all along something like 2 months later. (Or the time when you automatically deleted files from OpenOffice installs.)

Now I'm a long-time BD user (since 2004) and, as this should prove, usually very patient, but when I see things like these I do want to see swift action taken, and accepting the blame and apologizing to users instead of throwing the same bot/stock-reply to all would do a lot of good too. Like that BD is a leader in security, largely why I use it, but would you kindly at some point decide to work on improving STABILITY and USER CONTROL as well? (I also keep pestering you about this whenever such a problem pops up and I end up writing support: Still want to see a return to the level of user control from BitDefender 9 (the 2005-2006 version, I mean), of course updated to give similar options for all modules and features added since. But you keep reducing user control with every version.)

Personally, now that I got that replacement HDD and will be installing Windows again on it, I'll be going back to BD2011 and staying there, while I still have almost a year's worth of license left. At least that's stable (at the moment) and provides more control than newer versions, if still less than I'd like.

/rant Probably won't even be read.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012

Hello :)

@ Cavalary

Thank you for your feedback.

We ask for log because we need to see if the product is properly installed, if the drivers and services are running, etc.

Each customer has a different system and the cause can be an incompatible software(usually another security solution) and in some cases, malware.

Without the logs, I will have to guess what the actual issue is and a generic solution is not recommended in most of the cases.

Bitdefender team thanks you for your patience and for the cooperation.

• Christian

I have sent you a PM

• Hello :)

Please try to upload that file on Send[pace.com and leave the email field blank.

You don't need to complete that element on that page.

Thank you!

• Christian

I have uploaded the file with Sendspace and believe I have sent it, although there is no feedback and indication of where it is going after clicking send. I hope it reaches you.

Regards

• Hello :)

Please post here the download link.

I have not receive it via PM.

Thank you!

• Hello Christian

I have tried again and uploaded the file and sent you the link. I hope you have now received the information.

Regards

• Hello Christian

Do you have any suggestions yet on how to overcome this issue?

Regards

• Hello Christian

Not sure if you missed my previous request but I am still living with the issue.

• Christian

I have tried several times to get a response having completed your request but without success.

I am not sure if my prompts have been missed or ignored as there are quite a number of threads where other enquirers are not happy with the lack of response. Of course it may be that my issue falls into the same area as those reporting a 'slow start up' and have been told to upgrade to version .1682 and is thought not to warrant a reply.

My version is .1682 so this is probably not the reason. However, it would be good to get some form of contact again.

• I have installed and registered BD Internet Security 2013 on an XP platform. Having had this PC for some time before opting for BD as an alternative AV product, the boot up gives a different appearance. All the desk top icons are shown as the generic blank file image and slowly, one by one they convert to their own individual icon as the boot up progresses.

Is this the normal behaviour with BD installed or could there be a coincidence created by some other change?

Clarity3:

There are many different topic titles in both the General and Antivirus Forums that are addressing basically the same issue. I rebuilt all the software on my PC, and discovered the problem was with BitDefender. I had my Antivirus On-Access level set to "Aggressive". After setting that level back to "Normal" and restarting my PC, the problem went away. If your Antivirus On-Access level is set to "Aggressive", change it to "Normal" and then restart your PC. I hope this helps.

• @Laurel Valley

Thank you for your interest.

My On-Access level is set at Normal and has not changed. I have BD installed on two computers, one with XP and now one with Windows 7. Both have the same settings and as far as I can tell these are the default settings (ie Normal in all relevant cases). Both PC's behave in the same way during boot up, which makes me think the common denominator is BitDefender.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello Clarity3,

Could you please tell me if this issue persists with the new build version 16.28.0.1763?

(right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35498

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Thank you.