Windows 8 Security

Asparanoix
edited November 2012 in General

Bitdefender released Windows 8 Security with ELAM, Modern UI App and some extra features. What about Bitdefender Internet Security users? Can we expect upgrade giving the same features? Can we upgrade to Win8 Security? I see that new product is more expensive than Internet Security.

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/windows-8-security.html

Comments

• Bitdefender released Windows 8 Security with ELAM, Modern UI App and some extra features. What about Bitdefender Internet Security users? Can we expect upgrade giving the same features? Can we upgrade to Win8 Security? I see that new product is more expensive than Internet Security.

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/windows-8-security.html

Having upgraded 2 of my machines to Win 8, I also have the same question.

Christian talked about this earlier here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=39385

Will there be an upgrade path to current license holders?

• Asparanoix
    edited November 2012

The biggest competitors of Bitdefender are giving ELAM features and Modern UI app for free :wub: (as a a part of main product of course).

Soon I will buy license for another year of AV product. I am considering Bitdefender or one of the competitors. I think this case will give me the answer for everything.

• Having purchased two years of BitDefender Total Security 2013 last week, I would like to be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Security for free. Can Christian / someone from BD please clarify this?

As other people have mentioned, most other suites offer this feature for no extra cost, and I am still in the no-questions-asked return period :)

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012

Hello everyone :)

I have posted here an announcement with all the details:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=312&id=54

Bitdefender Windows 8 Security is a new product that uses all the new technologies from Windows 8.

You will have to uninstall the current version of the classic line and install the new product.

The uninstall tool can be found over here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...nstall_Tool.exe

The installation kit for Bitdefender Windows 8 Security can be downloaded from here:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/in..._w8security.exe

The offline kits can be found over here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35494

The product will be listed soon in Windows Store.

@ Devdutt

In your case, the situation is a little bit different, we will have to change your license key. Since Total Security has Safebox and other modules included, are you sure that you want the new product?

If so, please send me a PM with the email address that you used to register the My Bitdefender account and you current license key so I can check them in the system.

DO NOT POST THEM ON THE FORUMS!

Let me know if you have other questions.

Have a lovely day!

• Just upgraded my 2 Win 8 machines to Bitdefender Windows 8 Security, very nice!

Congratulations Bitdefender on a well thought out Windows 8 product! :)

• columbo
    columbo
    edited November 2012

As with DAF44, nice job Bitdefender :)

Thank you Christian, for posting the above links and information so promptly, nice job B)

The install went smoothly, maybe even a bit faster the the Windows 7 versions. No problem with the registration, and nice looking layout and design. Again, well done :)

Two things off of first impressions. (I will post a thread as needed, after I've used it for awhile):

Am I missing the Gadget settings somewhere?

I would like to see the update file size on the Update download progress bar.

For those who may be hesitant to upgrade to Windows 8 for the reasons of missing the Start menu with its features, and for desiring a reliable Windows 8 AV solution, these 2 are now covered by Bitdefender, and the ability to add on a Start menu button with the options of buying Start8, or the free, Classic Shell, option. My image below is shown using Start8.

Start8small.jpg

• the windows 8 version looks really nice,good job

• Swampster
    edited November 2012
    Hello everyone :)

I have posted here an announcement with all the details:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=312&id=54

Bitdefender Windows 8 Security is a new product that uses all the new technologies from Windows 8.

You will have to uninstall the current version of the classic line and install the new product.

The uninstall tool can be found over here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...nstall_Tool.exe

The installation kit for Bitdefender Windows 8 Security can be downloaded from here:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/in..._w8security.exe

The offline kits can be found over here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35494

The product will be listed soon in Windows Store.

@ Devdutt

In your case, the situation is a little bit different, we will have to change your license key. Since Total Security has Safebox and other modules included, are you sure that you want the new product?

If so, please send me a PM with the email address that you used to register the My Bitdefender account and you current license key so I can check them in the system.

DO NOT POST THEM ON THE FORUMS!

Let me know if you have other questions.

Have a lovely day!

Is Bitdefender Total Security 2013 going to be updated to incorporate or take advantage of these new features? As Windows 8 Security appears to be a lesser product for a newer O/S? If we did want to 'upgrade' to Windows 8 Security, what exactly do we lose from Total Security 2013?

• Is Bitdefender Total Security 2013 going to be updated to incorporate or take advantage of these new features? As Windows 8 Security appears to be a lesser product for a newer O/S? If we did want to 'upgrade' to Windows 8 Security, what exactly do we lose from Total Security 2013?

That's an excellent question. I think I'm going to wait since I just upgraded to 2013 TS less than two months ago.

• As with DAF44, nice job Bitdefender :)

Thank you Christian, for posting the above links and information so promptly, nice job B)

The install went smoothly, maybe even a bit faster the the Windows 7 versions. No problem with the registration, and nice looking layout and design. Again, well done :)

Two things off of first impressions. (I will post a thread as needed, after I've used it for awhile):

Am I missing the Gadget settings somewhere?

I would like to see the update file size on the Update download progress bar.

For those who may be hesitant to upgrade to Windows 8 for the reasons of missing the Start menu with its features, and for desiring a reliable Windows 8 AV solution, these 2 are now covered by Bitdefender, and the ability to add on a Start menu button with the options of buying Start8, or the free, Classic Shell, option. My image below is shown using Start8.

I prefer the open source Classic Shell. My last count shows at least 8 different Start Button tools for Windows 8. If anything it's added a new market for Start Menu replacements in the market. ;-)

• Hi Will :) I opted for the easy route for now (using the trial version) and may check out Classic Shell, which as you mentioned, has greater user control and flexibility, than the per-configured Stardock version.

• @Christian

I bought BitDefender Total Security 2013 last week and I want upgrade to Windows 8 Security.

The same case of Devdutt.

I sent to you a PM.

And please tell me about the VirtualBox problem (vt-x/AMD64)

• Having problems here. I installed Bitdefender 2012 Total Security about a month ago, and then got the free update to 2013. Today I installed Windows 8, and now problems. I could not get Windows 8 to accept Bitdefender. I then found this post, and followed the instructions in post #5, I think, about having to uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender for Windows 8. Well not much luck there. after the install, it asked me for the registration key, but when I entered the key, I was told that key was for another product. Not having much of a choice at that time, I chose the 30 trial version. Need help, Please. Mike

• Swampster
    edited November 2012
    Having problems here. I installed Bitdefender 2012 Total Security about a month ago, and then got the free update to 2013. Today I installed Windows 8, and now problems. I could not get Windows 8 to accept Bitdefender. I then found this post, and followed the instructions in post #5, I think, about having to uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender for Windows 8. Well not much luck there. after the install, it asked me for the registration key, but when I entered the key, I was told that key was for another product. Not having much of a choice at that time, I chose the 30 trial version. Need help, Please. Mike

No ideally you should uninstall Bitdefender Total Security 2013 prior to upgrading to Windows 8.

If you didn't do that, then you should do a complete uninstall of Total Security from within Windows 8, reboot then re-install the same version.. eg, Bitdefender Total Security 2013, using..and everything should work fine. To get Bitdefender Windows 8 Security to work with your current licence you need to PM Christian with the details he requested, however bear in mind Bitdefender Windows 8 Security is a lower level product than Total Security, and you will lose some of the features.

• Having problems here. I installed Bitdefender 2012 Total Security about a month ago, and then got the free update to 2013. Today I installed Windows 8, and now problems. I could not get Windows 8 to accept Bitdefender. I then found this post, and followed the instructions in post #5, I think, about having to uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender for Windows 8. Well not much luck there. after the install, it asked me for the registration key, but when I entered the key, I was told that key was for another product. Not having much of a choice at that time, I chose the 30 trial version. Need help, Please. Mike

Hello Mike.

Swampster is right !

At this moment only with a license key for Internet Security you can successfully register Windows 8 Security.

As I can see, you are using license for Total Security and that is the reason of your problems with installation.

Christian can send you a proper license key for registration, but in that case you would have lost the following modules: Safebox, Anti-Theft, File Encryption and Tune-up.(difference between Total and Internet Security 2013 and probably Windows 8 Security).

This offer is perfect for all users of Windows 8 and Bitdefender IS 2013 as they do not lose anything, but you can, as well all other users of Total Security.

Quality of protection in all Bitdefender products are exactly the same because they all use the same antivirus signatures, so as to not have to worry.

Period of one year is too long, maybe you will want to use some of the above modules in the future?

Think well and bring the right decision !

Regards.

• In my Windows 8 security centrum it does not recognize Bitdefender Windows 8 security how is this possible?

• That's an excellent question.

That it might be... though it's not been answered yet :rolleyes:

• Swampster and alexx69, I agree with you both, that I would be better off just keeping 2013 Total Security. Thanks for the replies. Mike

• Hello :)

Regarding the issue with Action Center, please check this post:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=165484

Thank you!

• What does it mean?

sMcfp.png

• Hello :)

Windows 8 Security can be installed only on Windows 8.

If you did run the setup on other operating system than Windows 8, you will receive that prompt.

Thank you!

• reading through this thread I came to believe that if I have a bit defender internet security license I could install window 8 security with the same license.i have done that and have problems with the computers I have using windows 8 security showing up on my bitdefender account.i contacted support and they told me:

kindly inform you that your license key ******* is for Bitdefender Internet

Security. Unfortunately, you cannot use it for Bitdefender Windows 8. Please

uninstall this product and after that, follow the next link in order to

download the full kit for Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 which is

compatible with Windows:

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi Bri,

It was a mistake on our part. Rest assured you can use a Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 key to activate Bitdefender Windows 8 Security.

Please post back if you need further assistance.

• No ideally you should uninstall Bitdefender Total Security 2013 prior to upgrading to Windows 8.

If you didn't do that, then you should do a complete uninstall of Total Security from within Windows 8, reboot then re-install the same version.. eg, Bitdefender Total Security 2013, using..and everything should work fine. To get Bitdefender Windows 8 Security to work with your current licence you need to PM Christian with the details he requested, however bear in mind Bitdefender Windows 8 Security is a lower level product than Total Security, and you will lose some of the features.

I would like this clarified as to exactly what features you lose with BD W8 Security.

1. USB Immunizer is available as a free download. Besides how often does one have to immunize a USB drive?

2. Anti-Theft protection which I guess costs extra under BD W8 Security is not necessary if you are using a desktop.

If you are using a desktop computer the only feature I can see that is available in BD TS 2013 that is not available in BD W8 Security or available as a seperate BD free app is Tune-Up. Granted there could be an advantage to using BD Tune-Up with a BD AV product. However, there are a number of VG free tune-up products out there that run on W8 in addition to the W8 maintenance program which does a pretty good job of basic maintenance.

Are there any BD TS 2013 features other than those listed above that are not part of BD W8 Security? Thanks