[escalated to Testing team] Bitdefender And Sims 3

Ok, here's the issue

Sims 3 will not run with BD 2013 AVP installed. Uninstall it (using uninstall tool), it works with no problem. Reinstall BD it stops working again. Have set exclusions for every pertinent file I can think of, excluded the entire program folder to no avail. Excluded any processes I can think of or see, set files to run as admin, tried files in compatibility modes.

ECS G31T-M mobo

Core2Quad q6600 @ 2.4

4 gb ram

2 x 500 gb Seagate HDD

Nvidia GT640

Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

Problem never occurred in Win 7 64 bit. First time trying on Win 8.

Comments

• Ok, here's the issue

Sims 3 will not run with BD 2013 AVP installed. Uninstall it (using uninstall tool), it works with no problem. Reinstall BD it stops working again. Have set exclusions for every pertinent file I can think of, excluded the entire program folder to no avail. Excluded any processes I can think of or see, set files to run as admin, tried files in compatibility modes.

ECS G31T-M mobo

Core2Quad q6600 @ 2.4

4 gb ram

2 x 500 gb Seagate HDD

Nvidia GT640

Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

Problem never occurred in Win 7 64 bit. First time trying on Win 8.

Okay, when you're running the game do you turn on game mode? Game mode temporarily disables some of the AV features. Also, I'm not sure but does the SIMs require network access as well while playing? Right Click on the B icon to enable/disable it. This is what mode I'm in when I'm on a game hosted by Valve (Steam).

Again with everything "on" and no exclusions in BD, turn game mode on and try it. If the SIMs still don't work, go into settings and disable on access and active virus control. (Bitdefender Stetings Panel, settings cog on Antivirus) at that point you have disabled the AV scanning and BD should glow nice and Red pointing to a problem. Try the game again.

If the SIMS still does not work, it's not the AV portion and it would be the firewall but before that, why not give the things I indicated here a try. It has worked for me in the past without a complete BD removal.

Give it a try and post back, I'll check in later.

• Okay, when you're running the game do you turn on game mode? Game mode temporarily disables some of the AV features. Also, I'm not sure but does the SIMs require network access as well while playing? Right Click on the B icon to enable/disable it. This is what mode I'm in when I'm on a game hosted by Valve (Steam).

Again with everything "on" and no exclusions in BD, turn game mode on and try it. If the SIMs still don't work, go into settings and disable on access and active virus control. (Bitdefender Stetings Panel, settings cog on Antivirus) at that point you have disabled the AV scanning and BD should glow nice and Red pointing to a problem. Try the game again.

If the SIMS still does not work, it's not the AV portion and it would be the firewall but before that, why not give the things I indicated here a try. It has worked for me in the past without a complete BD removal.

Give it a try and post back, I'll check in later.

Were you able to try what I suggested?

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello tclarson720,

Please let me know if The Sims 3 runs fine with the latest build version 16.28.0.1789 (right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35498

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Thank you.

• Hello tclarson720,

Please let me know if The Sims 3 runs fine with the latest build version 16.28.0.1789 (right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35498

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Thank you.

Hello.

I am on Version 17.15.0.682 and Sims 3 does not work. I've done everything mentioned above.

I had a trial of Bitdefender W8 ed. and had problems With quite a few games. When i was unable to fix the issues i uninstalled Bitdefender and used bullguard instead. I had no problems With any of my software. I went back to try Bitdefender 2014 (because bitdefender makes me feel safe and good about the World), but I'm getting the same issues as before.

Is there anything i can do? Adding the .exe's to the firewall doesn't work either.

• Hello.

I am on Version 17.15.0.682 and Sims 3 does not work. I've done everything mentioned above.

I had a trial of Bitdefender W8 ed. and had problems With quite a few games. When i was unable to fix the issues i uninstalled Bitdefender and used bullguard instead. I had no problems With any of my software. I went back to try Bitdefender 2014 (because bitdefender makes me feel safe and good about the World), but I'm getting the same issues as before.

Is there anything i can do? Adding the .exe's to the firewall doesn't work either.

First of all. I'm from Germany so sorry for my Englisch :rolleyes:

I've found out what the Problem is and i will tell you the solution to solve this problem.

The Problem is the "Active Control" which you will find under the "Antivirus Settings". You have to shut this function off (it will not work if you just set the setting lower).

The Gamemode will not help you either so you don't have to activate it if you want to play.

Enjoy playing :rolleyes:

• Hello Overmann and MParker,

Thank you for providing your feedback.

We will need additional Active Virus Control logs from that PC to forward them to our testing team.

For this, please go to Events from on the Bitdefender interface > Antivirus panel > Active Virus Control tab > check in the list of events if The Sims executable was blocked.

If it was, please submit a sample (password protected archive) of that .exe . You can upload the sample on Sendspace and post the download link.

Thank you, looking forward to your reply.

• Hello Overmann and MParker,

Thank you for providing your feedback.

We will need additional Active Virus Control logs from that PC to forward them to our testing team.

For this, please go to Events from on the Bitdefender interface > Antivirus panel > Active Virus Control tab > check in the list of events if The Sims executable was blocked.

If it was, please submit a sample (password protected archive) of that .exe . You can upload the sample on Sendspace and post the download link.

Thank you, looking forward to your reply.

Hi,

Disabling active virus Control Works, but excluding the folder from Active virus Control when AVC is active does nothing. Very strange! In the events tab i get no Message that the program was blocked, but i do get an error message from Windows when trying to run the program.

• It looks like it may be one of the updates or expansion packs causing this. What worked for me was going to the active virus control exclusions, selecting exclude processes, and allowing this file:

c:\program files (x86)\origin games\the sims 3\game\bin\packs\ts3ep03\ts3ep03.exe

Obviously, omit the (x86) if you are on a 32 bit system, or use another directory if you installed it somewhere else. If this doesn't work for you, you can find out which file is causing it to crash and exclude it instead by going to C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive (you will have to allow viewing of hidden files to see this directory), it will show your recent app crashes and let you know which file is causing the problem.