Experience From Avast

I'm a long time Avast user, but lately its just become slower and unstable so I'm looking for a alternative. Everyone suggested Bitdefender, so here I am. Signed up for the Bitdefender Total Security 2013 30 day trial.

First thing that struck me, NO sandbox. Avast has had this for year and makes testing dodgy exe files into a second ordeal. Also very nifty for brower protection

Second I had a look at the firewall, I can see what's coming and going out in a lot of detail, but no simple option like sorting the columns? It's a minor thing, but still annoying

Third the anti theft, love the idea. but it's reporting me as being somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean... so not very accurate then. No way to just see the last active IP address on there?

But afraid the mayor lack of a sandbox will mean I'm going to look for a alternative anti virus solution anyway

Comments

• I'm a long time Avast user, but lately its just become slower and unstable so I'm looking for a alternative. Everyone suggested Bitdefender, so here I am. Signed up for the Bitdefender Total Security 2013 30 day trial.

First thing that struck me, NO sandbox. Avast has had this for year and makes testing dodgy exe files into a second ordeal. Also very nifty for brower protection

Second I had a look at the firewall, I can see what's coming and going out in a lot of detail, but no simple option like sorting the columns? It's a minor thing, but still annoying

Third the anti theft, love the idea. but it's reporting me as being somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean... so not very accurate then. No way to just see the last active IP address on there?

But afraid the mayor lack of a sandbox will mean I'm going to look for a alternative anti virus solution anyway

I used avast! AIS for a couple of years up until a couple of months ago at which time I switched to BD W8 Security.

My experience was

1. The avast@ sandbox was junk. It caused more headaches than it solved.

2. I can't comment on whether BD Safego is better than avast! SafePay? since I didn't use the latter and don't use the former.

• I'm a long time Avast user, but lately its just become slower and unstable so I'm looking for a alternative. Everyone suggested Bitdefender, so here I am. Signed up for the Bitdefender Total Security 2013 30 day trial.

Yes, it would be nice if the application rules allowed you to sort by name or location like avast did. My list of rules doesn't have a scroll bar and the last item is only 1/4 visible. Could be due to the fact I have different dpi setting due to being on a 47" flatscreen as a monitor - but I don't have problems with any other applications. I made a post about the display bugs and never got a response from the staff. I've seen a lot of posts regarding where the firewall rules lack - come on bitdefender get with the program! I'll be renewing my subscription if ya do!

• For me, I think Sandbox is overated (don't rant on me please). I mean it should either be that you trust the program or not. No need to run it on a testing environment. smile2.png