[escalated] Windows Action Center Messages

2»

Comments

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2013
    --------------------------------

Can't agree with you more, go Ravens :D Enjoy the game, hope it's a good one.

It was, and I did............... :rolleyes:

lol :) or as in this case, as "Dandy" Don Meredith used to sing on Monday Night football, "turn out the light's, the party's over"...and it was, right up until the lights did go out :o

• Why doesnt the Bitdefender poster refer on their own help files? Look here: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/What-to...d-off-1091.html

All you have to do to fix this is:

cmd.exe as admin

winmgmt /verifyrepository

winmgmt /resetrepository

reboot

• Hello!

I have install bitdefender windows 8 security on my computer (OS: windows 8 pro x64). Before installation i turned off windows defender and windows firewall.

After installation action center shows rwd flags and says that both of antivirus programs are turned off (bitdefender and windows defender), firewall as well.

I tried to turn on bitdefender but nothing happens. I tried repair bitdefender but nothing happens.

Please help!!

This also happens when i install bitdefender 2013 on same computer.

Thank you!

• Hi all,

In order to manage this situation please follow the instructions available in this KB article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-to...d-off-1091.html

If the issue persists afterwards, please contact our support team via http://www.bitdefender.com/en/Main/contactEmail

We need to make sure that all the Bitdefender processes, drivers and services are running properly on your PCs before deciding that this is just an integration issue between Windows Action Center and Bitdefender.

Thank you! :)

• Hi all,

In order to manage this situation please follow the instructions available in this KB article:

If the issue persists afterwards, please contact our support team via http://www.bitdefender.com/en/Main/contactEmail

We need to make sure that all the Bitdefender processes, drivers and services are running properly on your PCs before deciding that this is just an integration issue between Windows Action Center and Bitdefender.

Not disagreeing with any of the steps menetioned in the BD Support article. However, even before reading the article one needs to ask oneself. Has this computer had any other anti-virus programs running on it at anytime? WD 8 dpes not count.

Many AV problems come about due to an incomplete or improper removal of a previous AV product. I am not saying that an improper or incomplete removval of a previous AV product will result in this problem. I don't know that. What I do know is that for an AV product to operate properly all previous AV products that have been on the same computer must be removed properly and completely. Using the Windows app removal feature often does not sufficwe. Using a generic uninstaller does not always work.

All previous AV products should only be removed using the uninstaller provided by the vendor of the previous AV product. If someone does use the Windows or q generic app uninstlaler to remove an AV product from their computer they should then use the vendor's AV uninstaller software to remove anything left over by the Windows or generic app uninstaller. Properly removing any previous AV product from a computer will eliminate a number of problems with the newly installed AV product

I would think this information has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum however to my thinking it is so critical in helping to insure the proper running of a newly installed AV product that it is worthwhile posting more than once especially since it could and I am only saying could be the cause of the problem being discussed in this thread.

AV remnants left behind from a pervious AV product can be harmful to the proper functioning of the current AV product and computer.

• I'm using Bitdefender Antivirus 2013 kept fully updated on a desktop system that is always on (rebooted twice per day) and always connected to the web via direct ethernet / cable modem, and I frequently encounter this warning from the Action Center in Windows 7:

"Bitdefender Antivirus reports that it is turn off"

I'm not running any other security suite that would interfere with BD in any way, and I always check to make sure that BD is performing updates successfully.

I've attached a screenshot of the issue.

Before I resort to submitting a ticket I'd like to see if this is a known issue here on the forums and if BD staff are responding to other reports of this. I did a couple quick searches of the forum but perhaps I'm not using the proper key words to turn up results.

Desktop System Specs:

Windows 7 64 bit (kept fully updated / well maintained)

Intel Core i5 3.2GHz

8GB RAM

500GB SATA HD, 7200RPM, plenty of free space

post-113821-1364289023_thumb.jpg

Using Bitdefender Total Security. Paying BD customer since 2012

• I see that 4 months ago on November 17 2012 BD support agent Christian acknowledged that they were aware of this and working on a fix. See http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=165484

I also see that this bug was supposedly fixed on January 29 2013 in version update Version: 16.26.0.1739. See http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=173872 (screenshot attached)

However, the problem persists.

post-113821-1364289901_thumb.jpg

• After finding support user Georgia's post at http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=176833 I'm now following the steps at http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-to...d-off-1091.html and will update this thread with the results later. (But wouldn't this seem to indicate that the bug "fix" released on January 29 didn't really fix the bug?)

• After finding support user Georgia's post at http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=176833 I'm now following the steps at http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-to...d-off-1091.html and will update this thread with the results later. (But wouldn't this seem to indicate that the bug "fix" released on January 29 didn't really fix the bug?)

Followed the steps, problem still persists.

• Hi all,

I run BD AV Plsu 2013 and am still encountering this issue of Windows Action Center reporting that BD is turned off on a very well maintained desktop system.

I have followed all of the steps at http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-to...d-off-1091.html and everything went smoothly except for the last command of "winmgmt /resetrepository" to which I received the reply:

C:\Users\Office>winmgmt /resetrepository

WMI repository reset failed

Error code: 0x8007041B

Facility: Win32

Description: A stop control has been sent to a service that other running ser

vices are dependent on.

Other than that, everything went exactly as you'd expect.

I have a very clean Windows registry, there are no remnants of any other security software suites, the system is connected via hard-wired ethernet / cable modem 24/7, and I take very good care of it. I do manual Windows updates and other application updates daily in addition to (unreliable) automatic updates. It is a work system with no junk on it - no file file sharing crap, no games, no bulls**t. I keep my system tuned and tight for work purposes.

I just ran the BD "Repair" option from the BD Uninstall feature, and even after rebooting and fully updating again, the issue persists.

Next step is a full uninstall, registry cleanup, and reinstall.

If that doesn't work I'm going back to a different product.

Thanks for the advice so far in this thread about this very old and very persistent bug in the software. No thanks for the posts insinuating that we don't know what we're doing.

• I just got another update from Windows for my Windows 8 computer, and now I am getting the usual message from Action center that many people are reporting. I have done that repository fix at least 4 times already. It seems to work for a while until the next BIG update from Bitdefender or Microsoft, and then the problem returns. Running BD 2013 Total Security, but this issue is starting to be a pain where the sun does not shine.

• My Bitdefender TS 2013 (Build 16.28.0.1789) is detected by Windows (Windows 7 U. SP1. X86 fully updated). Action Center as turned off.

this doesn't always happen, sometimes it says that it is turned on, and sometimes Turned off, and it's working GREATLY (not turned OFF).

just wanna know if you guys got "the fix" for this annoying problem.

--------------

regards.

• Hi SilentDEVIL, and welcome :)

See if this KB article will resolve this issue for you permanently: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-to...d-off-1091.html

Keep us in touch,

Scott

• Hi SilentDEVIL, and welcome :)

See if this KB article will resolve this issue for you permanently: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-to...d-off-1091.html

Keep us in touch,

Scott

Hi Scott, and thanks for your response

but I've already seen this page before, and nothing helped me, my Action Center couldn't Turn on bitdefender (While it's working properly)

so the message doesn't disappear, and that's really annoying.

• You can try running a repair, and seeing if that helps: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35489

Otherwise, if this was a newer install of Bitdefender, we would have to consider if the previous AV was totally uninstalled prior to the BD install, as that can cause glitches. Is this a newer install, or have you had Total Security up and running for months, and it just started acting up?

• i tried with Support

and repair, but my BD2013 is still reported as "off" in action center.

• i tried with Support

and repair, but my BD2013 is still reported as "off" in action center.

I am using Win8 OS x64, and BD2013 TS, my build is 16.29 already.

I tried all means to fix the action center report problem, but it still persists. I am so frustrated about this.

BD is not fixing the problem, guess it is a conflict problem with Win8 and BD 2013, permanently problem before windows blue is released? Or we have to wait for BD2014?

If anyone can advice, thanks a lot.

B.R.

Stephen

• Please help... I have the same problem.

• I have the same problem here. Has not been fixed for at least half a year. This is certainly not a trustworthy feature of a securtiy solution.

Downloaded Bitdefender Internet Security 21013 about 3 weeks ago.

By the way, another issue which was reported in 2011 (scan changes registry settings for hidden folders) got the same reaction by Bitdefender: Christian promised "I will get back to you on this when I have more information.". No reaction since then and not fixed in BD 2014.

At least BD does not remove critical posts.

What ist the situation here?

• I am having the same problem. I have done the recommended fix http://www.bitdefender.com/support/What-to...d-off-1091.html.

I got this reply on the last step-

C:\Users\Office>winmgmt /resetrepository

WMI repository reset failed

Error code: 0x8007041B

Facility: Win32

Description: A stop control has been sent to a service that other running services are dependent on.

This did not fix anything.

I have done a repair on Bitdefender, still not fixed.

I am running Vista. The Bitdefender build is 16.30.0.1843

• I posted on this to another part of the forum yesterday but will repeat what I said as this appears to be the main section for replying to this. I started using Bitdefender earlier this year and never had this problem on my old computer. I did a new build and installed Bitdefender as the AV program on a computer that never had another AV program installed. I started encountering this problem about three weeks ago and went through the process outlined in the Support post here: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-to...d-off-1091.html This seems to clear up the problem when it appears though one has to reset the repository twice in order to fully solve the issue. This is an intermittent problem as several days will go by before it appears again and then I may get several consecutive days of the flag appearing.

I am running Win7, 64bit and have version 16.30.0.1843 of the software installed on my computer. This problem is an annoyance and maybe security is not being compromised. The first time it appeared, I didn't catch it until late in the day (I keep my taskbar hidden). Even though Bitdefender said it was working, I did run a full scan with both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes and found no infected files. Still this does not give me any great comfort about this product given that the problem has gone on for some time now.

I'm willing to give the software developers another month to solve this to my satisfaction otherwise I'll move on to another product since this really should not be happening.

• GlynG
    edited July 2013

I bought BD Total Security 2013 around a month ago for the secondhand laptop I acquired. I'm running XP and I've now experienced this issue with the Windows Security Centre reporting it can't find an AV or Firewall a couple of times. It's disappointing this has been a known issue for so long without it being fixed.

Is my computer safe? I'm worried this could be caused by malware that is tricking BD into looking like it's running normally.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited July 2013

Hi GlynG :)

As you have seen from this thread, this has been an on and off issue for awhile. It's just a "miscommunication" thing between BD and Action Center. You need not worry as far as your protection, as long as BD shows green on the Upper Toolbar/Security Widget and no warning color (yellow/red) in the BD System tray icon, you're fine. Bitdefender has the the below safeguards to help BD from being trick, or manipulated by malware:

Intrusion Detection System/IDS:

• Detects unwanted access to system resources and blocks applications from disabling and/or manipulating computer system.

• If there are applications you trust and do not want the Intrusion Detection System to scan, you can add exclusion rules for them. The operation of the Intrusion Detection System is related to that of the Active Virus Control. Process exclusion rules apply to both systems.

• Seems to be more of a known and "brute force" analysis of malware attacks. (personal interpretation)

Active Virus Control/AVC:

Bitdefender Active Virus Control is an innovative proactive detection technology which uses advanced heuristic methods to detect new potential threats in real time.

Active Virus Control continuously monitors the applications running on the computer, looking for malware-like actions. Each of these actions is scored and an overall score is computed for each process. When the overall score for a process reaches a given threshold, the process is considered to be harmful and it is blocked automatically.

• The operation of the Intrusion Detection System is related to that of the Active Virus Control. Process exclusion rules apply to both systems.

• Uses more behavior/heuristic analysis of malware attacks/processes.

Please also keep AVC set at Normal, and for IDS Permissive, as anything higher than these settings may only cause other issues, and is usually done to help with detecting malware on an infected PC.

Hope this helped :)

Scott

edit:sp

• Also this problem is not exclusive to Bitdefender. I have come across the same behaviour with Norton, Kaspersky, AVG, ESET and Avast before now. It actually can also manifest due to a WMI issue.

Windows Security Center uses Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) to acquire information about the installed Anti-virus and Firewall applications, and their current status. In some cases, the Security Center may show outdated or misleading information due to problem in WMI repository.

The repository may need repairing on your system. google 'how to repair WMI repository' on your operating system and follow the instructions. there will be some to check the state of the repository and to repair it if necessary.

• additionally, go through the bitdefender support article again and make sure you didn't miss a step. if it still fails you need further information on how the process works or how to deal with error messages during the process, hit google.

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/What-to...d-off-1091.html

• Thanks for the response! Glad to hear it's a false alarm. I'll try and fix it at some point but will ignore it for the moment

Please also keep AVC set at Normal, and for IDS Permissive, as anything higher than these settings may only cause other issues, and is usually done to help with detecting malware on an infected PC.

Really? I've had both set to the maximum aggressive since I installed the program a month ago, it sounds like the safest setting and I'd rather it be more secure even if the computer runs a bit slower.

• Thanks for the response! Glad to hear it's a false alarm. I'll try and fix it at some point but will ignore it for the moment

Really? I've had both set to the maximum aggressive since I installed the program a month ago, it sounds like the safest setting and I'd rather it be more secure even if the computer runs a bit slower.

Your welcome.

Not a problem, GlynG, I was just going by previous user posts with issues running those setting in their highest settings, and recommendations from the threads and posts :)

• senton1
    edited August 2013

I don't know if there is any change at Bitdender's end? I didn't do anything nevertheless the Action Center flag does not have a reminder cross into it any more. The material in the Action Center about services being deterred is not there now.

my blog

• hello all,

I purchased bitdefender 2013 in June this year and initially, until last week, all was running nice and smooth.

Then last week I have encountered the same problems as you guys have.

I contacted their support and they send me an upgrade to bitdefender 2014, which I did yesterday, and guess what? The problem stayed the same.

The first problem was that the computer was coming up with security warning after coming out of sleeping mode, which wasn't happening in the first two months of using bitdefender.

Then i started getting messages from WIndows Action Centre.

I read forums, followed the steps from numerous articles (ie switch off/on the laptop mode, adjust user setting etc) and nothing works.

Like you, I followed the steps from the article and 'reset respiratory' and I'm getting the same error message.

Someone here said it's Microsoft issue, not recognizing bitdefender.

Well, if for the first couple of months I haven't had these issues; if I haven't tweaked anything or changed settings, how come suddenly it is there?

It is annoying and something must have changed along the way if I'm getting this messages after two months of running with no problem?

I see from other posts that it is a known problem.

I am not a tech person and if I buy a programme, I don't want to have too much issues running it and having to follow instructions to repair it.

I was using Norton for the past few years, and although it is heavy AV to use, but I have never had problems such as this. I bought bitdefender because it had good reviews, but sadly, I'm finding it way too time consuming to deal with it.

Im using win7 pro on lenovo ideapad i5