Paranoid Mode Goes Off

hello there,

i'm using my bd ts 2013 firewall with paranoid mode one, kinda "paranoid" indeed, but i like to keep in control with what wants to go online.

once in a few pc restarts (haven't found a pattern) i see that the the paranoid option is showed "off", although i wasn't the one turning it off.

using win 8 64x.

is it only a wrong settings issue? (tried generic mode "yes" & "no" both same output)

or is it something else?

thanks.

Comments

• hello there,

i'm using my bd ts 2013 firewall with paranoid mode one, kinda "paranoid" indeed, but i like to keep in control with what wants to go online.

once in a few pc restarts (haven't found a pattern) i see that the the paranoid option is showed "off", although i wasn't the one turning it off.

using win 8 64x.

is it only a wrong settings issue? (tried generic mode "yes" & "no" both same output)

or is it something else?

thanks.

Try to log-in as Administrator and change the settings on Windows 8.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi yocimeister,

If the issue persists, to further investigate this case please post here a support tool log:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the files are too big to attach, upload them on

http://www.sendspace.com or http://www.mediafire.com

and post the download link.

If you were already asked to generate these logs, disregard the above message and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you.

• indie - by changing the settings as an administrator on win 8. what did you intend?

i enabled the local admin account, logged on to it and made sure that the paranoid option is on. anything else? thx

georgia - sorry, forgott to mention this. a few days ago i sent a support tool log to the support team. not very long ago i got the following answer:

i have zemana antilogger free installed (a keyboard encryption software), i was advised to remove the program.

sadly the problem exists from before i had zemana installed, so i don't believe it to be the issue.

i even tried to enable password protection to change bd settings, but it won't protect the paranoid option.

maybe another idea?

thanks very much for the fast reply indie and georgia!

• indie - by changing the settings as an administrator on win 8. what did you intend?

i enabled the local admin account, logged on to it and made sure that the paranoid option is on. anything else? thx

Right click on the BD Icon and on "Run As Administrator".

Go to your "Paranoid Mode" and turn it on.

It should work.

• Right click on the BD Icon and on "Run As Administrator".

Go to your "Paranoid Mode" and turn it on.

It should work.

i will try a couple of restarts with the administrator option as you suggested indie. will report back and see how it goes.

thanks!

• tried the administrator option you suggested a few times indie, sadly wont help...

now i'm noticing that another option (although not an important one) is changing by itself (in general settings the keyboard shortcut for game mode).

and something else, maybe not to this thread, but sometimes programs are allowed going online (with paranoid mode on) while not allowed. for example:

if i allow a process c\windows\system32\rundll.exe so it will also appear on unauthorized occasions as C\Windows\System\rundll.exe (with capital letters), it also happens in other processes such as msiexec etc.

maybe unrelated issues, but all are around settings which change on they're own.

would love some help.

thx!

• indie
    edited April 2013
    tried the administrator option you suggested a few times indie, sadly wont help...

now i'm noticing that another option (although not an important one) is changing by itself (in general settings the keyboard shortcut for game mode).

and something else, maybe not to this thread, but sometimes programs are allowed going online (with paranoid mode on) while not allowed. for example:

if i allow a process c\windows\system32\rundll.exe so it will also appear on unauthorized occasions as C\Windows\System\rundll.exe (with capital letters), it also happens in other processes such as msiexec etc.

maybe unrelated issues, but all are around settings which change on they're own.

would love some help.

thx!

Are you talking about a laptop or a computer? If you have a laptop, then here is the answer from BD:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry163602

=============================================================

From Christian:

The issue was escalated to our developers.

All those events are related to the fact that right now the product can not restore the initial status. So basically, if you are in Auto Pilot and it automatically goes in Laptop Mode, when Laptop Mode is turned off automatically or manually, the product won't be restored in Auto Pilot.

This situation won't affect the security of the system.

I will let you know when I have more data on this.

Thank you for your patience and for the cooperation with BitDefender team.

Have a great weekend!

=============================================

From Georgia:

As Christian already announced before, the developers are working on this issue. If we don't have enough time to apply the fix in Bitdefender 2013, rest assured we will migrate it in Bitdefender 2014. As a workaround, you can keep the Autopilot always enabled by disabling automatic laptop mode / game mode from Settings > General.

Thank you all for your feedback and for your patience.

• hi,

i'm using a pc and not a laptop. don;t know if the source of these two problems is the same...

anyway, still after each restart some of my settings are changed back to an earlier state.

still looking for a solution, even an answer such as "it's a known bug and working on fixing it" is fine, just want to make sure it's not a problem or a security issue with my own pc.

thanks.

• hi,

i'm using a pc and not a laptop. don;t know if the source of these two problems is the same...

anyway, still after each restart some of my settings are changed back to an earlier state.

still looking for a solution, even an answer such as "it's a known bug and working on fixing it" is fine, just want to make sure it's not a problem or a security issue with my own pc.

thanks.

I would say the following:

1. Completely uninstall your BitDefender Antivirus and reinstall it. Just write down your serial number for BD.

The best idea would be to "refresh" your Windows 8 OS.

After you complete refreshing your OS, first install your BitDefender Antivirus, and check if it changes anything.

To my regret, I did quite a few refresh of Windows 8 on two of my Win8 systems and that's the only one way to go.

• well refreshing my win 8 would sure be my last resort, it's sure is a lot of work, installations and settings to do all over again. hoping for a magic solution for now. maybe will consider this later on.

the furthest i went with this issue is refreshing the bd installation after removing some programs which may interfere with it.

many thanks for the ideas indie!

• just found out a perfectly bizarre matter concerning the issue at hand.

the problem happens each time i restart my pc. i found out when i "shut down" my pc the settings i used are saved.

i tried restarting after a shut down and then the problem happened again. the three settings (paranoid mode, wifi monitoring and game mode keyboard shortcut) are changed again against my will.

hope this could bring up some ideas.

thanks!

• just saw this post in the bd 2014 beta forum.

sounds the same.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=44303

• well, took a while, but yesterday i got an uninstall tool and a new copy of bd installation via mail by the bd support team, used the uninstall tool, cleaned some registry files manually, installed fresh - and magic, it works. the settings now stay as i intend.

thanks for the replies!

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

I am glad the issue was resolved. Thank you for taking the time to reply and keep us updated.

Since everything is back to normal, I declare this topic closed.

Hope you all have a beautiful week ahead! :)

This discussion has been closed.