Inconsistent Results

leighton@mail.com
edited June 2013 in Antivirus

I do a "Full System Scan" three times a week (M-W-F) and the count of scanned items can vary from 287K to 2.1 million items. Why is there such variability? doesn't a "Full Scan" scan all there is to scan, every time?

Thanks,

Leighton

Comments

• columbo
    columbo
    edited June 2013

Hi Leighton :)

Your scans will show differing results, depending on what files were changed, accessed or modified since your previous scan, as Bitdefender does not scan all the files again if cached. It does seem like quite a disparity between the scans though. Check the scan logs, and see what's been skipped and how many between your scans.

Here is a helpful link, along with the link Christian posted: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=33810

ONT keeps up with this better than I do, he may have some helpful follow up thoughts.

:)

Scott

edit: by the way, if you have Autoscan turned on, you would really only need to do a manual scan 1-2 times a month, as the manual scans can be pretty taxing on your processor, and the Autoscan is less intense. Just a thought :)

• I do a "Full System Scan" three times a week (M-W-F) and the count of scanned items can vary from 287K to 2.1 million items. Why is there such variability? doesn't a "Full Scan" scan all there is to scan, every time?

Thanks,

Leighton

I am interested to view the scan logs also. However possible reasons are

1) Changing/Modification in files, after accessing since last scan (Smart Scan feature / Skipped Items) as Scott mentioned.

2) Difference in the count of Temporary Files.

3) You may use some system cleaning tools e.g CCleaner.

4) Every software upon updating made some changes, deleting or adding files and registry entries.

5) There is a connection between scanned items by AutoScan with other scan tasks e.g Full Scan etc because of point of 1.

6) The scanning of files inside archives and installers.

• Hi Leighton, if you really would like. You can do a scan just right after the first one. Meaning, there ware no file changes. And see if it makes a difference. smile2.png