Stuck In Laptop Mode After Hibernation?

antikythera
edited July 2013 in General

Internet Security build 17.13.0.551

OS Vista HP x64 SP2

Hello, my notebook got stuck in laptop mode after resuming from hibernate today on mains power.

Cause? I put the notebook to sleep and disconnected from mains while I was out for a hospital appointment, so the notebook went into hibernation from sleep mode after 5 hours as it should. to hibernate it comes back on powered by battery very briefly to save the hiberfile.sys image to HDD. this activity switched BIS to laptop mode.

when I just plugged the notebook in and turned it on it stayed in laptop mode even though the notebook has mains power. it didn't detect the power source switch back to mains.

to get round it, I turned off Autopilot mode and then turned it back on again. It seems to have sorted the issue.

Comments

• Internet Security build 17.13.0.551

OS Vista HP x64 SP2

Hello, my notebook got stuck in laptop mode after resuming from hibernate today on mains power.

Cause? I put the notebook to sleep and disconnected from mains while I was out for a hospital appointment, so the notebook went into hibernation from sleep mode after 5 hours as it should. to hibernate it comes back on powered by battery very briefly to save the hiberfile.sys image to HDD. this activity switched BIS to laptop mode.

when I just plugged the notebook in and turned it on it stayed in laptop mode even though the notebook has mains power. it didn't detect the power source switch back to mains.

to get round it, I turned off Autopilot mode and then turned it back on again. It seems to have sorted the issue.

Only one workaround

just repair bd.

Even my Desktop gets stuck at game mode even if game gets closed and when i try manually disable it does not get disabled.

• thanks for that suggestion.

I already repaired the installation last week for another issue which warranted it.

I don't have the time or energy to spend on repairing it and restoring all the rules and settings that can't be backed up and restored again. As far as I'm concerned I have a workaround I can put up with.

If BD do patch the program for this later down the line then fair enough. I have provided above details of cause and effect along with a workaround. I will provide anything further needed to BD only if they want to look into it further.

It would understandably be rated as a low priority bug for most security vendors as it doesn't impact massively on the protection of the computer. So unless a large volume of people experience and report the issue I doubt anything will be done any time soon.

• open with technical support. I recreated the behaviour over night as requested by them and sent fresh debug info and screen snips for it. fyi it may be a tray icon issue only in this instance. while the support tool gathered the info for the compressed archive automatic update ran and completed even though the laptop mode symbol was showing still on mains power.

either way it is being looked into.

• I've sent them about 5 or so reports for various bugs and have yet to hear back from one of them so let me know if you get a reply from yours as I've probably had this issue before. So many bugs I cannot remember.

• Yes I have had an informative answer. Apparently there were leftovers from BD 2013 after the removal process run by the new bitdefender installer.

I am waiting to see if the suggested fix (using old 2013 and new BD removal tools to clean up all traces of BD software and starting from scratch) has worked before reporting back to them if it hasn't. At the very least it should rule out that as a cause.

• antikythera
    edited July 2013

Okay the following seems to have worked. 99.9% of which was from Robert Pricop, Bitdefender Technical Support Engineer. additionals i deemed necessary are in italics

Process:

1. I ran uninstaller from windows start menu for The New Bitdefender IS.

2. To have Bitdefender fully uninstalled, please save and then run the files (i ran these in windows safe mode)

in the links below:

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...nstall_Tool.exe

and

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...installTool.exe

3. Restart the computer and I ran CCleaner to remove leftover MUI registry entries.

and 4. install Bitdefender using the off-line installer

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...r_is_17_64b.exe

When prompted if you want to download the latest installation files, select

"NO".

• Thanks for posting the tech support steps. They still are in line with what we having been doing here, it's a good confirmation.

I agree with your uninstalling from the Control Panel or All Programs first then the uninstall tool, and of using CCleaner. I don't usually do the Safe Mode trick though..good idea :)

Now for the $10,000. question, what's the .1% that may not be fixed..lol, just kidding ^_^ Glad to hear it sounds like you have a clean running install.

• Your situation is the combination of two issues

1) Bitdefender hangs the system while resuming from Hibernation.

2) Laptop Mode does not detect the Power Source when resumed from Hibernation and power connected.

The former is very old issue since 2012 version, I also faced this many times even if I disable Laptop Mode. The Laptop usually hangs for a while after resuming from hibernation.

JYI, for thorough uninstallation of Bitdefender or any other Antivirus, I share some instruction in below topic. Kindly read that and share/add your experience and knowledge about that subject.

How To Remove Previous Antivirus Traces And Re-installation Of Bitdefender, Detailed Procedure

• Omer your guide pretty much covers every angle. Nice work, nothing to add really that hasn't already been commented about it.

I tried upgrading the way I did to see how effective the uninstaller was being new to BD. The same applied to my previous antivirus. I just wondered if the BD routine was more effective out the box. For all intensive purposes it seemed to do the job. There wasn't anything too serious manifesting. However, from the support logs Robert clearly found some leftovers that needed dealing with. The acid test will be the next few days usage. It woke up okay last night without issues though after recreating the same power transitions but the problem had been intermittent.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Thank you for your follow-up posts, antikythera.

Please keep us updated.

• Issue is resolved thanks. Please close this thread :)

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Thank you for taking the time to post back.

Since everything is back to normal, I declare this topic closed.

Hope you all have a beautiful day! :)

This discussion has been closed.