Does Active Scanner Even Work?

So I guess the idea of the Active Scanner is to scan the system when it's not in use. Cool idea, but I have to wonder if it's even doing its job. I noticed my computer acting a bit strange and when I opened bit defender, the definitions are out of date, active scanner was off, and that usually indicates an issue. I managed to update my definitions, reboot the PC and run a scan. It found a trojan hanging out in my media server directory (media server is WAN accessible).

It's a bit troubling to see this happen, if active scan was doing its job I think I would have seen a popup before it managed to take down your antivirus software. This is also a good argument to use to get the scheduler re-implemented. Seriously, WHY would you take that option away from users?

I have lost faith in your antivirus doing a decent job, I have 324 days left on this license so I'm relatively new to the product, but I feel I already need to be searching for an alternative. Very disappointing considering your software did get decent reviews from several sites.

Comments

• So I guess the idea of the Active Scanner is to scan the system when it's not in use. Cool idea, but I have to wonder if it's even doing its job. I noticed my computer acting a bit strange and when I opened bit defender, the definitions are out of date, active scanner was off, and that usually indicates an issue. I managed to update my definitions, reboot the PC and run a scan. It found a trojan hanging out in my media server directory (media server is WAN accessible).

It's a bit troubling to see this happen, if active scan was doing its job I think I would have seen a popup before it managed to take down your antivirus software. This is also a good argument to use to get the scheduler re-implemented. Seriously, WHY would you take that option away from users?

I have lost faith in your antivirus doing a decent job, I have 324 days left on this license so I'm relatively new to the product, but I feel I already need to be searching for an alternative. Very disappointing considering your software did get decent reviews from several sites.

Hi tron, and welcome :)

As far as a scheduled scan, that feature has been implemented in The New Bitdefender, and all who have a valid license are able to upgrade to the version free, details can be found here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=366&id=58

SchedualedScan_zpscaddaaa5.jpg

Kind regards,

Scott

• Well, trying to install the new version has made things infinitely worse. I got a blue screen right after install and windows would no longer boot up. Windows tried a repair (which I am assuming was loading LKGC) so now I have bitdefender in limbo. It shows up in my task bar, but you cannot open the program or uninstall it. Trying to install a new version says the old one must be removed first. So now I have a gimped install of your AV and I might have to reload the OS.

Also, do you have a link for a refund? I'd rather go with MSE or some other free AV scanner, this experience has been absolutely horrid.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited July 2013

Sorry to hear things got worse. Try using the uninstall tools from this link, which had some advise for another member: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=192190

Customer support can be found here (also my siggy) for chat or phone support: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/contact-us.html

Hope either way things get worked out, and I'm sure having, or unfortunately getting a trojan, didn't help matters with the glitches it caused. -_-

Kind regards,

Scott

• Sorry to hear things got worse. Try using the uninstall tools from this link, which had some advise for another member: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=192190

Customer support can be found here (also my siggy) for chat or phone support: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/contact-us.html

Hope either way things get worked out, and I'm sure having, or unfortunately getting a trojan, didn't help matters with the glitches it caused. -_-

Kind regards,

Scott

Turns out the trojan was a false positive with python, so no actual infection. I have contacted customer service about the refund, I am just outside the 30 days so hopefully I get it. Otherwise, I will chalk it up to lesson learned and continue to use avast.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited July 2013

Thanks for posting back, tron. Glad to hear the trojan was a just a FP, which then leads me to think a repair may have helped with the original BD issues.

I'm just a member here, and so when I mention this, take it as a friend to a friend. If you don't get your money back, maybe consider using the uninstall tools I linked to previously (for both versions), and running CCleaner and see if there are any leftover BD reg. keys, and delete them.

If you previously had another AV 30+ days ago, then run that AVs (Avast) uninstall tool and look for any leftovers in the usual places. We have found that Bitdefender can get glitchie when it even smells another AV companies files/folders that are left behind. Then try a fresh install of The New Bitdefender using the full offline installer here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46845

Again, with what you've been through, I'm not trying to sell you, but that if you now own the BD license, it may be worth a shot?

Thanks again for your time, and considering my suggestions.

:)

Scott

• genghis_tron
    edited July 2013

Actually, this is a new build and the OS re-install happened the same time I purchased this AV (~1 month ago) so there were no previous AVs installed. My comp has new mobo and CPU but the RAM, power supply, and video card, and HDs are the same. I didn't buy any chea.p parts for this system, but I don't want to rule out a possibility of a hardware conflict for some of the BSODs but my system has remained stable since I used the uninstall tool.

I also was thinking I should just put up with BD since I have the license, but now the AV won't even install without hard locking the comp. I am using Avast at this point and so far so good, also did a deep scan and schedule scans nightly along with malwarebytes and no bugs have come up so far. So either BD hates my comp or I guess I may have a hardware issue that needs to be tracked down.

• From all of our back and forth posting, you are obviously very PC savvy, and I mean that with all sincerity :) So it just may be one of those things like you say of Bitdefender not liking something somewhere :blink: For now, go with what is working, and you are familiar with. I suppose you could try to pursue it with sending in log files etc., but what a hassle, it shouldn't be that hard.

By the way, does Avast still have Pirate talk mode (Avast is a nautical term, thus it that had that option) It's against forum rules to go any further than that, in comparing AVs, so I'll leave it there.

Thanks again for your patient and pleasant posts :)

Scott

• Actually, this is a new build and the OS re-install happened the same time I purchased this AV (~1 month ago) so there were no previous AVs installed. My comp has new mobo and CPU but the RAM, power supply, and video card, and HDs are the same. I didn't buy any chea.p parts for this system, but I don't want to rule out a possibility of a hardware conflict for some of the BSODs but my system has remained stable since I used the uninstall tool.

I also was thinking I should just put up with BD since I have the license, but now the AV won't even install without hard locking the comp. I am using Avast at this point and so far so good, also did a deep scan and schedule scans nightly along with malwarebytes and no bugs have come up so far. So either BD hates my comp or I guess I may have a hardware issue that needs to be tracked down.

By the way do you have ASUS motherboard or any hardware of the same?

• What ONT may be referring to, is some have had issues with BD and Asus: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=190575

• I certainly do have Asus and AI suite III installed. I think we have the smoking gun here, thanks to you both.