[solved] Computer Slowsdown With Bitdefender

2»

Comments

• Hi,

I didn't have this problem with the last bitdefender but I do with the latest version.

It seems after Bitdefender has run its idle scan or whatever it does when it is idle, the computer becomes incredibly unresponsive, taking 30 seconds plus to open a program or go to a webpage etc, my system runs off an SSD so I know that isn't causing the slowdown, the problem only started since installing the latest Bitdefender.

I am experiencing this same issue as you describe. A reboot usually solves the problem.

• Internet Security 2014 trial version 17.16.0.773. At some seemingly random point my system slows way down. Even trying to open the Task Manager takes about 10 seconds. Opening BD takes the same. I see no unusual CPU activity which is only about 3%. Even shutting off Autoscan, Privacy, Firewall and Update does not help. The only resolution is a reboot or uninstall. I have a very fast PC, Core i7 with SSD drives. Running Windows 8 32 bit. <_<

• After upgrading my Bitdefender internet security to 2014 my desktop and laptop both are having exactly same issues. Both run Windows 8 64 bit and after the upgrade there is a huge lag after any action.

e.g. If I click on Chrome icon it will take between 5 - 10 seconds to respond and start Chrome, before update it was almost immediate.

Same happens with all applications.

In Chrome if I open a new tab, enter a URL and hit enter, it will not respond for around 5 seconds. After 5 seconds or so it will start showing some activity and start loading the page.

Is there any solution to fix this issue or get around this lag?

Thank you

• antikythera
    edited September 2013

please try running the two bitdefender uninstall tools in windows safe mode. don't forget to make a note of the license key first though.

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...nstall_Tool.exe

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...installTool.exe

then restart windows and try installing the 2014 program again. the performance and stability should be better once you have downloaded all available database and program updates following the clean installation.

• I have a similar problem.

Well, after the last product update, everything seems to be running fine again. No more slowdowns because of Autoscan.

• I am currently evaluating the trial version of Bitdefender Antivirus Plus. I have configured my update settings to prompt me before downloading updates. Several times each day, I receive a pop-up inviting me to download a signatures update. If I accept this, my computer becomes unresponsive and unusable for the next couple of minutes or so. Are other Bitdefender users seeing this as well?

• antikythera
    edited September 2013

not really. since updating have you restarted the pc? also, have you got windows defender or anything else malware prevention related running at the same time providing realtime protection in addition to bitdefender?

• not really. since updating have you restarted the pc? also, have you got windows defender or anything else malware prevention related running at the same time providing realtime protection in addition to bitdefender?

I don't restart the PC after downloading and installing the signatures update. Is this recommended? This would be even more disruptive than the lock-outs that I'm currently experiencing.

I don't have Windows Defender or any other real-time protection running.

My laptop has an SSD and I have noticed that the disk light is on continuously during the time that I'm experiencing the lock-out.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm finding these lock-outs very disruptive and I won't be purchasing Bitdefender if I can't find a solution.

• antikythera
    edited September 2013

no, only restart if prompted after a program update is downloaded. signature updates shouldn't be that disruptive either. they do seem to generate some HDD activity but it lasts seconds not minutes.

• Hello,

Please be advised that a new Bitdefender product update was recently released, which fixes the slowdown you reported here. Make sure that the Bitdefender product updates daily, and in order to do this please right click on the Bitdefender icon from the system tray and choose 'Update now'. Once the Bitdefender product will ask you to restart the computer and the build version will change to 17.18.0.808 (latest build) the issue should be fixed.

To make sure you have the latest build please right click on the Bitdefender icon from the system tray, choose 'About' and look at the 'Product Information'.

If the product does not display the build number 17.18.0.808, please repair Bitdefender by following the steps indicated in this article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-do-...ender-1155.html

We are very sorry for any inconvenience that we may have created and we remain at your disposal for further information.

• please try running the two bitdefender uninstall tools in windows safe mode. don't forget to make a note of the license key first though.

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...nstall_Tool.exe

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...installTool.exe

then restart windows and try installing the 2014 program again. the performance and stability should be better once you have downloaded all available database and program updates following the clean installation.

Hello,

This didn't help. My both computer are still sluggish. I would want to know if there is a way I get get refund back for my left subscription. I have been having this issue and there seems to be no solution for this and this is affecting my work as my computers are slow.

Thank you

• Big_al
    edited October 2013

Well finally bit the bullet and uninstalled bitdefender.

Causing computer slowdown , mouse cursor anomalies, gui slow to respond .

I paid for a licence for no reason other than to have it act worse than the viruses I was trying to prevent.

Sad to do it, I even went to the extreme of repaving the system and a clean install still didn't cure it .

I can't knock it's protection rating but that is of no use if it is behaving as badly as the malware you are trying to prevent .

• Hello,

This didn't help. My both computer are still sluggish. I would want to know if there is a way I get get refund back for my left subscription. I have been having this issue and there seems to be no solution for this and this is affecting my work as my computers are slow.

Thank you

The response time is getting painfully slow even after reinstalling twice using the method mentioned in the earlier post. Is there any fix for this?

• ylame
    edited September 2013

I have Windows 8 Pro. x64 bit and having the excat same issue on 2 machines which run the latest version of Bitdefender internet security. On the third machine I still have the older version of bitdefender and it runs normal, there is no lag on that machines. It's only these two machines with the latest version which run very slow.

When I start a new application, it takes around 10 seconds for the application to start, earlier the same application would start instantly

For web browsing when I visit a page or click a like it would take ~ 10 seconds before responding and displaying any activity.

This is very annoying, after every action I need to wait few seconds(extremely annoying few seconds) before I see any response. Is there are fix for this? or is there anyone working on fixing this issue or worst is this issue even being considered?

I bought a 2 years subscription and I cannot use it if this is the performance I'll get. Please post an ETA when the issue will be fixed and what is causing the issue.

Thank you

• similar story here, slooow internet.

I have Windows 8 Pro. x64 bit and having the excat same issue on 2 machines which run the latest version of Bitdefender internet security. On the third machine I still have the older version of bitdefender and it runs normal, there is no lag on that machines. It's only these two machines with the latest version which run very slow.

When I start a new application, it takes around 10 seconds for the application to start, earlier the same application would start instantly

For web browsing when I visit a page or click a like it would take ~ 10 seconds before responding and displaying any activity.

This is very annoying, after every action I need to wait few seconds(extremely annoying few seconds) before I see any response. Is there are fix for this? or is there anyone working on fixing this issue or worst is this issue even being considered?

I bought a 2 years subscription and I cannot use it if this is the performance I'll get. Please post an ETA when the issue will be fixed and what is causing the issue.

Thank you

• Bitdefender folks,

Any fix yet? or any estimate/updates?

Thank you

• Bitdefender folks,

Any fix yet? or any estimate/updates?

Thank you

Mine was fixed with the 17.18.0.808 update, have you tried turning auto scan back on?

• Nope, it's even worse on 3 of my computers...uninstalling and switching back to Kaspersky

• Mine was fixed with the 17.18.0.808 update, have you tried turning auto scan back on?

I'm running 17.20.0.883 and the problem seems worse than ever.Module PMXBAG.exe is using a constant 25% of the CPU and I can hear the drive churning, when nothing (not even a scan) should be occurring.