Bitdefender Commandline Scan

How do I scan a file from command line with BitDefender Internet Security 2010?

Cris: Download and usage hints for BitDefender Console Launcher can be found in Post #3

Comments

• Hello Kelvinsmj,

Bellow you will find the procedure that should help you scan with BitDefender from Command Prompt .

First locate the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\ and there you should look after the last file that begins with av32bit_XXXX. For example av32bit_16333. You should open that file and you will see that there is an executable file called "bdc.exe" .

You will have to access this executable file from Command Prompt. Here is what you have to do:

1. Click on Start from Windows and choose Run.

2. In the run text field please type cmd and hit Ok.

3. The Command Prompt window will show up.

4. Please type the following command : cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\av32bit_16333\" and hit Enter.

5. After that please type bdc.exe and hit Enter.

6. Now in order to scan a file or a folder you will have to type bdc.exe and the path of that file. (Example: bdc.exe c:\Program Files) and hit Enter.

Thank you.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited December 2009

Hello Kelvinsmj (and anyone else who is interested about this matter),

HERE you will find a tool called BitDefender Console Launcher.

Basically, this tool does what Alex explained above. It's a tool which you can use to start bdc, offering in the same time a simple, fast and intuitive graphical interface to configure the scanning parameters.

How to get it:

You will find at the above link 2 executables: bdc launcher.exe (32 bits) and bdc launcher x64.exe (64 bits).

Download the one that is OK for your system. If you have BitDefender on 32 bits, you have to download the first one. Otherwise, the second.

Save the file wherever you want (preferably, in an empty folder).

How it works:

First of all, you can simply run it. It will display a dialog where you can set the scanning options:

post-60-1262198774_thumb.png

Any combination of those options should be valid (except the Do not recurse folders, which will make bdc ignore the Folder recursion depth option). Clicking Save will save all settings into a file settings.ini, in the same folder as BDC Launcher.

The Help button also gives some hints and details about how it works.

The utility of this tool is that it can be used in different applications (like download managers) which have the option of automatically using an antivirus scanner. After you've configured BDC Launcher, you can set the application in question to "scan with BDC Launcher", by setting this command line:

"bdc launcher.exe" %1

%1 means the path that needs to be sent as command line. Depending on the application you need to set, this parameter might be different, or even be missing (and be added directly). Check the Help file of the application to make sure you type the correct command line.

Basically, BDC Launcher will take the path received in command line and launch bdc.exe using the parameters previously set (when you first set the scanning options) and the path. So BDC Launcher is somehow an interface for easy access to bdc.

bdc.exe is also capable of generating scan logs (you can configure the log location and a few options for logging from BDC Launcher). However, the only downside is that these logs will not show up in BitDefender 2010 History. If you want to save the logs, you will have to save them manually.

What do you need to run it:

All you need to run BDC Launcher is to have BitDefender installed correctly on your system. BDC Launcher is not an antivirus itself, so it needs BitDefender to run correctly.

This tool has been tested and worked fine on both x86 and x64 architectures, and also was tested and worked fine on Windows 7.

Also, it was only tested and worked with BitDefender 2010, but it might also work on previous versions (2008 and/or 2009).

However, if you encouter any problems or bugs, or if you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact me, either by posting in this topic, or by sending me a PM.

DISCLAIMER: This tool is not made by BitDefender team. Any complaints about this tools should be sent to me directly. Also, please note that I will not be held responsible for any problems occurred during usage of this tool. I will do everything in power to fix any possible problems that might occur, but in the end, you will use this software at your own risk.

I will pin this topic to Important. Any future topics about this matter will be closed and redirected to this one.

Cris.

• coolcool1227
    coolcool1227 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010

Dear Cris

The link for the above said tool is dead, Kindly send the link at "omernauman_2009@yahoo.com"

Thanks in advance

Regards

Omer

• Looking at the BDC documentation page:

http://www.bitdefender.com.au/KB151-au--Vi...and-prompt.html

I notice that at the bottom it states:

Operating systems:

Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows XP

There is no mention of Windows 7. Is this a documentation oversight (could be since

many documentation pages make no mention of Win7 such as:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB28-en--How-to-...eekly.zip.html)

Is BDC supported in Win7 - has anyone tried it in Win7?

Thanks!

• The link for the above said tool is dead,

The above link works fine here. Please try again and let me know if you still have problems downloading it.

Looking at the BDC documentation page:

http://www.bitdefender.com.au/KB151-au--Vi...and-prompt.html

I notice that at the bottom it states:

Operating systems:

Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows XP

BDC is included in all BitDefender versions and works fine on all Operating Systems (including Vista and 7). As far as I can see, that article is very old (2005), which means it wasn't updated since before Vista was even released.

Also, the article about cumulative.zip is not meant for BitDefender 2010. For BD 2010 you can download the updates from here: http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/bitdefender_2010/

Get the EXE that you need (x86 or x64) and simply run it.

Cris.

• Anything new on this front? All of the aforementioned links are long gone. Anyone know where to find the command line scanner anymore? The new versions of BitDefender do not include bcd.exe.