Auto Renewal

I received an email from digitalriver mentioning autorenewal.

It says if you wish to cancel the subscription then go to the link provided and enter the supplied order number.

I did that and the order number cannot be found. How do I stop my subscription please?

Thanks

David

Comments

• I received an email from digitalriver mentioning autorenewal.

It says if you wish to cancel the subscription then go to the link provided and enter the supplied order number.

I did that and the order number cannot be found. How do I stop my subscription please?

Thanks

David

I finally got emailed a password which is obviously an auto generated one. Once logged on to digital river there is no "cancel subscription button". It appears as though when you subscribe, they automatically auto renew without your consent and prevent you from cancelling. What on earth is going on here? This is the biggest scam Ive seen! It appears Bitdefender is one big credit card virus!

• Hello,

This is from Digital River Customer Care page:

""How do I cancel the Auto-Renewal Service?

In most cases, you can cancel the Auto-Renew Service by first locating your most recent order and clicking the "Cancel" button on the order details page.

If you are having difficulty with this process, you can also contact Customer Service to request the cancellation of Auto-Renewal Service. ""

Regards!

• werby3
    edited February 2013

...in addition

Unfortunately, it's a common practice, for every kind of time limited licenses, having "Auto Renewal" enabled by default. Thus, we must be aware of this.

• Hello,

This is from Digital River Customer Care page:

""How do I cancel the Auto-Renewal Service?

In most cases, you can cancel the Auto-Renew Service by first locating your most recent order and clicking the "Cancel" button on the order details page.

If you are having difficulty with this process, you can also contact Customer Service to request the cancellation of Auto-Renewal Service. ""

Regards!

Thanks. I do not have a Cancel button on my order details. I have sent a message to customer care.

• Go to your order detail page after log in to digital river . You should get cancel auto renewal button.

• Go to your order detail page after log in to digital river . You should get cancel auto renewal button.

There is no cancel auto renewal button. I have sent a complaint to both digital river and bitdefender asking them for some response on how to cancel the auto renewal and they have not responded. They are truly digital thieves in my book.

• Go to Avangate, they handle the billing for Bitdefender. Sign up (its at the very top of the webpage) and you should be able to find all your software subscriptions including the Bitdefender one. Find auto renewal and unlick it. Done.

Note: I don't recall how they tie in a sign-up with subscriptions since I did it so long ago. My guess is via the email address you provided when you purchased a software license that they were the billing entity for.

• Note: I don't recall how they tie in a sign-up with subscriptions since I did it so long ago. My guess is via the email address you provided when you purchased a software license that they were the billing entity for.

On May 25 2012 I contacted BD and raised my concerns about the method BD was using to obtain their customers authorisation allowing BD the right to bill people for future license fees.

The following is the text I sent them;

"...in order to proceed with [the] online purchase I was required to select a checkbox which gave Bitdefender the authority to automatically charge me a further license fee each time my license expired.

My concern is that the check box and its associated text looked remarkably similar to the usual terms and conditions/license agreement mechanism we are all so familiar with.

I appreciate the similarity between the compulsory auto license renewals and the normal terms and conditions text and checkbox is accidental. However, I do wonder how many people have thought they were accepting the software's terms and conditions and actually unwittingly authorized future automatic payments to Bitdefender."

I received this response:

"As you noticed, the automatic renewal option is not mandatory and can be canceled during the purchase process or later through the online store interface from Digital River."

I think the significant points are;

1) In order to proceed with the software instillation customers must authorise license auto-renewal.

2) BD had designed the compulsory select check box and associated text in such a way that it looks strikingly similar to the usual terms and conditions pages.

3) Those customers who didn't read the associated text would not be aware that they would need to search for the method to rescind the auto-renewal authority from BD.

What do you think of this?

Take care.

• Hi,

It is more than obvious that this is an unacceptable commercial trick and is like stealing.

There must be a law which forces companies to make it very clear before purchasing.

Companies that use this policy, mention about billing accounts in confirmation mails where among others this is a little bit invisible (again a trick).

On the other hand, we must be aware of this because this is an almost common practice on purchasing time-limited products(licenses).

Finally, a company must respect its clients (and BD doesn't, on any level) for its own benefit. Unfortunately, they cannot understand that.

Regards

• gordieranger
    edited September 2013
    There is no cancel auto renewal button. I have sent a complaint to both digital river and bitdefender asking them for some response on how to cancel the auto renewal and they have not responded. They are truly digital thieves in my book.
  • gordieranger
    edited September 2013
    Go to Avangate, they handle the billing for Bitdefender. Sign up (its at the very top of the webpage) and you should be able to find all your software subscriptions including the Bitdefender one. Find auto renewal and unlick it. Done.

Note: I don't recall how they tie in a sign-up with subscriptions since I did it so long ago. My guess is via the email address you provided when you purchased a software license that they were the billing entity for.

Thank you for that, easier than I thought and far easier than trying to deal with Bitdefender customer support. When I tried that I got email asking me to justify my reasons for not wanting auto-renewal and they didn't actually do anything about my request.

• busterbuddy
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for that, easier than I thought and far easier than trying to deal with Bitdefender customer support. When I tried that I got email asking me to justify my reasons for not wanting auto-renewal and they didn't actually do anything about my request.

Avangate has a brach in the US:

North America - Corporate: Redwood Shores, CA

More importantly Avangate conducts its US business through a sever located in the US.

They are therefore subject to the Jurisdidtion of US Federal Government Agencies. A complaint to the Federal Trade Commission might work wonders in getting your issue resolved in your favor. They are always interested in deceptive and unfair and unethical business practices,particularly those involving internet sales.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Getti...=%23%26panel1-6

• busterbuddy
    edited September 2013

The auto renewal business is either a scam or Avangate assumes it's customers are infants. If the justification is that they are concerned that BD's customers will forget that the license is only for a year the same purpose could be accomplished by a series of reminder emails as the end date approaches.

There are only two lawful business practices resembling the Software Companies' auto renewal scam: 1) Auto-prescription refills that you can cancel at any time and which does not commit you to actually picking up the refill and which you specifically request; and 2)Self-Renewing land or apartment/home leases that require the tenant to notify the landlord typically 30-60 days in advance if they intend to not renew their leases -- the purpose of which is to allow the land lord sufficient time to find a new tenant.

There is absolutely no legitimate business purpose in self-renewing software licenses. The default should be no auto renewal with a customer choice to specifically request an auto renewal. Auto renewal only serves to snag money from unaware customers. And I have heard too many complaints on this forum alone specifically about Avangate's non-responsiveness to requests to cancel auto renewal. My personal experience with other companies in cancelling auto renewal has been positive -- easy,fast,with immediate confirmation.

I purchased my BD license from a totally independent reseller and there was not as much as one word even hinting at an auto renewal. I am an attorney/pr spe######t in Washington D.C. and if it should come that I get a bill from Avangate for an auto-renewal I can assure you that will be the most expensive attempt at an auto renewal that Avangate has ever made. Matters of principle are Holy Wars and are never settled out of court.

Why does bd have c--i--a--l--i--s blocked from its forum?

LOL Oh its the name of a ###### to help the impotent LMAO

I guess you cant say d--r--u---g either ---- too funny. I thought this forum was filled with internet security spe######ts.

• antikythera
    edited September 2013

actually it is increasingly common. Part of the reason I switched from the other Company was because of auto-renewal deselection not working. I took great exception also to the activation code ticking down from the second the payment went through. I got my money back very swiftly after sending them a statement I would destroy the license code and not attempt to use it. So yes it is wrong. You can actually go to your avangate account page and opt out of the auto-renewal apparently.

Forum filters are indeed funny beasts.

• Here´s my story: I knew there IS something like autorenewal and that I have to do something somewhen. After reading most of threads with subject auto renewal I tried myself. I logged in to www.findmyorder.com (I wouldn´t have found this myself, thanks to a poster in this forum). I logged in with my email and was able to see my bill. Behind there´s a link something like "manage abo", I clicked and was redirected to another login site. With the SAME email address I bought Bitdefender, and logged in to findmyorder and to mybitdefender it didn´t work, showing me "incorrect email address". Maybe because of the point between firstname.lastname@email.com??? The button "forgot password" opened a window with an error message from the server. A short email to the support solved the problem in less than a day.

But what make´s me angry is that you can order a new license directly on the bitdefender site by almost one click, then you are almost tricked into buying the renewal through this annoying popups (come on, it´s NOT a "service" to remind people THAT way). But it´s almost impossible to avoid auto renewal! First you have to KNOW they will take your money automatically, then you have to KNOW where to do something, than it has to WORK, if it doesn´t you have to contact the support and maybe, and really only maybe according to other posts, you stopped the auto renewal. This is NOT a service, it´s the try of robbing people and I´m almost sure it´s not legal in several countries (I´m from Germany). THIS IS A NOGO!! Because of this I´m done with Bitdefender. Testwinner or not.

• aaasssaaa
    edited December 2013

I want to delete my Avangate account and all my personal details (adress, payment details, etc.) from their system.

Please Help!