Make Application Only Use Secure Vpn And Not Local Network

Hi

I am looking at buying Bitdefender. But I have one critical thing it must be able to do.

When on for example hotel networks or other open networks, I want to make a rule for an app so that it only uses a secure VPN connection. If the VPN connections breaks I want the app to not be reachable from the local network or the internet.

I want to make a rule so the app only uses the VPN connection. It should be blocked from the unsecure local network when VPN is not in use or the connection breaks or even when the VPN is avtive.

To connect to the VPN server OpenVPN client is used. There is a range of IP adresses that is used with DHCP so a different address is given each time you connect. Can you make a rule based on a range of IP adresses as local address. Or is there some other way to set a rule to use a specific internet connection.

Can this be done in Bitdefender 2012?

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Welcome to our forums.

When you create a VPN connection under Windows, a new adapter will be created under Network Connection.

After this, you can set that VPN adapter as Trusted in Bitdefender Firewall and the other ones like Public.

After this, you can customize the rules under Application rules to function only for that adapter, the other ones will be rejected.

So basically, the product can do what you are asking, but you need to customize some default settings in the main interface.

Also, before you buy the product, please test it for free(30 days trial).

You have the installation steps here(please install Bitdefender Total Security 2012):

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=241&id=44

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.

• ctemby
    edited February 2014
    After this, you can customize the rules under Application rules to function only for that adapter, the other ones will be rejected.

Would you please advise how to customize the rules under Application rules. Thank you in advance.

[EDIT: No need to reply, found the solution outside the forum: http://bestinternetsecuritynow.com/force-t...pn-bitdefender/]