Bdis On W7 With Malwarebytes 2.0 Beta 3

I found a two year three PC license for BDIS on Amazon for $19.00 or thereabouts so I decided to purchase it and replace BD AV Free on my W7-SP1 computer with BDIS. I have a had a license for BD W8 Security for over a year and have it installed on my W8.1 computers. Works great.

Anyway the instllation of BDIS was a bit of pain to say the least. After uninstalling BD AV Free and MBAM 2.0.0.0504 (2.0 Beta 3) I set about installing BDIS. I then reinstalled MBAM 2.0.0.0504. Along the way I had to manually allow BDIS in the Windows 7 firefwall and set up the malware file scanning exceptions in both BDIS and MBAM 2.0.0.0504. Still BDIS was not working correctly. Twice more I uninstalled MBAM 2.0.0.0504 and ran two repairs of BDIS along with rebooting a couple of times.

To make a long story short after installing BDIS, running repair twice, uninstalling and reinstalling MBAM 2.0.0.0504 I can't remember how many times and rebooting maybe a dozen times both appear to now be working fine together.

Getting BDIS updates to work properly were particularly troublesome and even required a new Microsoft program to be downloaded; i.e., one that had not previously been installed on my W7 computer. Sorry I can't remember which Windows program it was. BDIS said I needed to install the update and I did however after doing so I had to again uninstall MBAM 2.0.0.0504 and reinstall it.

My suggestion is don't try and install BDIS and MBAM 2.0.0.0504 (MBAM 2.0 Beta 3) together unless you are at least a semi advanced user and have lots of patience.

BD AV Free and MBAM 2.0.0.0504 had no problems whatsoever co-existing.

How much of the problems I had getting both to work together were due to BDIS or MBAM Beta 3 I have no idea I did do a System Scan with BDIS and it picked up what appeared to be a PUP and quarantined it. BD AV Free did not do anything with it. The PUP was found in a free version of a software I am using. I also have a license for three computers of that program and it was not present in that programs folder path. It is possible that BD W8 Security had found it and deleted it but my guess after doing some research on the Net is that file is only present in the free version and could be there in case you purcahase the product and enter a license. Before deleting the file I checked BDIS quarantine and it said the file had not been uploaded for reveiw by BD. Why it was not uploaded I do not know. It could have been the W7 firewall. Anyway I will keep an eye on quarantined files going forward and if they don't upload for verification of a possible FP I will create a ticket.

cheers.

Hopefully BDIS and MBAM 2.0 Betas and RTM will conintue to work fine together as they appear to be now doing. :)

Comments

• My suggestion is don't try and install BDIS and MBAM 2.0.0.0504 (MBAM 2.0 Beta 3) together unless you are at least a semi advanced user and have lots of patience.

Hopefully BDIS and MBAM 2.0 Betas and RTM will conintue to work fine together as they appear to be now doing. :)

There are many here who rum MBAM Pro 1.7 and BD quite happily alongside each other, I gave the latest MBAM 2.0 beta a try a few days ago and found no problems with the two co-exiting. The main thing to do is to add MBAM to the exclusions in the BD GUI>Settings>Antivirus>Settings>Exclusions of BD (there are 4 .exe files to add from the beta) and add BD to the exclusions in MBAM.

Having said that I reverted to MBAM 1.7 as the beta was still using a lot of memory.

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited March 2014
    There are many here who rum MBAM Pro 1.7 and BD quite happily alongside each other, I gave the latest MBAM 2.0 beta a try a few days ago and found no problems with the two co-exiting. The main thing to do is to add MBAM to the exclusions in the BD GUI>Settings>Antivirus>Settings>Exclusions of BD (there are 4 .exe files to add from the beta) and add BD to the exclusions in MBAM.

Having said that I reverted to MBAM 1.7 as the beta was still using a lot of memory.

Good points about adding the exceptions.

You might be aware of the memory issue work around which can be found on their forum. Hopefully they will clear it up by the time MBAM 2.0 RTM is available.

Everything runnig fine this AM. Last night sometime after I finished using the W7 computer for he day BDIS found some malware in a temp file and deleted it. Lazy me I usuallly clean the temp files when I am finished using a computer for the day. Nice to know if I get lazy again BDIS is there to take care of it. :)

• I know this might be a long shot but have you tried the installation at safe mode and see if it makes a difference? smile2.png

A very long shot as there are no problems running the two together with the exceptions added, no need for installing anything in safe mode, I don't even see the advantage.

• My suggestion is don't try and install BDIS and MBAM 2.0.0.0504 (MBAM 2.0 Beta 3) together unless you are at least a semi advanced user and have lots of patience.

They have just released the first RC so I am going to download and give it a go, it should be fairly stable now. Fingers crossed. :D

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello guys,

We do not recommend you to use beta security solutions on your machines. These are designed only for testing environments and using them on your systems could cause instability or crashes.

Thank you in advance for understanding.

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.