File Blocked When It Should Be Quarantined; How To Unblock A File?

I assume that what happens with the Eicar test file will happen with other detections. So I created archive files of different types using 7-Zip, each containing only "Test.txt", which contained the Eicar text.

On-access scanning

When I open my test folder in Windows Explorer, on-access scanning blocks the ZIP file. Two problems:

1. My "Actions" option for on-access scanning is to quarantine files, not block them.

2. Once blocked, there appears to be no way to unblock the file. I looked at the security properties for the file, but it appears the same as all the other files.

Am I mistaken? If not, then why is this allowed to happen?

--> Bitdefender Internet Security 2014, Windows 7, 64 bit.

Comments

• error-id10t
    edited April 2014

For what it's worth, mine quarantine it which is what I've chosen.

As soon as I put the text into the file and save that file, the above action is taken.

I also created a ZIP file from an empty text file first. I then opened that up and modified the empty text file with the string - as soon as I did that, the same action was taken. I can then go into quarantine and "undo" and then exclude them if I wanted to.

BTW: I just re-read the other thread you had open. I was seeing similar behaviour as you previously but I don't see the same behaviour anymore as shown above. I don't know if it's due to updates.

• It has been a week since I posted this, and no response from the company. This issue and the others I brought up are unacceptable.

I am now giving up on Bitdefender and am moving on in my search for a security suite for myself, my family members, and my clients.

• It has been a week since I posted this, and no response from the company. This issue and the others I brought up are unacceptable.

I am now giving up on Bitdefender and am moving on in my search for a security suite for myself, my family members, and my clients.

You might want to open a support ticket

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

It looks like, to unblock the file, you must first add an exclusion for the zip folder then you will be able to open the zip folder, then add an exclusion for the executable.

It seems to block the opening of the zip file when there is an infection found. Once the zip folder is unblocked and opened and the executable scanned it is then quarantined.

I don't know why.

post-63102-1398904407_thumb.png

• Since I was testing a trial version, I couldn't open a support ticket. If someone tests the product, I guess they don't deserve any support.

I have moved on to another security suite product. So far I haven't had any issues with it.

I'm only back on this forum to stop forum notifications. I won't be back. Bye.

• Raul90
    edited May 2014
    Since I was testing a trial version, I couldn't open a support ticket. If someone tests the product, I guess they don't deserve any support.

I have moved on to another security suite product. So far I haven't had any issues with it.

I'm only back on this forum to stop forum notifications. I won't be back. Bye.

You can generate a standalone support tool log and send it to support at,

bdsupport@bitdefender.com

I tried it out and they have replied. I was having issues with accessing this forum and it is there where I found out that my IP was blocked way back 2010. It is only now that I have been able to join and post here. I'd like to share this information from Ms. Mirabela, Bitdefender Social Media Manager.

[how to GENERATE A STANDALONE SUPPORT TOOL LOG]

Save the Bitdefender_Supporttool tool to a location of your choice:

http://bitdefender.com/diagnostic

1. Double-click on the The_New_Bitdefender_SPT.exe file (if you are using Vista or Windows 7,

right-click on the The_New_Bitdefender_SPT.exe application file and select "Run as

Administrator")

2. Fill in the required information and press the "Next" button (make sure you use a valid email

address and include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering)

NOTE! If you want to reproduce the issue and enable additional logging you will have to

restart the computer and then use the Support Tool again after reproducing the issue to

complete the data gathering;

3. A file will be created on your desktop (BDSP_*); send it to us in reply to this email.