Bd Av+ At Boot Up

Noticed my PC a bit slow booting up so I disabled the four BD modules listed at start up. This shaved about 45 seconds from my boot up time. Is this normal operation for BD AV+?

Comments

• Noticed my PC a bit slow booting up so I disabled the four BD modules listed at start up. This shaved about 45 seconds from my boot up time. Is this normal operation for BD AV+?

What is you boot time? Do you get the "black screen" before going to the Welcome screen? I have Wallet turned-off in the GUI and turned-off in Autoruns>Logon,

Bitdefender Wallet Agent (c:\program files\bitdefender\bitdefender\pmbxag.exe)

Bitdefender Wallet Application Agent (c:\program files\bitdefender\bitdefender\antispam32\bdapppassmgr.exe)

I have posted here, http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=53268 post#16 with my boot time when I had BD AV 2014 Plus. Now am using BD IS 2014 but it seems that there is no improvement...

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    Which modules did you delete at start up? Those may be crucial. Just for users to double check this for you. smile2.png

Check your start up in msconfig, there are only 4 Bitdefender 2014 listed then you can let him know if they are crucial or not?

• wptski
    edited May 2014
    What is you boot time? Do you get the "black screen" before going to the Welcome screen? I have Wallet turned-off in the GUI and turned-off in Autoruns>Logon,

Bitdefender Wallet Agent (c:\program files\bitdefender\bitdefender\pmbxag.exe)

Bitdefender Wallet Application Agent (c:\program files\bitdefender\bitdefender\antispam32\bdapppassmgr.exe)

I have posted here, http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=53268 post#16 with my boot time when I had BD AV 2014 Plus. Now am using BD IS 2014 but it seems that there is no improvement...

I was going to ask how are timing your boot ups but I see your using a utility, what's the name of that Glary app?

I have the following from startup: bdappassmgr, pmbxag and pwbmanui running.

• I was going to ask how are timing your boot ups but I see your using a utility, what's the name of that Glary app?

I have the following from startup: bdappassmgr, pmbxag and pwbmanui running.

I had the Glary just not updated, 1 min, 18 sec. and I missed bdagent at start up.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

I have wallet turned on and although I get an average of about 10 seconds black screen boot time in not a problem.

post-175392-1399133257_thumb.jpg

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited May 2014
    Noticed my PC a bit slow booting up so I disabled the four BD modules listed at start up. This shaved about 45 seconds from my boot up time. Is this normal operation for BD AV+?

Some anti-malware programs are slow to boot up eg., SAS Pro and IMF Pro. It is possible that they are are scanning each other and also scanning BD or vice versa.

Note also, that depending on the order of the startup programs, this could slow down the bootup time.

BD may appear to be the culprit causing the longer bootup times because the bootup time noticeably improves without BD. However, BD may be doing some scanning of certain programs that have started after it or depending on what other anti-malware stuff you are running ipr they could be scanning BD when it loads if they load before BD. For eaample SAS Pro and IMF Pro are both slow to start up and slow to scan. So by fiddling with the startup order you might be able to reduce the boot time.

Having said that I don't think it would be wise from a security perspective to have BD start last in your list of startup programs.

• Some anti-malware programs are slow to boot up eg., SAS Pro and IMF Pro. It is possible that they are are scanning each other and also scanning BD or vice versa.

Note also, that depending on the order of the startup programs, this could slow down the bootup time.

BD may appear to be the culprit causing the longer bootup times because the bootup time noticeably improves without BD. However, BD may be doing some scanning of certain programs that have started after it or depending on what other anti-malware stuff you are running ipr they could be scanning BD when it loads if they load before BD. For eaample SAS Pro and IMF Pro are both slow to start up and slow to scan. So by fiddling with the startup order you might be able to reduce the boot time.

Having said that I don't think it would be wise from a security perspective to have BD start last in your list of startup programs.

I'm not using any other anti-malware programs.

• wptski
    edited May 2014

The Glary Utility for start up is showing multiple repeat entries for the Wallet for some reason but this doesn't appear with MSCONFIG!

• wptski
    edited May 2014
    The Glary Utility for start up is showing multiple repeat entries for the Wallet for some reason but this doesn't appear with MSCONFIG!

I removed the second Wallet entries, rebooted, gained only two seconds on boot up, MSCOFIG no longer shows the Wallet entries but Glary still shows one of each. I'm going to uncheck them with Glary.

• I removed the second Wallet entries, rebooted, gained only two seconds on boot up, MSCOFIG no longer shows the Wallet entries but Glary still shows one of each. I'm going to uncheck them with Glary.

Bingo!! That dropped my boot up time to 42 seconds. Makes one wonder about MSCONFIG......

• The Glary Utility for start up is showing multiple repeat entries for the Wallet for some reason but this doesn't appear with MSCONFIG!

Hate to clue you in but Glary is an anti-malware program. Look at its menu. It is pretty clear that Glary is an anti-malware program. You might want to brush up on what constitutes an anti-malware program. Anti-malware programs go way beyond AV programs. Just saying :)

Also it isn't limited to just anti-malware programs. Some programs have suspicious behavior. Also if you have files on CD with auto-play turned on that could, though I am not sure causing a scanning of them once the CD hardware is initinalized on reboot. The same situation could exist with a USB thumb drive.

• Bingo!! That dropped my boot up time to 42 seconds. Makes one wonder about MSCONFIG......

Last Pass is a good alternative to BD's Wallet.

I wouldn't recommend using MSCONFIG to mess around with or to rely on with respect to Start Up Progams. It is good as a second source. I have had a lot better luck tweaking Startup programs using Win Patrol Plus.

• Hate to clue you in but Glary is an anti-malware program. Look at its menu. It is pretty clear that Glary is an anti-malware program. You might want to brush up on what constitutes an anti-malware program. Anti-malware programs go way beyond AV programs. Just saying :)

Also it isn't limited to just anti-malware programs. Some programs have suspicious behavior. Also if you have files on CD with auto-play turned on that could, though I am not sure causing a scanning of them once the CD hardware is initinalized on reboot. The same situation could exist with a USB thumb drive.

Yeah, it has that option but I've never used it or consider it to be a "real" anti-malware program.

I see now that BD turns the Wallet entries back on although that didn't affect my quicker boot up time.

Any way to kill Wallet completely from BD as I don't use or need it? I don't see that option or haven't found it yet.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    Any way to kill Wallet completely from BD as I don't use or need it? I don't see that option or haven't found it yet.

There is a post here from Georgia suggesting using Autoruns software.

Basically, if you are not interested in using the Wallet you can switch to OFF this module from the Bitdefender interface and then disable these entries either from Task manager of with the help of Autoruns software, available for download here.

• There is a post here from Georgia suggesting using Autoruns software.

Where in BD is the switch to shut the Wallet off??

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited May 2014

In the GUI -

post-175392-1399169362_thumb.jpg

• In the GUI -

My Bad! I needed to scroll over to see the Wallet panel. :rolleyes:

• Wallet is turned OFF in the GUI, disabled Start Ups with Glary, boot up this morning, Start Ups gone from MSCONFIG but show enabled from Glary!

I tried that AutoRuns program but it doesn't even show the Wallet Start Up programs.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

I haven't tried Autoruns so can't help there. All three entries show in my Glary as ticked but they also report they are stopped (at the bottom).

post-175392-1399211969_thumb.jpg

• I haven't tried Autoruns so can't help there. All three entries show in my Glary as ticked but they also report they are stopped (at the bottom).

Hmm, mine shows that also. I also have two more groups of all three entries that are unchecked, do you have any? I guess that I could just delete them?

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

Yes, I had those duplicate entries and I just deleted them.

• Yes, I had those duplicate entries and I just deleted them.

I'll do the same then! I tried the above mentioned WinPatrol and it just shows the same as MSCONFIG or no Wallet entries.

• wptski
    edited May 2014
    I haven't tried Autoruns so can't help there. All three entries show in my Glary as ticked but they also report they are stopped (at the bottom).

Hmmm, it shows even "bdagent.exe" as stopped. Can that be correct? If you have Glary open, BD won't open or it's so slow to open that I didn't give it enough time to open.

Correction, BD won't open with double-click, need to right click and select "open".

• Hmmm, it shows even "bdagent.exe" as stopped. Can that be correct? If you have Glary open, BD won't open or it's so slow to open that I didn't give it enough time to open.

Correction, BD won't open with double-click, need to right click and select "open".

I used Glary for years but when I installed BD I stop using Glary because Bitdefender couldn't scan any of their files, saying they were password proteced. I haven't lost any sleep since uninstalling Glary.

I don't expect my comment will convince you to uninstall Glary, but I just thought I would pass along my expererience and concerns with it.

• If I may I posted here,

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=53268

and I am also using Glary Utilities (now Pro). Post 16, 17 and 19. Emsiosft HiJackFree also sees that there are AutoRuns running/enabled (image in post #19). There is a hidden entry there that I squared-in.

PeU70b3.png

hbufVdO.png

If I could ask it here, is there anyway that I could check if the wallet service is running eventhough it's disabled in AutoRuns. I seem to remember that in Process Hacker you can check a dll connected to an application if it is running...but I don't know for sure...

• I used Glary for years but when I installed BD I stop using Glary because Bitdefender couldn't scan any of their files, saying they were password proteced. I haven't lost any sleep since uninstalling Glary.

I don't expect my comment will convince you to uninstall Glary, but I just thought I would pass along my expererience and concerns with it.

I right-click on the Glary folder from my file manager app and it scans without skipping any files.

• wptski
    edited May 2014
    If I may I posted here,

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=53268

and I am also using Glary Utilities (now Pro). Post 16, 17 and 19. Emsiosft HiJackFree also sees that there are AutoRuns running/enabled (image in post #19). There is a hidden entry there that I squared-in.

PeU70b3.png

hbufVdO.png

If I could ask it here, is there anyway that I could check if the wallet service is running eventhough it's disabled in AutoRuns. I seem to remember that in Process Hacker you can check a dll connected to an application if it is running...but I don't know for sure...

Well since I turned off the Wallet in my GUI, Glary shows like yours also but I have faster boot-up time and MS Outlook opens quicker after a power up. I say that Wallet isn't running but what Glary shows confuses me as well.

• Well since I turned off the Wallet in my GUI, Glary shows like yours also but I have faster boot-up time and MS Outlook opens quicker after a power up. I say that Wallet isn't running but what Glary shows confuses me as well.

@wptski,

I believe Glary is showing what Emsisoft HijackFree is also detecting. Have you a way to determine if a process is still running in the background...?

qhUDUpk.png

• Raul90
    edited May 2014

This is my MSCONFIG. I also deleted some files there but some entries remained when I used AutoRuns. In AutoRuns the entries for the wallet service are still there but unchecked.

RIdq0pQ.jpg

ZZgUJF3.png

• This is my MSCONFIG. I also deleted some files there but some entries remained when I used AutoRuns. In AutoRuns the entries for the wallet service are still there but unchecked.

RIdq0pQ.jpg

ZZgUJF3.png

AutoRuns for me has no Wallet entries.

• Raul90
    edited May 2014

@wptski,

Can you post an image of your MSCONFIG and AutoRuns>Logon tab...?

I posted a question to BD support about it and they said to uncheck the BitDefender Wallet entries that I will find in AutoRuns>Everything.

Here was the reply,

.............make sure the Wallet is OFF on the Bitdefender interface, then run Autoruns, and untick the following entries from the 'Everything' tab: "Bitdefender Wallet Agent", "Bitdefender Wallet Application Agent",

Disabling it(unticking it) still shows the entries in the AutoRuns>Logon tab as seen in the image attached. The behavior seems to be behaving like BD support said,

....The product has its own protection mechanism and when a process is forced to stop functioning, the rest will try to fix it and re-start the initial stopped process. Also, the system has its way of fixing the corrupted files by downloading them from the server. This way, the product protect itself (if we can say so) from potential malware and from any tentative to delete, rename or stop processes.

Earlier I imaged(system image backup via Acronis) this partition and set it up in a vacant one(same pc) and uinstalled BD IS 2014 and installed BD AV 2014 Plus with Comodo Firewall ver7. These are the images that I got. The Wallet service is still seen in the Autoruns(Sysinternals). The MSCONFIG doesn't reflect it. Wallet service is disabled in the gui. Behavior is the same but this partition with BD AV 2014 Plus is more slower in boot time(this is an image backup of the BD IS 2014 partition I backed-up and recover to a vacant partition of the same pc).

BD AV 2014 with CIS 7 with Sysinternals Autoruns>Logon entries.

nNiszIp.png

Image showing Glary StartUp Manager entries

WmFANnV.png

Glary boot speed with BD AV 2014 and CIS 7

sfMTHqn.png

MSCONFIG of BD AV 2014 with CIS 7 partition

BS1hwfy.png

Emsisoft HJFree Autoruns>.Default entries of BD Wallet service

KsXXTwh.png

• @wptski,

Can you post an image of your MSCONFIG and AutoRuns>Logon tab...?

Here they are.

Glary_1.jpg

AR_1.jpg

• wptski
    edited May 2014
    Here they are.

Glary_1.jpg

AR_1.jpg

MSCONFIG from WinPatrol, looks better! Was too late to edit the above post. :rolleyes:

WP_1.jpg

• Hi wptski,

Thanks for the reply and images posted. Oh my you have quite a list of start-ups there. How does Glary measure your boot time speed?

This is the image of the BD Av 2014 + CIS7 partition boot speed. Earlier it was 54-57sec. Now it's 42sec from cold start. I will check out the other partition when I boot to it later and post it here.

xR6Kuzc.png

Be back later :)

• Hi wptski,

Thanks for the reply and images posted. Oh my you have quite a list of start-ups there. How does Glary measure your boot time speed?

This is the image of the BD Av 2014 + CIS7 partition boot speed. Earlier it was 54-57sec. Now it's 42sec from cold start. I will check out the other partition when I boot to it later and post it here.

Be back later :)

That's why I used WinPatrol to show it as the normal MSCONFIG window can't be enlarged to show all at one time.

It varies in the 40 second range from low to high. This morning it was 48 seconds.

• Raul90
    edited May 2014
    That's why I used WinPatrol to show it as the normal MSCONFIG window can't be enlarged to show all at one time.

It varies in the 40 second range from low to high. This morning it was 48 seconds.

Back here :) This is the image of the BD IS 2014 partition. That 57sec was the same from cold start earlier this day.

XSliTt0.png

I do not know if the behavior of "getting faster a bit each time" will be the same as you use BD longer. But in my first trial of both BD AV 2014 Plus and BD IS 2014 it was intermittent. It would be up and down if I will graph it. It would change whenever there is a product update. The shutdown too was getting slower..How is the trend in yours?

On the performance, the BD AV partition with CIS seems to be faster to respond when opening programs and apps unlike the BD IS partition which seemed slower. Just launching the browser takes a lull of either 1.5-2.5 to around 3sec(approximately).

• I wasn't monitoring it that closely but my first boot of the day, everything was so slow, I got to the point where I boot up and back to finish making a cup of coffee to give it more time. On the other hand giving it too much time, I'm guessing that it may be this idle process scanning.

I've tried to see what all the disk activity is but the process monitor won't even open during this slow period.

• I wasn't monitoring it that closely but my first boot of the day, everything was so slow, I got to the point where I boot up and back to finish making a cup of coffee to give it more time. On the other hand giving it too much time, I'm guessing that it may be this idle process scanning.

I've tried to see what all the disk activity is but the process monitor won't even open during this slow period.

True! I too experienced that. You really cant do anything until the slow boot is finished...can launch explorer but it doesn't display anything until it subsides. This is the image of the boot speed of BD IS 2014 partition just earlier.

AjFlN16.png

I think I'll graph this one so I can see what trend I am having.....

• Here is another data that I got from the partition with BD AV 2014 Plus and CIS 7. Boot speed varies. Both were recorded after updating and after reboot.

TIM1XyS.png

• I shut off Idle Scan last night. Booted up this morning, put in sleep mode for a bit, turned Idle Scan back on because I got slowness with lots of disc activity anyway, opened Glary which was very slow to open and it showed 00:01:04. First time that high since shutting the Wallet off.

• I shut off Idle Scan last night. Booted up this morning, put in sleep mode for a bit, turned Idle Scan back on because I got slowness with lots of disc activity anyway, opened Glary which was very slow to open and it showed 00:01:04. First time that high since shutting the Wallet off.

I shut down, rebooted and got 00:00:42 so it was slower to boot up with Idle Scan OFF.

• The newest version of Glary I installed today is a bit different for Start Ups as it showed the Wallet as still Enabled in list and details. I shut them off in the list so we shall see if that changes anything at all.

• The newest version of Glary I installed today is a bit different for Start Ups as it showed the Wallet as still Enabled in list and details. I shut them off in the list so we shall see if that changes anything at all.

After a reboot, they show the Wallet again enabled with three more duplicate entries. Strange, kind-of makes you wonder if the Wallet is really enabled or disabled?

• Hi wptski,

These are the images of the boot speed for the past days. This is for the partition with BD AV 2014 Plus and CIS ver7. On the partition with BD IS 2014, I am getting a blackscreen if I leave the pc unused for a couple of minutes. Screen turns black and then you can't do anything but to reset it via the reset switch of the desktop. On several occassions also the right-click to launch the BD IS gui does not give me anything after that blackscreen again. Most of the time it takes too long for the BD to show "PROTECTED: No issues are affecting the security status..etc..etc..".

I have some issues also with the firewall which I have posted in the firewall subforum but it seems that of all the posts I am participating or have started, this thread is now the only one having replies. Thanks dude.

I guess if my issues with the firewall aren't resolved I will shelved BD IS 2014 and go and use KIS. This partition with BD AV 2014 Plus and CIS ver7 I will still hang-on as this seems looks promising as compared to the BD IS 2014 partition.

bHhmBep.png

uQPJwMq.png

2GV3bqr.png

Qjqa3bB.png

NlHxBo8.png

On the entries seen by Glary of the BD wallet service, I think the wallet service is still running but is somewhat hidden. Just as the images that I have posted with Emsisoft HiJack Free. There is a "hidden entry" there. Nobody here else confirms it. So I guess it seems to be running-hidden. Only Glary and Emsisoft HiJack Free sees the entries.

Have sent all the issues I have posted here to BD support already but they said to post it here. But it seems that there's only a hand few who make it a point to help out here. I see the all familiar ones only. Very very seldom from the devs.

:(

• One sure can't count on product reviews as BD got good marks. KIS? Ka$per$ky??

• One sure can't count on product reviews as BD got good marks. KIS? Ka$per$ky??

KIS. Yeah, Kaspersky Internet Security.

A while ago I got another lull and it took too long for BD IS to even show it's gui again and then wham! Blackscreen again. Booting to the partition with the BD IS I would always get that blackscreen. It would disappear when I restarted the desktop via the reset button. So I decided to ditch BD IS 2014. Not getting the help I need for it. I retained the BD AV 2014 Plus with CIS 7.

• KIS. Yeah, Kaspersky Internet Security.

A while ago I got another lull and it took too long for BD IS to even show it's gui again and then wham! Blackscreen again. Booting to the partition with the BD IS I would always get that blackscreen. It would disappear when I restarted the desktop via the reset button. So I decided to ditch BD IS 2014. Not getting the help I need for it. I retained the BD AV 2014 Plus with CIS 7.

I haven't installed it yet but I downloaded the trial KAV.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello,

Please uninstall any other security solutions inclusing sanbox modules, scanners, etc

Even if you disable them from startup, the drivers and all the services will load in background.

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/removal...tware-1107.html

Thank you!

• The varying boot up times supplied by Glary I was beginning to believe was its fault! After four months of use I uninstalled BD AV+ and ran the BD removal tool too.

I was going to try Kaspersky but got the trial for Webroot AV SA also and tried it first. No more of that black screen during boot up, no more slow running apps, no more scans that take hours, Glary boot up time of 34 seconds being the longest so far and no more of times way over a minute. A much different philosophy on how scans should work, minutes not hours!

Didn't take me long to decide to purchase either and the Webroot community forum members pounce on your posted questions.

• The varying boot up times supplied by Glary I was beginning to believe was its fault! After four months of use I uninstalled BD AV+ and ran the BD removal tool too.

I was going to try Kaspersky but got the trial for Webroot AV SA also and tried it first. No more of that black screen during boot up, no more slow running apps, no more scans that take hours, Glary boot up time of 34 seconds being the longest so far and no more of times way over a minute. A much different philosophy on how scans should work, minutes not hours!

Didn't take me long to decide to purchase either and the Webroot community forum members pounce on your posted questions.

Hi wptski,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes actually the black screen was really when you use BD. I've tried with other set-ups with this same system and contents and never had the black screen and the boot speed delays. Incidentally to compare, I just upgraded to the latest Glary 5 and these are the images I got. Image shows what I was mentioning about a hidden entry that was only first detected by Emsisoft Hijack Free. Now with Glary 5 it's also there. To date only Glay 5 and Emsisoft HJFree see's it. Now it's hidden as mentioned by both Glary and Emsisoft HJFree...I do not know about the process itself which may still be running in stealth.

nq2MnzW.png

0qix7HH.png

Also below are the data of boot speed from the BDAV 2014 partiton with CIS7 and BD IS 2014. Boot speed data duration is 10 days from May 6th to 15th with "a/b" as data reading measured by Glary per day.

xFGs6kS.png

ePLryOj.png

This is the last of my trials and will be moving on to using KIS 2014(on the partition with BD IS 2014) and retain th BD AV 2014 partition with CIS7 until the months end. From there I'll be using NOD32 with CIS 7.

Regards :)