Red Systray Icon?!?

Frmg
edited July 2014 in General

During the beta phase the systray icon was known letter "B" in white.

Now in the final version the systray icon has a new icon in red color which is known to refer to errors or problems in any type of product.

Its hard to understand the logic of who is responsible for the graphical interface of the product, because the main screen of the product display the message "You are protected. This system is safe" in green color to show that it's all ok.

As everyone knows, it is practically a standard that some colors refer to proper operation and other colors refer to problems.

The change to a new layout similar to the Windows 8 Metro interface is causing me many problems and difficulties of use. I like and i'm open to changes and new developments since they show real improvement, especially in productivity and ease of use.

Several operations that I met with a few mouse clicks, for example, the events, now require more steps affecting the productivity of the product.

I miss the informational messages about what the purpose of buttons that do not have labels. I hope you understand, but it took me some time to understand the meaning of some icons of filters in the vulnerability scanning interface window.

In addition... Managing the firewall application rules merged with General Rules is confused and to make matters worse you can not size the window to avoid an infinite scroll. When there are situations of many applications will be very difficult to find applications that you want to manage.

The change to an interface with primary colors Especially with the absence of edges, contours and any finish on the buttons displayed in dark gray with alternating black and white, creates difficulties in use in some situations contrast with the desktop and making this Difficult to use the product in some situations that did not occur before.

Bitdefender developers need to adapt the operation of your products for the latest market releases for compatibility. I understand it and wish this, but it's not because Microsoft erred in its new metro interface that bitdefender need to follow the same strategy.

An interface designed for use in mobile devices such as tablets, smartphones and other requires simplicity and its choice is justified.

But products like Bitdefender Antivirus, Internet Security and Total Security are intended for personal computers might not have such a primary, simple interface and lacking information. Simplicity and cleanliness may well live with the display of information and appropriate instructions on the screen.

Thanks, and sorry by any english errors

Comments

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited July 2014
    During the beta phase the systray icon was known letter "B" in white.

Now in the final version the systray icon has a new icon in red color which is known to refer to errors or problems in any type of product.

Its hard to understand the logic of who is responsible for the graphical interface of the product, because the main screen of the product display the message "You are protected. This system is safe" in green color to show that it's all ok.

As everyone knows, it is practically a standard that some colors refer to proper operation and other colors refer to problems.

The change to a new layout similar to the Windows 8 Metro interface is causing me many problems and difficulties of use. I like and i'm open to changes and new developments since they show real improvement, especially in productivity and ease of use.

Several operations that I met with a few mouse clicks, for example, the events, now require more steps affecting the productivity of the product.

I miss the informational messages about what the purpose of buttons that do not have labels. I hope you understand, but it took me some time to understand the meaning of some icons of filters in the vulnerability scanning interface window.

In addition... Managing the firewall application rules merged with General Rules is confused and to make matters worse you can not size the window to avoid an infinite scroll. When there are situations of many applications will be very difficult to find applications that you want to manage.

The change to an interface with primary colors Especially with the absence of edges, contours and any finish on the buttons displayed in dark gray with alternating black and white, creates difficulties in use in some situations contrast with the desktop and making this Difficult to use the product in some situations that did not occur before.

Bitdefender developers need to adapt the operation of your products for the latest market releases for compatibility. I understand it and wish this, but it's not because Microsoft erred in its new metro interface that bitdefender need to follow the same strategy.

An interface designed for use in mobile devices such as tablets, smartphones and other requires simplicity and its choice is justified.

But products like Bitdefender Antivirus, Internet Security and Total Security are intended for personal computers might not have such a primary, simple interface and lacking information. Simplicity and cleanliness may well live with the display of information and appropriate instructions on the screen.

Thanks, and sorry by any english errors

You can look at the bottom of the "Security Widget". If there is an event that needs attention a number will show up for each event that needs attention. Some may not like the Security Widget which can be turned off in General Settings. However, for those that leave it showing it is a lot simpler than having to open the GUI to see if there is an event that needs a user response.

Af first I thought the Red icon was kind of weird but after a day or so I have gotten used it and think it looks kind of nice next to the blue Malwarebytes icon.

I thought the New Bitdefender GUI was ugly and looked like a Lego set. I like the design of the BD 2015 GUI better. Cleaner lines. Of course each to their own when it comes to designs.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

Hiya guys, I have to agree as a change in the red icon is not as noticeable (for me), well it is but when there is a problem the notification is not as clear as a black marker appears that only covers a part of the red tray icon (see attached).

As has been said, red is the danger attraction.

post-175392-1405102650.jpg

• Yeah! and i say more...

When a new release is released we hope upgrades, new resources, more performance, more productivity.

I cant understand why software developers are cutting software resources. They are cutting important functions, and much more... Like label informations in buttons, icons and links principally associated with GUI interface.

It's clearly a big pass back just to make their life more easy when developing.

New softwares need be better and make the life of users more easy offering more and better resources.

Sometimes less is not equal to better.

• busterbuddy
    edited July 2014

Red is a bright, warm color that evokes strong emotions.

Red is associated with love, warmth, and comfort.

White represents purity or innocence.

• The red icon is actually a throwback to previous (2011/2012?) versions, and personally, I prefer it as I didn't really like the white 'B'.

Not sure if changing it is possible, but the icon is located here, if anyone is interested: C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2015\skin\images\common\systray

• The red icon is actually a throwback to previous (2011/2012?) versions, and personally, I prefer it as I didn't really like the white 'B'.

Not sure if changing it is possible, but the icon is located here, if anyone is interested: C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2015\skin\images\common\systray

Thank you very much!!!

I will try replace the icon :D

• Hi,

I will try replace the icon

I do not think you're allowed to change anything in C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\

• My self I like the red, as stated above if there's an issue you'll know it.

• Hi,

I do not think you're allowed to change anything in C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\

Yeahp problem solved!!! =D

We cannot replace icons in normal windows mode.

We need be in Windows "safe mode" to replace the icons to old Bitdefender 2014

Now no more confused about "red systray icon" and everything is work right!!! =D

The correct patch is : C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2015\skin\images\common\systray

If anyone need the old bitdefender icons, just copy from old bitdefender version =D

• Hi,

You can not change the files in Bitdefender's program. It is not a matter of being able or not to do so. You do not have the permission of Bitdefender.

Bitdefender is not in open source

• Hi,

You can not change the files in Bitdefender's program. It is not a matter of being able or not to do so. You do not have the permission of Bitdefender.

Bitdefender is not in open source

The program's code isn't being changed at all, they are simply image files within its folder. I don't know about Romanian copyright laws, but with US laws, modifications for personal use that aren't used for breaking copyright protection (license cracks, etc) are fine. I really doubt that the devs would care about a few people changing an icon file, anyway.