Bis Goes Into Game Mode In Firefox

Herr
edited July 2014 in Profiles

BIS goes into game mode when I open sites that use flash in Firefox.

So whenever I open a twitch channel, Spotify, Pandora, watch content on CBS or BBC etc.. BIS always goes into game mode.

This does not apply when I`m using Chrome. When I open a twitch channel in Chrome the profile does not change, it stays on standard.

Now this is a problem for me because I use Firefox, I do not like Chrome and do not want to be forced to use Chrome because of this inconvenient.

Please take a look and fix this Firefox/profile thing.

Thank you.

Comments

• mr_stealth
    edited July 2014

Today BitDefender has decided that something running on my PC at startup is a game. Within seconds after restarting, it activates the Game profile.

All that is running at this point are utilities associated with hardware, and a few utilities/services.

Part of Asus' AI Suite (USB 3 Boost, VRM control, and temp monitor)

AMD's Catalyst driver

Intel Rapid Storage

Bluetooth Devices manager

The following were then closed, but the Game profile remained active. I assume these can be ruled out as the cause.

Asus AI Suite's UI/temp monitor (USB boost and some other control services always run)

Google Drive Sync

DisplayFusion

Logitech Gaming Software

The only other things running are services, most of which are associated with the previous hardware drivers/utilities, or other hardware devices. None of them should be getting confused with a game running. Aside from the list above, nothing running even has a UI or any visible component. They are silent background services.

I don't know how to find the cause, other than going through Services and the Task Manager shutting down or killing processes. That's certainly not a recommended or desirable way to go about it. My trial run of Profiles is over for now, as whatever is causing this issue, is not something I am going to remove just to use this new feature.

• BIS goes into game mode when I open sites that use flash in Firefox.

So whenever I open a twitch channel, Spotify, Pandora, watch content on CBS or BBC etc.. BIS always goes into game mode.

This does not apply when I`m using Chrome. When I open a twitch channel in Chrome the profile does not change, it stays on standard.

Now this is a problem for me because I use Firefox, I do not like Chrome and do not want to be forced to use Chrome because of this inconvenient.

Thank you.

When the change to game mode happens are you viewing fullscreen video? If so then it is by design I believe. It has always done it as far as I'm aware. So does Kaspersky's game mode. any full screen hardware accelerated action triggers game mode.

• Herr
    edited July 2014

Antikythera no they are not full screen. In fact, in some cases even with Firefox minimized(runing Spotify for example) it still enters game mode.

An easy fix would be if they were to also include Standard mode into Profiles so in my case for example just add Firefox to that profile.

Even if I would have to manualy add Spotify, BBC and all my frequently visited sites with flash content that would be acceptable for me because once again Firefox is my main browser, I do not want to switch to Chrome.

• I think, that the settings of profiles must be corrected.

For example, when Steam and/or Razer Game Booster run but I don't play any games IS or TS uses game profile. It's not necessary. IS or TS has to use standard profile.

Please, fix it.

I think, that the game profile must run when I play games.

• BIS 2015 changes to the Game profile when I open my mail client (eM Client).

Please Bitdefender, a mail client is not a game!

Is there a way to whitelist applications for the Profiles module?

• Herr
    edited July 2014

Please do not clutter my thread with your other Profiles related problems. Make a new thread specific to your problems regarding the poor implementation of them.

Bitdefender once again this is the problem I am having with Profile mode.

BIS goes into game mode when I open sites that use flash in Firefox.

Thank you.

• Please do not clutter my thread with your other Profiles related problems. Make a new thread specific to your problems regarding the poor implementation of them.

Bitdefender once again this is the problem I am having with Profile mode.

The other posts here are really the same problem you are having. BitDefender inappropriately detecting applications as games and activating the game profile. Your issue with Flash seems to show that it's more than just an issue with whatever executables are running, but that an individual plugin or feature (perhaps Flash's hardware acceleration implementation?) can be detected as a game. The more information we're able to give, the faster this issue can be fixed for everyone.

I think the start of my problem with game mode was Steam, even though it was persisting after Steam (and pretty much everything else) was closed. Others have already reported Steam as having the same problem, as well.

As for your issue specifically, some more info could be helpful. Firstly, which version of Flash do you have installed? You can see your version my right clicking on a video/etc that plays with Flash, then click the About option at the bottom of the list. The versions of Firefox and Windows you are using are also relevant.

I checked on my laptop(Vista 32b) with Firefox 31 and Flash 14.0.0.145 (the current version), and game mode would automatically activate when ever Flash was used. I tried disabling hardware acceleration in Flash, with no change in the game mode issue. Game mode also persists until Firefox is closed, not only for the duration Flash is in use.

It's also worth noting that Chrome does not use the installed version Flash (unless you force it to), it has its own version of the plugin which is automatically updated.

Given how often this problem is likely effecting you, it's probably best to just disable the profiles feature for now, if you haven't already.

• thegilpins
    edited July 2014

I found the profiles useful but confusing!

There seems to be a hierarchy, i.e. Standard -> Movie -> Work - > Game

So if I am in Movie and I start a Work app it moves to Work etc, but I would have expected the hierarchy to be Work before Movie. It does not make sense the other way around.

Also predefined programs are assigned to the profiles which cannot be changed. For example:

- Work has Outlook assigned, so I f run Outlook all day the PC is put in Work mode all day

- Game has Origin and Steam added, so if these auto start at Windows boot the PC is always in Game mode, even if I am not actually playing a game - surely this is a security risk????? I don't want to be in Game mode all day

Can something be done to remove predefined programs to profiles?

Thanks

• Hello,

The question should be: is "Profile" useful for me.

I answered "No" to the question so I disabled the tool "profile.

No problem.

• BIS 2015 changes to the Game profile when I open my mail client (eM Client).

Please Bitdefender, a mail client is not a game!

Is there a way to whitelist applications for the Profiles module?

I also use eM Client

Same issue

BDTS profile goes into Game Mode.

I am not concerned, provided that security is not at risk ?

• ballboy
    edited August 2014
    Same issue

BDTS profile goes into Game Mode.

I am not concerned, provided that security is not at risk ?

join the club... :(

• I am not concerned, provided that security is not at risk ?

I also have that problem.

Go into the GUI>Tools>Profiles and turn off the "Let Autopilot manage my profiles". It then stays in the Standard Profile, your security will not be at risk even if you don't use Profiles at all. :)

• I have the same problem,too

• hitchhiker
    edited August 2014

Same thing happens here.

I have NO games (zero) installed in my laptop. Also I do not usually play videos (last one was one month ago) or anything in fullscreen.

The only softwares running are Microsoft Excel and Google Chrome... and the Bitdefender changed to Game profile.

Then I closed all windows and BIS did not change the profile to Standard... so I disabled the automatic profiles for now, until this bug is fixed.

• Same thing happens here.

I have NO games (zero) installed in my laptop. Also I do not usually play videos (last one was one month ago) or anything in fullscreen.

The only softwares running are Microsoft Excel and Google Chrome... and the Bitdefender changed to Game profile.

Then I closed all windows and BIS did not change the profile to Standard... so I disabled the automatic profiles for now, until this bug is fixed.

Got this exact same problem on my PC no game software loading on startup yet its switching to game mode every boot, just started happening today for me, maybe something was updated that screwed things up =/

• Got this exact same problem on my PC no game software loading on startup yet its switching to game mode every boot, just started happening today for me, maybe something was updated that screwed things up =/

I have the same issue as well. 2014 worked pretty good for the "game mode" 2015 seems to want to just stay in game mode all of the time and puts it into that mode upon start up.

Crowley

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Please open up Bitdefender and click the Update button. Wait until the process ends and restart the PC. Then, test to have the latest build number: right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray -near the clock- and choose "About". You should see in the left upper side the build number: 18.13.0.1012

Please confirm first if the issues reported here with Game Mode persist with this build number.

Thank you, we are looking forward to your responses.

• enokabukka
    edited August 2014
    Please confirm first if the issues reported here with Game Mode persist with this build number.

BD Total Security 2015, build 18.13.0.1012, on a fresh installed Win 8.1 high-end PC.

Since I have installed BD suite, I have been experiencing similar iussues and more.

1) AMD Gaming Evolved, loaded on start up, trigs Autopilot / "Let Autopilot manage my profiles" game mode

2) Elder Scrolls Online: BD does not let you type nor click anything at the log-in screen (fullscreen mode at least) in game or in standard mode

BD Total Security 2014 works fine (auto game mode on).

Hope you can fix this feature soon.

Thanks in advance.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

Thank you for these details, Enok.

We will test AMD Gaming Evolved on our end and if it's indeed a bug will be fixed in a future product update.

As for Elder Scrolls Online and the inability to click nor type something at the log-in screen: did you pinpoint the culprit Bitdefender module for that? If you don't know how, here is a guide:

Bring up the Bitdefender interface and:

1. Click on Protection:

a) at the Antivirus module > turn off "On-Access scanning" and "Active Virus Control"

b ) at the Web Protection module > turn off the "Bitdefender Toolbar", "Search Advisor", "Scan SSL", "Protection against fraud", "Protection against phishing"

c) at the Vulnerability module > turn off "Vulnerability scan"

d) at the Firewall module > turn off the "Firewall"

e) at the Intrusion Detection module > turn off "Intrusion Detection System"

f) at the Antispam module > turn off "Antispam"

2. Click on Privacy:

a) at the Data Protection module > turn off "Data Protection"

b ) at the Wallet module > turn off "Wallet"

c) at the Parental Control module > turn off "Parental Control"

3. Click on Tools:

a) at the Profiles module > turn off "Profiles"

b ) at the Safebox module > turn off "Auto Sync"

Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

If the issue is solved by disabling all these Bitdefender modules, please try to enable just one at a time in order to find the culprit module.

Please let us know if disabling any of these modules solved the issue, and which of them it was.

• Hello all,

Please open up Bitdefender and click the Update button. Wait until the process ends and restart the PC. Then, test to have the latest build number: right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray -near the clock- and choose "About". You should see in the left upper side the build number: 18.13.0.1012

Thank you, we are looking forward to your responses.

Hi, I have the update 18.13.0.1012, but Bitdefender still goes into game mode if Steam, Origin & D3DOverrider are launched.

So this update has not fixed my issues with profiles.

Can you please provide us with any further information about what was fixed in version 18.13.0.1012?

Thanks

• I had this problem also (with Chrome Canary and several other 'work' related apps running). It now looks like it is fixed - with 18.13.0.1012 build that is currently running.

However I now have another issue with "profiles". :wacko: I have customized the "work" profile - and added all the key apps that are used when working from home & connected to the office. One of the settings I have 'deselected' - "Postpone background programs and maintenance tasks" will NOT stay deselected. It stays "saved" until I exit the Bitdefender window. When I reopen the BD window and check - it is again "selected"

post-85950-1408850202_thumb.jpg

• Got this exact same problem on my PC no game software loading on startup yet its switching to game mode every boot, just started happening today for me, maybe something was updated that screwed things up =/

This problem is now fixed for me with the latest patch 18.14.0.1088.

• I had this problem also (with Chrome Canary and several other 'work' related apps running). It now looks like it is fixed - with 18.13.0.1012 build that is currently running.

However I now have another issue with "profiles". :wacko: I have customized the "work" profile - and added all the key apps that are used when working from home & connected to the office. One of the settings I have 'deselected' - "Postpone background programs and maintenance tasks" will NOT stay deselected. It stays "saved" until I exit the Bitdefender window. When I reopen the BD window and check - it is again "selected"

Problem is back - started again yesterday after bring system out of "sleep" & updating to latest "Chrome Canary" build (not sure if problem started after waking up system or after the Canary update).

Just re-booted for BD build 18.14.0.1088 - still goes to "Game" mode with Auto Pilot turned on.

I have customized the Work profile to include the major apps (including Canary) that I use for work-at-home.

• @ thegilpins

Please see:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=221427

@ DementedCanuck

We couldn't replicate the issue on our end with Version 39.0.2145.4 canary (64-bit). What version do you have? Did you set a certain URL as home page for this browser?

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    [...] AMD Gaming Evolved, loaded on start up, trigs Autopilot / "Let Autopilot manage my profiles" game mode

We tested AMD Gaming Evolved on our end and it no longer triggers Game Profile. Could you please confirm that this issue is resolved on your end too? Thank you.