Ping Test

since installing BD2015 I am unable to run a simple ping test to any external site. Pinging localhost or any device on the local network is fine. Can anyone help me figure out how to enable this?

Comments

• There is a default firewall rule that blocks any inbound ICMP from remote locations. You'll have to set that rule to allow in order for ping/tracert commands to work for non-local addresses. Those rules are not shown by default, so you will also have to select the option (in the rules menu) to show the system rules.

You might not want to leave that set to allow permanently if you aren't behind a router, or are connecting to public networks.

This should probably be considered as a bug. While most firewalls are indeed configured by default to block inbound ICMP, they usually do not block inbound ICMP is that in response to outbound ICMP initiated on the PC. Having no option to use ICMP for diagnostic purposes without also allowing all unsolicited ICMP traffic would be a poor decision, and I doubt it is intended to function this way.

• There is a default firewall rule that blocks any inbound ICMP from remote locations. You'll have to set that rule to allow in order for ping/tracert commands to work for non-local addresses. Those rules are not shown by default, so you will also have to select the option (in the rules menu) to show the system rules.

You might not want to leave that set to allow permanently if you aren't behind a router, or are connecting to public networks.

This should probably be considered as a bug. While most firewalls are indeed configured by default to block inbound ICMP, they usually do not block inbound ICMP is that in response to outbound ICMP initiated on the PC. Having no option to use ICMP for diagnostic purposes without also allowing all unsolicited ICMP traffic would be a poor decision, and I doubt it is intended to function this way.

I had already changed this. It does not fix the issue. I have both ICMP and ICMP6 set to allow. Any other suggestions?
  • Hi. If you're positively sure that you already set ICMP to allow in BD, there's also another area where you could check. Try disabling Windows Firewall. From my experience, they block ICMP packets by default. 1.gif

• Some ping responses are ok, others are definitely NOT ok. Each possible ICMP response should have an Allow/Disallow option.

I use Cygwin (a lot), and every cygwin app that does networking gets blocked or "messed with" by the BitDefender firewall. It causes jitter in the realtime packet streams.

I would like to be able to specify that nothing in the Cygwin directory gets affected whatsoever. I was able to do this with Comodo. No scans, no interrupt hooks, nothing. There are hundreds of applicatiions that will be used from time to time and I sure don't want to waste my time setting up rules for them all. Indeed, since some of the app names are variable, created on the fly by other processes, kicked off by timers, it would be impossible to predict them, and create a new rule for each.

Rules for Protocols that are not application specific would be a great addition.

So for now the firewall is OFF.

• Some ping responses are ok, others are definitely NOT ok. Each possible ICMP response should have an Allow/Disallow option.

I use Cygwin (a lot), and every cygwin app that does networking gets blocked or "messed with" by the BitDefender firewall. It causes jitter in the realtime packet streams.

I would like to be able to specify that nothing in the Cygwin directory gets affected whatsoever. I was able to do this with Comodo. No scans, no interrupt hooks, nothing. There are hundreds of applicatiions that will be used from time to time and I sure don't want to waste my time setting up rules for them all. Indeed, since some of the app names are variable, created on the fly by other processes, kicked off by timers, it would be impossible to predict them, and create a new rule for each.

Rules for Protocols that are not application specific would be a great addition.

So for now the firewall is OFF.

Hello

You can allow ICMP in. You have to go in Firewall parameters/rules and click on the small "show general rules".

I hope you understand, sorry for my small English.

Have a good day :)

• Hello

You can allow ICMP in. You have to go in Firewall parameters/rules and click on the small "show general rules".

I hope you understand, sorry for my small English.

Have a good day :)

Sorry for that post, I had not seen the whole conversation before typing it so forget it please.

@++