Bitdefender Photon

I have been having this really bad problem with my bitdefender TS 2015 system scan. since introduction of this infamed bitdefender photon tech i have not seen it work.... my scans take upto 4 hrs yet they should take like 20 mins. I am running windows 8 64 bit on my hp pavillion dv5 and i got 2GB RAM and a 500Gigs HDD thats half full. other than that i love the functionality and protection its offering.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: amazing mahn. No infections allowed AT ALL!! A nyone knows how to turn on this photon feature?? :huh:<_< <_<

Comments

• Hello DANNONYMOUS,

Photon is always on, no turning on or off, it takes a few scans to integrate itself and learn your system. Details here.. With 250GB to scan and only 2GB RAM it will take a little while for a full system scan but that time should improve considerably over time.

Which scan are you talking about, full or quick?

Ro.

• Thnx Ro...

When i said scan i meant full system scan. the quick scan works just fine and fast.... B)-_-

• Photon is an innovative non-intrusive Bitdefender technology, designed to minimize the performance impact of antivirus protection. By monitoring your PC’s activity in the background, it creates usage patterns

that help optimize booting and scanning processes.

Hi. That's the definition of it. By the way, speed of scanning depends on both CPU and processor of your computer. How much is the CPU? Duration of scan would also depend on the files that we have. 1.gif

• Thnx Ro...

When i said scan i meant full system scan. the quick scan works just fine and fast.... B)-_-

Yes, it depends on how often you have run a full scan, Photon adapts itself over time and the full scan gets quicker.

There is no real need to run a full scan more than once a month, I haven't run one for several months. The AVC will find anything coming onto your computer and the quick scan covers the important areas.

• THNX GUYZ I am running on a core 2 duo intel processor at clockspeeds of upto 2GHz at the moment. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: not the best but al be upgrading soon to I series say I7 and i think then i can make a decisive conclusion if its just my laptops props

:D;)-_- -_-

• I have been having this really bad problem with my bitdefender TS 2015 system scan. since introduction of this infamed bitdefender photon tech i have not seen it work.... my scans take upto 4 hrs yet they should take like 20 mins. I am running windows 8 64 bit on my hp pavillion dv5 and i got 2GB RAM and a 500Gigs HDD thats half full. other than that i love the functionality and protection its offering.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: amazing mahn. No infections allowed AT ALL!! A nyone knows how to turn on this photon feature?? :huh:<_< <_<

What would help matters on your notebook is if you double the amount of RAM at minimum. 2GB is just about okay for 32-bit W8. 64-bit windows 8 works much better with 4GB+. You would notice a heck of a difference. Less HDD pagefile dependency and fewer system bottlenecks. Photon works best once you have manually started a system scan. After it has learnt from that, subsequent scans are extremely quick.

Especially as Bitdefender has a large memory footprint at present. It caches the 300MB odd of malware databases and additional supporting program services into system RAM for better performance of Bitdefender. However, this happens at system startup regardless of whether or not a scan is initiated.

Example of my last installation on new self-build media centre PC at home - The first scan I ran after install on 27/09/2014 took 22 mins. 22 seconds. for 780037 files. Last one I ran on 11/10/2014 took 8 mins. 30 seconds even after loading on 38.8GB of iTunes media files in between.

Machine specifications aren't by any means high-end either but it serves it's purpose as a quiet, low power consumption media centre/casual usage PC just fine:

Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2H, AMD Athlon 5350 'Kabini' 2.05Ghz quad core APU, 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz DDR3, 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA-3 HDD, W7 Pro SP1 64-bit

• What would help matters on your notebook is if you double the amount of RAM at minimum. 2GB is just about okay for 32-bit W8. 64-bit windows 8 works much better with 4GB+. You would notice a heck of a difference. Less HDD pagefile dependency and fewer system bottlenecks. Photon works best once you have manually started a system scan. After it has learnt from that, subsequent scans are extremely quick.

Especially as Bitdefender has a large memory footprint at present. It caches the 300MB odd of malware databases and additional supporting program services into system RAM for better performance of Bitdefender. However, this happens at system startup regardless of whether or not a scan is initiated.

Example of my last installation on new self-build media centre PC at home - The first scan I ran after install on 27/09/2014 took 22 mins. 22 seconds. for 780037 files. Last one I ran on 11/10/2014 took 8 mins. 30 seconds even after loading on 38.8GB of iTunes media files in between.

Machine specifications aren't by any means high-end either but it serves it's purpose as a quiet, low power consumption media centre/casual usage PC just fine:

Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2H, AMD Athlon 5350 'Kabini' 2.05Ghz quad core APU, 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz DDR3, 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA-3 HDD, W7 Pro SP1 64-bit

I here you mahn but as you have pointed out it took like 8 mins to scan around 50Gigs of data(windows + software + muziq) and thus doing the math here i see that for my 250 Gigs of data it should take like 40Mins. now considering the system architectures and differences(8GB RAM vs 2GB :wacko: , Quad core vs CORE 2 DUO :unsure: , Windows 7 vs Windows 8 :rolleyes::P ) i would KICK IN ANOTHER like 1 and a half hours <_< <_< .

That will bring the total to samn like 2 and a half hours or so.... but still i get 4 hrs on my scans which are regular pasee... Samthing must be wrong somewhere.... may be its my software load...probably :o^_^ ^_^

• I here you mahn but as you have pointed out it took like 8 mins to scan around 50Gigs of data(windows + software + muziq) and thus doing the math here i see that for my 250 Gigs of data it should take like 40Mins. now considering the system architectures and differences(8GB RAM vs 2GB :wacko: , Quad core vs CORE 2 DUO :unsure: , Windows 7 vs Windows 8 :rolleyes::P ) i would KICK IN ANOTHER like 1 and a half hours <_< <_< .

That will bring the total to samn like 2 and a half hours or so.... but still i get 4 hrs on my scans which are regular pasee... Samthing must be wrong somewhere.... may be its my software load...probably :o^_^ ^_^

Do you have a lot of compressed rar or zip archives? those files seem to be re-scanned every time. also, if you use a third-party defrag program on a regular basis that modifies the access time stamp of files that can cause an antivirus program to think the contents need re-scanning.

• Do you have a lot of compressed rar or zip archives? those files seem to be re-scanned every time. also, if you use a third-party defrag program on a regular basis that modifies the access time stamp of files that can cause an antivirus program to think the contents need re-scanning.

Yeah i ges i use AVG tuneup utilities as my primary defragmenter.... like once a month. i have very few archives...only the ones stored by USB-FIX software from bitdefenders partners, and some archived pc game installers.

• Yeah i ges i use AVG tuneup utilities as my primary defragmenter.... like once a month. i have very few archives...only the ones stored by USB-FIX software from bitdefenders partners, and some archived pc game installers.

Manual defrag is unnecessary. Windows versions 7 and later do that automatically while the PC is idle.

Regarding the topic, the properties of the hard drive itself (seek time, rotation speed, transfer rate) can make a huge difference for intensive operations like a full scan.

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    I have been having this really bad problem with my bitdefender TS 2015 system scan. since introduction of this infamed bitdefender photon tech i have not seen it work.... my scans take upto 4 hrs yet they should take like 20 mins. I am running windows 8 64 bit on my hp pavillion dv5 and i got 2GB RAM and a 500Gigs HDD thats half full. other than that i love the functionality and protection its offering.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: amazing mahn. No infections allowed AT ALL!! A nyone knows how to turn on this photon feature?? :huh:<_< <_<

Hi...As far as this Photon technology goes, I can honestly say, that I have seen no improvements to the system scan time, or anything else in the 4 months or so that I have had BD 2015. I generally run a manual scan every week or two and it has remained pretty much constant in its duration. Sometimes a few minutes less, sometimes a few minutes more. Also the number of skipped files has remained fairly constant .

• Hi...As far as this Photon technology goes, I can honestly say, that I have seen no improvements to the system scan time, or anything else in the 4 months or so that I have had BD 2015. I generally run a manual scan every week or two and it has remained pretty much constant in its duration. Sometimes a few minutes less, sometimes a few minutes more. Also the number of skipped files has remained fairly constant .

Same thing for me no improvement in scan time but full scan doesn't cripple the computer.I can use it meanwhile.

The scan does take more than 4hours.

windows 7 , dual core processor 2.30 ghz , 4 go ram.

• hahaha who knew...turns out am not alone in this... :P :P -_- -_- BD guys gorra do samn about this

• Hi...As far as this Photon technology goes, I can honestly say, that I have seen no improvements to the system scan time, or anything else in the 4 months or so that I have had BD 2015. I generally run a manual scan every week or two and it has remained pretty much constant in its duration. Sometimes a few minutes less, sometimes a few minutes more. Also the number of skipped files has remained fairly constant .

Hi..OK, so today I run a manual full system scan. BD scans 1.4 million files in 31 minutes. This is twice as fast as any scan up til now.. Skipped files jump from some 50,000 to over 500,000. This is a really wierd coincidence.