How To Temporarily Disable Bd Ts 2015?

How can I disable bitdefender totalsecurity 2015 temporarily while installing some accounting software.

In prior year versions it was relatively straight forward, but can't see how I do it now.

Comments

• columbo
    columbo
    edited December 2014

Hi, Carol H :)

It sounds like you've been using Bidefender for awhile, so this is what you may have remembered from before: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=39510

The procedure is pretty much the same, just with a little different clicking and ticking path. Bitdefender cannot be totally shut down, as this is a self protect feature within itself.

• Open the BD main UI
    • Go to the Protection Panel and click to open.
    • Click on Antivirus tab with the settings "gear".
    • Turn off the On-access scanning option for the amount of time you think you'll need (you can always manually turn it back on)

My other thoughts that go beyond what Christian provided in the above link, is up to you, but you can:

• Go back to the Protection Settings page and turn off the Firewall.
    • On the BD main UI, click on the "Personal" icon on the top, and on the drop down menu, click on General Settings

and enable Paranoid Mode.

• Re-enable the Firewall, restart your PC, and you will possibly get some BD firewall pop ups to allow your software outbound communication, but again, this is up to you and your comfort zone, as far as these optional firewall considerations.

Hope this helped :)

Scott

edit: punctuation

• columbo
    columbo
    edited December 2014

edit: Just to clarify the below:

My other thoughts that go beyond what Christian provided in the above link, is up to you, but you can:

• Go back to the Protection Settings page and turn off the Firewall.
    • On the BD main UI, click on the "Personal" icon on the top, and on the drop down menu, click on General Settings

and enable Paranoid Mode. Install your software

• Re-enable the Firewall, restart your PC, and you will possibly get some BD firewall pop ups to allow your software outbound communication, but again, this is up to you and your comfort zone, as far as these optional firewall considerations.
  • Hello Carol H,

Have you thought about disabling Bitdefender at start-up? Go to the start-up tab (from task manager in Win 8 and run msconfig in Win 7) and disable Bitdefender. Restart your computer. When done, re-enable Bitdefender startup and reboot again.

Ro.

• Hello Carol H,

Have you thought about disabling Bitdefender at start-up? Go to the start-up tab (from task manager in Win 8 and run msconfig in Win 7) and disable Bitdefender. Restart your computer. When done, re-enable Bitdefender startup and reboot again.

Ro.

The only concern I would have with this, is that you may have no visual confirmation if something goes wrong during the software install. At least with BD running in partially disabled mode, you could catch at the time any errors or pop ups that could occur using it in running mode.

To have it totally shut down at start up, and then when BD restarts and there is an issue with the software install, you may not know about it unless you get a "too late" it's been blocked or disinfected in Events?

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited December 2014

Agreed Columbo, but doing it the way I suggested is no different to the "Bluestacks" saga where BD themselves recommended un-installing BD, downloading the program and then re-downloading the AV. If you are sure that the program you are downloading is reputable and as long as you make sure the AV is off for as short a time as possible, I can't see a problem - and it is a lot less painful than un-installing/re-installing. :)

Ro.

Edit: Can't spell!

• columbo
    columbo
    edited December 2014

This is good, a forum of back and forth exchange of ideas :) I'm sure we're keeping the AV on during the download which can be scanned before turning off the AV for the install.

lol, talk about spelling, I can do a fairly large text post without spelling errors, and at times do 2 sentences, and mess up my spelling. ("Your" missed the 1st time) http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=225347

edit: lol, hopefully Carol's accounting software is less of a install pain than Bluestacks ^_^

• Have you thought about disabling Bitdefender at start-up?

You will not succeed, basic services can not be disabled (vsserv.exe), the function of self-defense.

• You will not succeed, basic services can not be disabled (vsserv.exe), the function of self-defense.

Yep, you are right, I didn't check that but it certainly is still running ......... Oh well, the thought was there. :)