Bitdefender Install Cannot Deal With Remains Of Mcafee

Hi all,

I bought bitdefender total security instead of Mcafee for the fist time and installed it on the first 2 computers without a problem after uninstalling mcafee and running MCPR to clean the remains.

At the third one Mcaffe did ont want to uninstall completely and after running MCPR Bitdefender will not install.

It says: We have to delete previous antivirus programs. I click: go on, and....... nothing happens.

i have run MCPR multiple times. Each time it finds the same files and says it has removed them but still Bitdefender will not still install...

The helpdesk is a disaster. i have opened two tickets and still did not get a good solution and McAfee is also not very friendly ...

Any suggestions? (exept for buying an extra program to uninstall previous antivirus for €28,- ....)

Thanks

Gérard

post-185841-1416841145_thumb.jpg

Comments

• pcbugfixer
    pcbugfixer ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Hi all,

I bought bitdefender total security instead of Mcafee for the fist time and installed it on the first 2 computers without a problem after uninstalling mcafee and running MCPR to clean the remains.

At the third one Mcaffe did ont want to uninstall completely and after running MCPR Bitdefender will not install.

It says: We have to delete previous antivirus programs. I click: go on, and....... nothing happens.

i have run MCPR multiple times. Each time it finds the same files and says it has removed them but still Bitdefender will not still install...

The helpdesk is a disaster. i have opened two tickets and still did not get a good solution and McAfee is also not very friendly ...

Any suggestions? (exept for buying an extra program to uninstall previous antivirus for €28,- ....)

Thanks

Gérard

Download and run this removal tool (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/McAfee-Consumer-Product-Removal-Tool.shtml)

For other removal tools refer to this Url (http://www.softpedia.com/hubs/Removal-Tools/)

Whichever Removal Tool you use remember to re-boot before you try the BD installation again !!!

Regards

pcbugfixer :ph34r:

• Hi. Check the BD link below too as it all has the tools for antivirus removal. 1.gif

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/removal...tware-1107.html

• Hi. Check the BD link below too as it all has the tools for antivirus removal. 1.gif

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/removal...tware-1107.html

thanks but i tried that one of course.... Leads to the not working MCPR.

I will try PCbugfixerss tools today

Yesterday after 3 phonecalls with Mcaffee, Microsoft and Sony's helpdesks i was so fed up up it all that i installed the free AVG to have at least some protection and guess what: no problem!

So i really guess Bitdefender is the problem....

• pcbugfixer
    pcbugfixer ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

So i really guess Bitdefender is the problem....

G'day "gtam"

Having been involved, i.e. used, BD since 2001 and the 5 years before when it was AVX (AntiVirus eXpert) I have seen the development and quirks, faults and "Faux Pas" that have occurred much the same as any other Internet Security Utility application developed by anyone else.

The issue you are facing with installing BD can be attributed to several incompatibilities with any previous similar Applications you may have installed which may not have been un-installed correctly and still reside in the registry, which I have found to be the main problem when I have installed a BD product on a customers Workstation and on any Microsoft OS (Operating System).

Known incompatibilities that will prevent the installation are "Spybot Search & Destroy", "Adaware", "Mcaffee" just to mention a few. In some instances BD will offer to automatically un-install these, however as I mentioned before, if the previously installed was not correctly un-installed, then BD may not recognize the remnants of it and therefor not do this for you and you need to obtain the relevant manufacturers uninstall utility to help clean out the registry remnants before you need to re-boot, clean out the *Temp folder and *Cache (*Recommend CCleaner to do this for you, free version is good and click on this link to automatically download it for you) and then install the BD product of your choice.

BD btw is the No 1 product of it's type and has been for the last 3 years !!!

- Having said that, you must also remember that no Internet Security or Anti-Virus product from any Publisher of this type of application gives you 100% protection against any Computer related Parasite (Any type of Virus or intrusion) and it is possible to install others as a secondary scanner, ensuring that you disable the active resident protection function of them and only have One, i.e. BD as the active resident protection running as indicated in the System Tray of your OS, i.e. desktop workstation.

If you need further assistance, remember I can remotely connect to your PC anywhere on this Planet from my Office in Australia and could help you to troubleshoot the installation problem for you to the successfully install the BD.

- This is a "One Time Offer" to perform this for FREE !

- We would use TeamViewer for me to connect to your Desktop and speak on Skype while you will be able to observe every thing I do and can stop me at any time if you do not want be to do something.

- You need to PM me if you want to proceed with my offer.

- My Skype ID is "sspade" and you can send me an invitation to add you as a Contact.

Regards

pcbugfixer :ph34r:

• @ gtam : Do you still need help with this?

• Hi all,

Thanks

Gérard

Hi Gerard. I had same issue. Found out that McAfee left two services running and a directory for online backup(MOB) behind. Was unable to delete, so had to remove registry keys then reboot and manually delete anything on drive related to McAfee (search on name). Install finally ran to completion.

• Sorry - you'll need to disable the services first thing.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Found this e-mail ticket open by gtam (Gérard): 2014113017050001

According to it, the installation issue was resolved 3 months ago.

I declare this topic closed.

This discussion has been closed.