Restart Reminders Don't Stop

I am using Internet Security 2015 on Windows 8.1 Pro.

I keep getting this popup constantly (see attachment), like every hour or so for I don't know how many days:

"Reminder: You need to restart your system to complete the product update. Would you like to restart your computer now? [ Yes | Remind me later ]"

First: I rarely reboot my computer. I don't want my computer to be restarted unless it's absolutely essential for functionality. If I really need to restart, I really need to restart when it's convenient for me. One reminder popup is so more than enough. I got the message.

Second: popups are of the devil. If I am doing anything important and a popup appears I am going to turn green and smash the computer. You don't want me to get angry. So, this popup thing, you guys have a problem with that because I've had to complain about annoying popups in the past, specifically those offers to upgrade my already paid-for license. You really need like a supersoaker or a stack of cream pies or can of snakes in your meeting room for anyone who suggests a popup for any reason.

Third, I don't think this popup message is legitimate. I already restarted my computer today specifically to stop these messages and I've gotten this popup at least three times since then, but my UI is just reporting "YOU ARE PROTECTED: This system is safe". There is nothing in the UI that indicates a restart is required. If my computer is not protected because a restart is required, the tray icon and the UI should be telling me my system is not protected.

I'm not complaining because I got this popup three times, I'm complaining because I got it once after I already went to the trouble of restarting to stop these annoying popups and I'm busy and it's New Year's Eve.

While I'm at this, this isn't directly your popup, but on my office computer, sometimes when cloud security updates, Windows throws up a popup telling me I have no firewall. That's right Microsoft, I have no firewall, thanks for interrupting my work. And thank you Bitdefender for reminding me that I have to restart my computer every hour.

Thanks,

Tige

post-163805-1420113068_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Hi, Tige

Please confirm that Postpone Reboot was not accidentally set to "off", in which case you will get the reboot pop up. Go to the Personal settings icon at the top of the BD main UI, from the drop down arrow select General Settings/Update tab, and make sure that postpone reboot is checked on. (image below, mine is set to off, in which case I will receive the pop up notifications)

Your build# should be: 18.20.0.1429.

Otherwise, you can try running a repair, to see of that helps.

post-4566-1420120417_thumb.jpg

• Postpone reboot was and is checked.

Build was 18.19.0.1369 before repair, and is now 18.20.0.1429 after repair, which took a very long time.

So far no update reminders.

• Thanks for posting back with your results, Tige. Hopefully the repair with the correct build will enable BD to function properly, with no more pop ups.

• I have the same problem. A repair did not help.

If the option "postpone reboot" is turned off I get a popup with a checkbox "do not show this" (or something like that) which will just turn the postpone option on and then:

If the option "postpone reboot" is turned on I just get a different popup (on the bottom right of the screen instead of centered) annoying me in the same way.

Will this be fixed in a future patch?

• Hello toxan and welcome to the forum.

You can configure which status alerts you want to or not want to see -

GUI>dropdown>General Settings>Advanced>Configure status alerts>check or un-check as required.

post-175392-1428367809_thumb.jpg

• Hello toxan and welcome to the forum.

You can configure which status alerts you want to or not want to see -

GUI>dropdown>General Settings>Advanced>Configure status alerts>check or un-check as required.

Thanks, for answering! But those are all turned off and I think they have a different purpose anyway.

• FYI: I have disabled the automatic update completely and the popup still pops up every few hours?

Does anyone have an idea if this is fixable?

I only have a few weeks left for my license and I really think about looking for an alternative with less bugs...

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi toxan,

To further investigate the problem you are facing, please send an email to bitsy@bitdefender.com

Thank you!

• lve started getting this issue since upgrading to Total Internet Security, checked the logs and there is no reboot required in the update logs, l generally get at least one warning per boot normally 4/5hours after turning my laptop on.. it started three days ago (l upgraded last week due to a early renewal offer).

and l can confirm that l have postpone reboot active, even turned it off and on again just in case there was an issue with the setting.

(l have contacted support, but all they sent me was the link to the update help section and lve had no replies since l emailed back and told them that l had already looked and it said nothing about the setting postpone reboot not postponing reboot notifications).

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited September 2015
    lve started getting this issue since upgrading to Total Internet Security, checked the logs and there is no reboot required in the update logs, l generally get at least one warning per boot normally 4/5hours after turning my laptop on.. it started three days ago (l upgraded last week due to a early renewal offer).

and l can confirm that l have postpone reboot active, even turned it off and on again just in case there was an issue with the setting.

(l have contacted support, but all they sent me was the link to the update help section and lve had no replies since l emailed back and told them that l had already looked and it said nothing about the setting postpone reboot not postponing reboot notifications).

If you are using Malwarebytes Premium uninstall it before rebooting. Then resintall it afterwards. I don't know if that is your problem but I when I kept getting the constant reboot messages when I was using BDIS, now using BDTS, I found that by uninstalling MBAM Premium before the reboot worked. I never tried just turning off MBAM real time protection so that could also work.

I don't know if doing the above will solve your problem if you are using MBAM Premium but it worked for me

• l dont use malware bytes

• I have Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 and received the popup today. Personally, I don't mind getting the popup nearly as much as the fact that the popup doesn't say what product was installed!

• SOOOOOO BD you can go to with your restart BS! two days in a row your stupid program has decided it wanted to restart after downloading. AND TWICE!!!!!! you have cost me hours of typing and work due to the dam program restarting inadvertently while I am typing and I don't catch the popup and hit enter. there no way your program should over ride what I am  doing and become the MAIN screen! so right now I could throw this dam computer out the window!!!!!!!!!!!

• Pr0
    Pr0
    edited February 2017

This worked for me (Windows 10):

Control Panel / System Security / Power Options - Change what the power buttons do / Change settings that are currently unavailable - Disable "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"

PR

This discussion has been closed.