On-access Scanning Is Disabled, Can't Enable

brianp
edited May 2012 in Antivirus

Main Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 console says: "There are critical issues to fix"

View all issues shows 1 issue:

On-access scanning is disabled, Status: Not started

check the box, click start

I have restarted the computer multiple times, this doesn't fix the problem.

Windows also reports that bitdefender antivirus and antimalware are turned off.

edit:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

the log generated following the instructions from the above linked post creates a .zip file, and this forum doesn't allow .zip files to be uploaded - that's pretty ridiculous...

Comments

• Ticket ID: 201205151001951

This is the reply from bitdefender support representative Stefan Blajan:

After analyzing the information we received from you we concluded that there

are other security solutions or applications installed on your system, which

could conflict with Bitdefender:

- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Running multiple security solutions on the same PC may affect their proper

functionality as they compete for access to the same system resources. Even if

they are turned off, there are some active processes running in the

background.

We recommend you to uninstall other security solutions in order for

Bitdefender to work properly.

[How to remove Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from your computer]

• etc... contains instructions on how to remove

I would agree with this 'diagnosis' for fully installed malwarebytes, but this is the free version which does not run any background processes (AFAIK) and simply scans when you tell it to.

Regardless, as a way of simplifying the issue, I uninstalled the program and replied 3 days later with the following:

I uninstalled malwarebytes and restarted my computer several times. This did not resolve the issue.

the version of malwarebytes that was installed did not have active scanning, it's just the tool to run a scan when i launch the program and tell it to.

I installed a new primary hard drive (SSD) a week or so ago and installed bitdefender following a fresh windows install, so my system is rather clean.

I have reassigned the location of several system tags such as %ProgramFiles% to point to locations off of my primary hard drive, where bitdefender is installed. I would hope that this has no effect on how bitdefender operates, but it may be worth noting. Changing these is not an option as a long term solution.

File content indexing is also turned off for my primary drive.

It has been 4 days since my reply was sent, which included the ticket ID in the subject line of the email.

As an additional piece of information, I have never installed this license of bitdefender on any other machine or on this machine prior to the recent reformat - the installation is the first using this license key (assuming no one was able to pirate it prior to the time I received the boxed copy)

If my email reference was in any way unclear regarding the installation directory of bitdefender, it is installed on my primary drive - the same drive that windows is installed on. %ProgramFiles% points to a different drive.

Lacking a better theory, I would suspect that bitdefender is looking at "%ProgramFiles%\bitdefender\bitdefender 2012\" as its operating directory, rather than recording the actual directory of "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2012" that it was installed to. Thus, the proper file location is not being referenced to activate on-access scanning.

If bitdefender requires file content indexing as a drive/windows property for active scanning to work, then it's basically garbage for SSD users... I really hope this is not the case.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello Brian :)

My colleague Stefan will contact you via email regarding your ticket.

Thank you!

• Hello Brian :)

My colleague Stefan will contact you via email regarding your ticket.

Thank you!

Hi. Im also facing this issue. Even after restarting my laptop for a few times. And I do not have other antivirus at all. Thanks

• Having the same problem here. Using windows 8 and everything is updated. Windows action center recently started giving alert messages and bit defender console constantly gives me a "vulnerable" status. When I tried digging in to manually change the settings, I've been unable to activate this option. Please help!

This discussion has been closed.