Firewall Blocking Homegroup

BD 2015 firewall is blocking Homegroup access/joining. Certainly there must be an easy way for BD to recognize and enable Homegroup and LAN access, etc.

Comments

• jitzy
    jitzy ✭✭
    BD 2015 firewall is blocking Homegroup access/joining. Certainly there must be an easy way for BD to recognize and enable Homegroup and LAN access, etc.

u sure the dependancy services are all up and running ?

• BD 2015 firewall is blocking Homegroup access/joining. Certainly there must be an easy way for BD to recognize and enable Homegroup and LAN access, etc.

I have had this same issue for quite a while now, going back to BD 2013 editions. Even adding the IP address for all of the Homegroup computers as trusted helps a little, but not much. After doing that, one computer will not instantly see the other. It takes a minute or so for Homegroup to acknowledge the other computers.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

@ NWTRNR

Did you make these changes on all your computers running Bitdefender 2015?

- open Bitdefender program > Protection > click on Firewall > make sure the Firewall is turned ON.

- go to the Adapters tab > at "Network Type" select "Home/Office" > at "Stealth Mode" select "Off" > at "Generic" select "On".

- restart the computer and check the situation.

If you have already made these changes, please post back the steps you have already attempted so I can guide you further.

• @ NWTRNR

Did you make these changes on all your computers running Bitdefender 2015?

- open Bitdefender program > Protection > click on Firewall > make sure the Firewall is turned ON.

- go to the Adapters tab > at "Network Type" select "Home/Office" > at "Stealth Mode" select "Off" > at "Generic" select "On".

- restart the computer and check the situation.

If you have already made these changes, please post back the steps you have already attempted so I can guide you further.

I have the same problem with the firewall.

Most of the times I can not see the computer in my medialpayer.

Only a reboot from the pc works(sometimes) and when it works: after a while the computer is again not visible in the homegroup from the mediaplayer.

The setting are the same as in your post: home/office, off, on.

I even tried: block internet coonection sharing:off

block port scans in the network off

But nothing helps.

In Bitdefender 2014 it worked always good.

• BD has worked as a charm for me, been using it since 2012. But now I have the same problem, I tried the above solution but it still refuses to connect to my homegroup.

• Hello,

Is there a way I can get my Homegroup working or is this the best Bitdefender has to offer? I have done the steps suggested in a earlier message but it still does not work.

• Hello,

Is there a way I can get my Homegroup working or is this the best Bitdefender has to offer? I have done the steps suggested in a earlier message but it still does not work.

Hi Kazukomo,

Did you try this tip? (OK, it is the 2013 version... however it could help...)

homegroup fix BD 2013

Regards,

L.

:)

• I have also noticed a major change in the latest updates.

BitDefender FireWall is now blocking access to my Lenovo iX4-300D and my QNAM TS-451 NASs. They worked perfectly until recently (been on the road away for a few weeks and now they and not seen across the board in Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Pro and so on.

• Ah well I have given up. I have tried all the ideas suggested and still can't get homegroup and bitdefender to work together reliably. I have disabled bitdefender firewall and am now using the windows one. All works wonderfully well. When my sub runs out I will be looking at other products. Running bitdefender 2015 and windows 10. After all the years that this has been complained about, I would hove thought that it should have been fixed by now!

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

Can you please let me know if this workaround helps?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=112059

• Ichisuke
    edited August 2015

Why isn't there a patch/update already for this? I have one desktop and two laptops with total security and I'm not able to use homegroup. It works only if I uninstall bitdefender suite. Even if I turn off everything (I literally mean all the options) I cannot access the homegroup folders.

Why do I have to modify the registry or enable and associate the computers with homegroup and THEN install Bitdefender....? Those are just workaround...

• No way am I going to start poking around in the registry. You should also update your procedure - F8 does not work in windows 10!

As I said I will not be continuing to use Bitdefender.

• Same here! This is a recent change and should be fixed by an update from BD.

I get the LAN resources (NAS, shared printers etc) back if I I change the Network Type in the Adapters tab of the Firewall settings to "Trusted".

Is this an acceptable workaround? Does it open my system to vulnerabilities?

For now, I have disabled BD firewall and switched on Windows 7 firewall.

• Hmm. Seems to be working now. Even with the adapter set to Home/Office, stealth mode: on and generic: off

Build 18.23.0.1604

Signature 5919070

Engine 7.61947

I don't know if something was updated recently. I wish I had noted the version earlier (when it wasn't).

• Hmm. Seems to be working now. Even with the adapter set to Home/Office, stealth mode: on and generic: off

Build 18.23.0.1604

Signature 5919070

Engine 7.61947

I don't know if something was updated recently. I wish I had noted the version earlier (when it wasn't).

Hi.

Having read the posts here I decided to try and connect my printer to home network, wifi and cable without success. Then asked a family member to join network on their phone again without success.

There are 2 phones a tablet and a pc on home group working fine so it appears to be recent items that won't connect.

I will try disabling BD Firewall then attempt to connect the items mentioned in case your success is down to the items connecting while you were using Windows firewall

hitbit

• The problem is back. I have to set the adapter to trusted to access File and Printer shares.

I have recently updated my NIC driver (Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V) to default settings and rebooted. That might have affected this behavior...

Back to Windows Firewall .. (Hate to see AutoPilot unhappy :)

• Hi.

Having read the posts here I decided to try and connect my printer to home network, wifi and cable without success. Then asked a family member to join network on their phone again without success.

There are 2 phones a tablet and a pc on home group working fine so it appears to be recent items that won't connect.

I will try disabling BD Firewall then attempt to connect the items mentioned in case your success is down to the items connecting while you were using Windows firewall

hitbit

Tried as suggested here. Switched to Windows Firewall. Printer able to connect.

Switched back to Bitdefender Firewall. Printer unable to connect.

It would appear other posters are correct Bitdefender has a serious problem in relation to homegroup.

This could result in many current and potential customers being forced to opt for other manufacturers products.

This problem needs to be addressed immediately but I am concerned that Bitdefender are not acknowledging a problem exists. neither do they indicate that they are working to solve it.

hitbit

• I have had a similar issue with Bitdefender Firewall blocking access to printers - strangely the printers can SEND to the computers - stuff like scans and ink/toner levels - but the computers can't send documents to the printers.

This was on 2 PCs with Bitdefender installed. On 2 other PCs with Avast - no problems.

Turned off the Bitdefender Firewall and enabled the Windows Firewall and 'Bingo!' - the non-printing computers can now print!

Took 2 1/2 days to finally nail this.

Seems that for some reason, a change in router has caused Bitdefender to act aggressively. Before last week when I installed the new router, I had no problems.

Hopefully this will be of some help to others experiencing this kind of problem.

Zaph

• In the mean time, no one can shed any light on the implications of using the LAN in Trusted mode instead of Home/Office mode, as asked in

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=59324

• In the mean time, no one can shed any light on the implications of using the LAN in Trusted mode instead of Home/Office mode, as asked in

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=59324

I am trying to connect to my son's math homework website: www.bigideasmath.com and I get a message that the firewall may be blocking access. He is two weeks behind and I am going crazy! How can I solve this problem?

• Still having this problem with Bitdefender IS 2016. Bitdefender firewall prevents access to LAN resources even with Home/Office setting. Setting to Trusted or disabling firewall is the only way to workaround this. Strangely this only affects my laptop over WiFi. My desktop hooked up by ethernet connects to LAN resources just fine with the firewall set to Home/Office.

• these settings seemed to fix my issue: http://imgur.com/7Rhp4fA

• eli3902101 that worked for me and Bitdefender 2017 and three clients running Windows 7