Bd 2015 Free Installs But Does Nothing

I installed Bitdefender 2015 free on my Toshiba Qosimo X75-A7295 i7 4700M GTX770M 32G RAM

Win 8.1 64B

The install seems to go fins and finish.

But It does not do anything at all.

It shows up in system tray (Desktop Mode)

None of the options do anything except exit makes the icon go away.

About does nothing

Show Does Nothing Full Scan does not seem to do anything

Any ideas?

Comments

• Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is normally quiet and should appear to do nothing. It only notifies when there is a problem, e.g., a threat is detected, or after completing a Deep Sweep (a weekly auto scan). It should also notify the beginning of a requested scan, or the end of it. If a scan is in progress, there should be a small panel in its interface reporting its progress (the progress is shown as a change in the color of the panel's border). A small panel should also show to notify when there are quarantined threats. Events are reported in the LOGS, but it is easy to clear that list of events. Please note the LOGS will only show one entry for the last update, and it gets written over the previous entry for the last update, so it may appear to be out chronological of order. If a web page is blocked, you should see a warning on your web browser, but these events are not reported in the LOGS.

If you want to see the antivirus in action, try EICAR Anti-Malware Testfile: Create a new text file (any name), edit it with Notepad, and make its contents be exactly the following text (with no spaces or line returns):

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Then save it. It should be quarantined immediately.

• W8WCA
    W8WCA
    edited July 2015

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is normally quiet and should appear to do nothing. It only notifies when there is a problem, e.g., a threat is detected, or after completing a Deep Sweep (a weekly auto scan). It should also notify the beginning of a requested scan, or the end of it. If a scan is in progress, there should be a small panel in its interface reporting its progress (the progress is shown as a change in the color of the panel's border). A small panel should also show to notify when there are quarantined threats. Events are reported in the LOGS, but it is easy to clear that list of events. Please note the LOGS will only show one entry for the last update, and it gets written over the previous entry for the last update, so it may appear to be out chronological of order. If a web page is blocked, you should see a warning on your web browser, but these events are not reported in the LOGS.

If you want to see the antivirus in action, try EICAR Anti-Malware Testfile: Create a new text file (any name), edit it with Notepad, and make its contents be exactly the following text (with no spaces or line returns):

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Then save it. It should be quarantined immediately.

So the About in popup menu does not work? (RIght click the icon in system tray and select about = nothing happens.

No Small panel no nothing!

I find it hard to see that is normal - but I will check with this tonight

When I installed it on a XP machine it had a lot of ways I could tell it was working.

• So the About in popup menu does not work? (RIght click the icon in system tray and select about = nothing happens.

No Small panel no nothing!

I find it hard to see that is normal - but I will check with this tonight

When I installed it on a XP machine it had a lot of ways I could tell it was working.

"About" should show up in the the interface (see the attachment). If you are having problems, they may be due to software conflict, i.e., another anti-virus installed, or improperly removed, causes problems. Please make sure you have no other security solution installed (except for Windows Defender, which automatically turns off). For instance: if you installed (or updated) Adobe Flash Player, you have to make sure :ph34r: did not piggy back on it because of the default "yes" on its optional offer. If you are convinced there are no conflicts, try repairing the installation through Programs and Features in Windows Control Panel. If all fails, contact Bitdefender support.

post-175447-1435862485_thumb.png

• "About" should show up in the the interface (see the attachment). If you are having problems, they may be due to software conflict, i.e., another anti-virus installed, or improperly removed, causes problems. Please make sure you have no other security solution installed (except for Windows Defender, which automatically turns off). For instance: if you installed (or updated) Adobe Flash Player, you have to make sure :ph34r: did not piggy back on it because of the default "yes" on its optional offer. If you are convinced there are no conflicts, try repairing the installation through Programs and Features in Windows Control Panel. If all fails, contact Bitdefender support.

I have tried repair complete uninstall and using CCleaner after then re install too many times!

There is no check box about Flash in the install file I downloaded

I do not get ANYthing period.

I did contact support and pretty well got nothing.

I cannot believe others have not had this problem.

I give Up on Bitdefender I guess 8 (

• I have tried repair complete uninstall and using CCleaner after then re install too many times!

I do not get ANYthing period.

I did contact support and pretty well got nothing.

I cannot believe others have not had this problem.

I give Up on Bitdefender I guess 8 (

OK I did decide to send in a report .zip file made from their Report/log tool

will see what they say and report back.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

I believe graciliano was making the point that it is easy to inadvertently download something you don't want, that in the Flash download/update they have a checked box to also download another antivirus scanner, miss it and you have two security solutions on your computer which can cause problems. (We don't like to mention other AVs here ;) )

• I believe graciliano was making the point that it is easy to inadvertently download something you don't want, that in the Flash download/update they have a checked box to also download another antivirus scanner, miss it and you have two security solutions on your computer which can cause problems. (We don't like to mention other AVs here ;) )

ahhh thanks!

• ahhh thanks!

I really wanted this to work, but looks like it's not going to go.

The first .zip I sent them - told them this:

After analyzing the information we received from you we concluded that there are other security solutions or applications installed on your system, which could conflict with Bitdefender:

- Panda

- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

While I had No Antivirus running and had uninstalled them all, they must have had some "left-over parts"

So I went out and got uninstallers for them and did that - THEN I ran CCleaner to clean up registery and manually deleted any left folders.

Then I sent the latest log .zip file.

They did not respond except wanting a Screen Shot.

• W8WCA
    W8WCA
    edited July 2015
    I really wanted this to work, but looks like it's not going to go.

OK I reinstalled Bitdefender AFTER I stopped every service I could, and did it all again and sent this (worthless) screenshot

As stated clicking about (or anything from the popup menu) does nothing at all

I also redid the log .zip file with their tool and sent it.

post-191921-1436372511_thumb.png

• OK I reinstalled Bitdefender AFTER I stopped every service I could, and did it all again and sent this (worthless) screenshot

As stated clicking about (or anything from the popup menu) does nothing at all

I also redid the log .zip file with their tool and sent it.

I have seen reports of the interface not showing. Usually if you Exit the interface (from the tray icon) and restart it (from the desktop icon), the problem is gone. That had helped me the very few times the interface seemed slow. Yet it makes no sense you would need to do with any frequency. I remember seeing a very old thread describing a similar situation as yours. Somehow it appeared to be remedied by changing to a lower screen resolution. Since there had been a few version upgrades since that was a problem I would be very surprised if that was your case.

I yet suppose your Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is working. You can test that by trying to download EICAR Standard Anti-Virus Test File from this link and seeing the warning that the page is blocked by Bitdefender. Actually, this presents a worrisome situation since not having an interface will prevent you from removing from quarantine any false positive that may be detected, however unlikely that may be.