Update To Bitdefender 2016 And Ransomware Feature

Nesivos
Nesivos
edited August 2015 in Update

From what Bitdefender Support has told me the update to Bitdefender 2016 will probably be pushed through via the normal update and reboot process. Bitdefender 2015 is now on version 19.2.0.151. Bitdefender 2016 will be version 20.x.x.xxx

The update is scheduled to be released as I recall one week from today on August 29th. This post is a bit of a heads up especially if the update comes through the normal update process. Those who read this just need to check there version number of Bitdefender after a restart from within version 19 on August 29th or shortly thereafter. If Bitdefender says version 20.x.x.xxx it will be Bitdefender 2016.

One note about the new Ransomware feature. I don't know if it will come enabled by default or not. When enabled it blocks a lot of programs from running like VLC, Open Office unless you override the block. One can easily override the block. This can be done when a program like VLC loads or even when it tries to install. So if you recogonize and trust the program is not ransomware that the Ransomware feature wants to block you can easily say no to the block. If you do not recognize the program that the Ransomware feature wants to block you just let it block the program from loading or installing.

As I mentioned above the Ransomware feataure will also block program installers if they attempt to install and run from certain locations. You can just let it continue to block the program or installer and in theory it will prevent ransomware from installing on the your computer. If you make a mistake and want to unblock a program you can easily do that as the Ransomware feature provides a list of al blocked programs and you easily delete the program from the list of blocked programs. Next time you attempt to run the program or installer just say no when the Ransomware feature wants to block it. I don't recall if there is a whitelist option feture available that allow the manual additon of whitelisted programs.

Mods feel free to delete this post if you feel it is not appropriate.

Comments

• Bitdefender v.19 is Windows 10 only, previous OS still have v.18, (assuming the beta has not been installed).

Are you saying that the update will be pushed through automatically and there will be no option to choose when and if we want to make the change? That has not happened in the past as we have been given the choice of the free update.

• would it be lighter than 2015 in usage ram?

• Really, are they gonna push the upgrade process automatically without giving user a choice if he/she wants to or not??

That sounds more like Windpws 10 pushing automatic updates which created havoc in some systems

Isn't Bitdefender 2016 still in BETA phase?

TBH I prefer the old school upgrade process (uninstall previous Bitdefender Product and Install the new one).....It may be time consuming for some users but its safe and wont mess things up!!!

• I just got 2015 and I want to stay with it for a while at least. The 2016 version is still new and potentially buggy. Also, from what I've read so far, I'm leery of that ransomware feature although people are saying that it is turned off by default.

• I just got 2015 and I want to stay with it for a while at least. The 2016 version is still new and potentially buggy. Also, from what I've read so far, I'm leery of that ransomware feature although people are saying that it is turned off by default.

Hiya,

On both of my updates the ransomware module was turned off by default, but it is very easy to turn on/off from the GUI. :) I have both of mine off for now.

Ro.