Constantly Getting Port Scanned

Hi everyone!

Well I should start by saying that I'm not a very tech-savvy person but I was scrolling through my firewall log and noticed something that wasn't quite right...

I noticed that I keep getting a notification saying "Port scan blocked". I get up to 30 of these everyday (!!!), all from different remote IP (protocol TCP). After looking up some information on port scans I can say that I'm now officially freaking out!!

What should I do, can they be prevented, am I under some sort of attack??

Any help would be much appreciated!!! :unsure:

Comments

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited August 2015
    Hi everyone!

Well I should start by saying that I'm not a very tech-savvy person but I was scrolling through my firewall log and noticed something that wasn't quite right...

I noticed that I keep getting a notification saying "Port scan blocked". I get up to 30 of these everyday (!!!), all from different remote IP (protocol TCP). After looking up some information on port scans I can say that I'm now officially freaking out!!

What should I do, can they be prevented, am I under some sort of attack??

Any help would be much appreciated!!! :unsure:

Check to make sure Allow Remote Connections is turned off

If you are using Windows 10 click on the Notifications icon in the lower right part of the taskbar. It should bring up a half a dozen or more choices. Click on "All Settings". Type one word "Remote: in the "All Settings" search box. Click on "Allow Remote access to your computer" Then make sure "Allow Remote Assistance.." is not checked and Don't allow remote connections to this computer" is checked.

Prior to Windows 10 it was more complicated and I no longer use any Windows OS other than Windows 10 on my dsktop computes so I don't remember how to turn off "Allow Remote assistance and allow remote access to your computer" without using Local Services and I would not suggest a non-tech savy person mess with Local Services. Maybe someone else can help you.

If you find that both 'Allow Remote Assistance.." and "Allow remote access.." are turned off then post back with the details from at least two log Firewall log entries.

PS. One other thing. I run Windows 10 and ran W7 and W8 alongside BDTS 2015 with the Windows Firewall turned on. Some suggest you should not do this. You could try to turn the Windows Firewall off if it is on and on if it is off and see what what happens. To do that go to the Control Panel and type Firewall in the search box. As I recall you should be able to get to the Control Panel via the Start button in the lower left hand corner of the taskbar.

• Thank you so much for replying!!!!!! I have Windows 7 and tried turning the firewall on but got a notification about a port scan not long after... Regarding the "allow remote access..." I found a tutorial (probably sounds ridiculous) on how to go about it on win 7..

1 – Right-click on the Computer icon on your Desktop and then click Properties.

2 – Click Advanced system settings.

3 – Click the Remote tab.

4 – Uncheck the box beside Allow remote assistance connections to this computer.

5 – Click Ok.

I found the exact options you described. The "Allow remote assistance connections to this computer" was checked and so was the "Don't allow remote connections to this computer". I have to admit, I'm a little worried I might mess something up but I'm really tired of getting bom,barded....

BTW, how common is it to get port scanned, is there any amount that's considered "normal"?

Thank you again for replying and sorry for my bad english, it's not my first language...