Protection From Microsoft Needed.

Please, add protection from Microsoft spyware.

Windows 10 comes full of spyware, keyloggers, data robbery, unauthorized installation of software whose purpose is secret (it no more discloses the purpose of each "update"), hard to remove addware (xbox aps, bing apps, and other).

Even when privacy "choices" are full set to private, it keeps sending data to MS servers.

Windows 7 also needs protection. I had blocked Windows 7 Ultimate updates using the Policy Editor, and despite that, Microsoft installed telemetry "updates" akin to those of Widows 10, AND downloaded more than 6 Gb of Windows 10 installation files to my PC, AGAINST my will.

MS behaves exactly the same as any malware and spyware source, and deserve no more trust, so security suites need to protect the user against that.

So I ask Bitdefender to fill that niche.

Comments

• You're being a bit hyperbolic. Microsoft may be pushing it, but they are obviously more accountable--in theory, at least--than malware authors, who are only accountable if apprehended.

The only solution is to stop using Windows. Half measures will not cut it.

• Please, add protection from Microsoft spyware.

Windows 10 comes full of spyware, keyloggers, data robbery, unauthorized installation of software whose purpose is secret (it no more discloses the purpose of each "update"), hard to remove addware (xbox aps, bing apps, and other).

Even when privacy "choices" are full set to private, it keeps sending data to MS servers.

Windows 7 also needs protection. I had blocked Windows 7 Ultimate updates using the Policy Editor, and despite that, Microsoft installed telemetry "updates" akin to those of Widows 10, AND downloaded more than 6 Gb of Windows 10 installation files to my PC, AGAINST my will.

MS behaves exactly the same as any malware and spyware source, and deserve no more trust, so security suites need to protect the user against that.

There are operating systems for the paranoid. Linux. It also comes with Wine, in case you want to run Windows applications. You also have the choice of running windows under virtualisation in Linux as an alternative.

Bitdefender's job is not to block the Windows OS and make it unsafe from updating itself. It's meant to complement the OS in defending us against harm to the OS.

• You're being a bit hyperbolic. Microsoft may be pushing it, but they are obviously more accountable--in theory, at least--than malware authors, who are only accountable if apprehended.

Quite the contrary. Microsoft is the only malware maker totally over the law.

The small hacker is the one in trouble if apprehended.

• decodone
    edited September 2015
    Bitdefender's job is not to block the Windows OS and make it unsafe from updating itself. It's meant to complement the OS in defending us against harm to the OS.

Bitdefender's job is to give the user the control over what malware is installed an running. The most important feature is to give the user the right to avoid malware installation.

Telemetry is not a "security" update. Is malware.

An "app" installed out of control and consent of the user is not "security" upgrade. Quite the contrary.

Specially the apps that tie the user to MS services, which rob the user property, as stated in Windows EULA:

you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services

being "your content" -as written in the EULA contract-, anything uploaded by any software in your computer to Microsoft servers, explicitly including: voice recording and transcription, credentials and passwords "and similar" of any nature, anything you write (a keylogger), your files in private folders, and a long list, explicitly including "and other", which means no limitation at all, and also "the "content" "aside the ones you explicitly provide". .

• Have you tried logging into the desktop client using your facebook, microsoft and or gmail account? You have to give them all (including Bitdefender) access to anything (pictures, messages, sms, contacts etc) stored on those accounts! Now who is in control of malware?

Identity theft is the new currency.

• Bitdefender's job is to give the user the control

This. Just this. Should be, at least.

(As for the Win 7 telemetry "updates" and the Win 10 upgrade crap, so far they've generally been optional updates, and I check those first and avoided all of them. Worse issue seem to be the "important" updates to Windows Update, which seemed to have caused some issues already.

• I actually installed Win10 when it first came out and less than a week later uninstalled it because it was incompatible with a lot of my software. Getting rid of Windows 10 is a lot harder than installing it. I had to wipe out the hard drive completely.

The only solution I know is to get the free program GWX Control Panel (GWX=Get Windows 10) which will block Microsoft Updates from trying to sneak updates onto your computer. I have all updates turned off. Do a search for it since I'm new here and not sure if outside links are allowed.

• Or, perform automatic updating to a new build.

• Please, add protection from Microsoft spyware.

• More fixs and more updates correctives.

• I completely agree with the OP in every single thing he his said in every post he has made. I cannot even get rid of the "Get Windows 10" icon infesting my Task Bar.

I grant Micro$loth NO rights to use ANYTHING. AT. ALL.

EVER.

And installing ANYTHING. EVER. Without my specific permission and consent is the very definition of malware.

being unable to remove things is utterly unforgivable.

I have friends who tried it and for weeks they were constantly getting updates they did not want and were having dozens of GB of monthly download allowance stolen from them because it was "pre-downloading" stuff all over the shop for other people.