Very Slow Startup Of Bd Antivirus 2015

Hi all,

Have just upgraded from W7x64 to W10x64 and reinstalled Bitdefender Antivirus 2015 build 19.2.0.151.

With W7 BD would startup very quickly and the message "Bitdefender Awake" would appear in the bottom LHS of the screen.

Now with W10 the BD tray icon and the awake message takes several minutes to appear after the PC boot_s. While BD seems to be working OK, I'm worried why it's taking so long to startup and whether during this wait period the program is not protecting me.

Any ideas appreciated.

TIA

Greg

Comments

• Hi,

A bit more information:-

Looking in Task Manager I find that BD Security Service and BD Update Service run immediately at bootup, however it is the BD Agent (bdagent.exe) that is taking so long (minutes) to start.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Greg

• dch48
    edited September 2015
    Hi,

A bit more information:-

Looking in Task Manager I find that BD Security Service and BD Update Service run immediately at bootup, however it is the BD Agent (bdagent.exe) that is taking so long (minutes) to start.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Greg

I just installed Antivirus Plus 2015 and my bootup time increased almost a minute. It went from 82 seconds with Panda Free to 2:15 or 135 seconds now with BD. Is it because of boot time scanning going on? The time is from the push of the power button to when all startup items are loaded and the PC is fully usable.
  • I just installed Antivirus Plus 2015 and my bootup time increased almost a minute. It went from 82 seconds with Panda Free to 2:15 or 135 seconds now with BD. Is it because of boot time scanning going on? The time is from the push of the power button to when all startup items are loaded and the PC is fully usable.

It is not early boot scan that's the problem as this has been disabled. In fact boot time is very fast it is just the amount of time it is taking bdagent.exe to startup that is the problem.

TIA

Greg

• dch48
    edited September 2015
    It is not early boot scan that's the problem as this has been disabled. In fact boot time is very fast it is just the amount of time it is taking bdagent.exe to startup that is the problem.

TIA

Greg

I don't think boot scanning has been disabled. The option was checked in my product. I unchecked it and my boot time is now reduced by a full minute. Unless you're saying that you already had it disabled and still had slow boot. That I am not seeing. My boot is okay now but still a little slower than with Panda Free or Windows Defender. I can live with the extra 10-15 seconds to get the better protection.

I also did a defrag and optimization with Puran Defrag and I think that helped a lot.

• Something fishy going on with VSSERV. It does not start at system boot. I go into Services and see that it is set to Automatic Start (NOT Delayed Start), but it is not started. I then manually click Start and the service runs, apparently normally. This just began recently, perhaps the past 2 weeks. Perhaps a recent update, or perhaps a push to install 2016. This has got to be a known issue to the support staff.

Comments?

P.S. My system is clean, has been stable, and runs fine, except for this BD issue. Yesterday I did a more thorough cleanup and then a defrag in preparation of installing an SSD today. That SSD install went fine, the system performance has improved but VSSERV still does not start automatically.

• Something fishy going on with VSSERV. It does not start at system boot. I go into Services and see that it is set to Automatic Start (NOT Delayed Start), but it is not started. I then manually click Start and the service runs, apparently normally. This just began recently, perhaps the past 2 weeks. Perhaps a recent update, or perhaps a push to install 2016. This has got to be a known issue to the support staff.

Comments?

P.S. My system is clean, has been stable, and runs fine, except for this BD issue. Yesterday I did a more thorough cleanup and then a defrag in preparation of installing an SSD today. That SSD install went fine, the system performance has improved but VSSERV still does not start automatically.

I just checked and it works right for me.

• I just checked and it works right for me.
    .EXE

Yep, VSS is fine for me too! It is just the slow startup of BDAGENT.EXE that's the problem. I mean several (5-6) minutes be it starts.

Nobody else having this issue?

BTW - What starts BDAGENT.EXE, as it is not in the registry anywhere?

TIA

Greg

• Hi, Try this:

Go to C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2016 (substitute 2016 with whatever ver. you have) and make shortcuts for the executables bdwtxag.exe and bdagent.exe on your desktop. Then, move the shortcuts to the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder. Reboot and you should see a big difference in boot time.

Hope this helps,

Vicky

• Hi, Try this:

Go to C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2016 (substitute 2016 with whatever ver. you have) and make shortcuts for the executables bdwtxag.exe and bdagent.exe on your desktop. Then, move the shortcuts to the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder. Reboot and you should see a big difference in boot time.

Hope this helps,

Vicky

That was awesome VickyGal, I just did that and it resolves the problem!! Thank you so much