A Suggestion For Update Events

Mystery
edited December 2015 in Update

If I don't have internet access for the time being, widget shows Events of number of Failed Updates (I've experienced till 6) But after that, if it updates, please DON'T show those Event Numbers of Failed Updates in the widget. There's no need to look at, if I already have updated it again. It's quite annoying.

post-197364-1449417518_thumb.png

Comments

• I like to see the notifications, for example I have my profiles set for manual change on one of my computers and keep forgetting to change it out of game mode - it reminds me by telling me it is not updating.

Plus you can always just easily delete the notifications. :)

Ro.

• But If it is up-to-date, no reasons to notify previous failures. Is it?

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    But If it is up-to-date, no reasons to notify previous failures. Is it?

No, I guess not, but as you can view the log of the successful updates to see what was updated, and the unsuccessful ones to see the reason, they will log them all - same applies to any thing else in the events log (Scans, Firewall, Intrusion Detection, etc.), it's there for your information. :)

• But If it is up-to-date, no reasons to notify previous failures. Is it?

The reason for showing the information in events is because you had a software failure, i.e, it failed to update. By continuing to show an event number until you go in and delete it the app is reminding you to read the message associated with the failure. Now you may know the reason or you may not. It may have been a one off failure or systemic one. For example for people who expect to be connected to the internet all the time the message could tell you that you were not connected. This can be helpful in this situation.

Best to leave it as is and hopefully people read the message associated with the event and just don't delete it without reading it.

• Hi Mystery,

The behavior you report does not occur in Bitdefender 2016. Only in older Bitdefender products.

[Current behavior of Bitdefender 2016 products]

- When there is an update error caused by the lack of internet connection (e.g. all network adapters are disabled or the PC is not connect to a network) if there are no identical previous events Bitdefender 2016 will show an Update Error -1002.

- Next time the product tries to update, if it's the same scenario (no internet connection), Bitdefender will NOT generate another Update Error -1002 event.

- If you access Events and mark as read that event but the computer is still not connected to the internet when Bitdefender tries to update, it will only mark as unread the previous event (1002). It will not populate *N update 1002 events on your widget. You will have just one referring to this error.

• Mystery
    edited December 2015
    It will not populate *N update 1002 events on your widget.

It is. Widget shows 6 (or *N update 1002 events). When I hit BitDefender, value changes to 1 in the widget. If you want, I can record a video, starting of the next month.

I appreciate your response, BTW.

• It is. Widget shows 6 (or *N update 1002 events). When I hit BitDefender, value changes to 1 in the widget. If you want, I can record a video, starting of the next month.

I appreciate your response, BTW.

Maybe there is a communication, no pun intendeded, problem here.

If you see 6 in the widget and they are all the result of a 1002 event and then go to Events my guess is it will show only one 1002 event and not six.

The Widget just shows the count

Events shows the actual event.

This is different than a virus event. If you go a bad webpage and it is blocked Bitdefender will show a count of one in the widget and one event in the Events. If you go to the same webpage again without clearing the event the count will increment to two and you will see two events under Events, once for each time you visted the bad webpage.