Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Total Security 2016 - Anti Theft?

Hi,

Will the Anti-Theft features protect desktops as well or is it only available for notebooks?

I can't seem to get the functionality to work on my desktop machine on bitdefender central.

Thanks,

Ward.

Comments

• Hi,

Will the Anti-Theft features protect desktops as well or is it only available for notebooks?

I can't seem to get the functionality to work on my desktop machine on bitdefender central.

Thanks,

Ward.

Yes, it can work on desktops as well. What kind of issues are you having with it? I have noticed that if the desktop is using a wired LAN for its network/internet, the antitheft location will most likely be wrong as it will go the the local hub of the internet host.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016

@wardh First of all let us point out that Bitdefender Anti-Theft does not provide anti-malware protection. Bitdefender Anti-Theft only helps you be better prepared in case the device is stolen by allowing you to remotely locate or lock your computer and even wipe all data from it.

To use the Anti-Theft features, the following prerequisites must be met:

● The commands can only be sent from the Bitdefender Central account.

● The stolen computer must be connected to the Internet to receive the commands.

Anti-Theft features work the following way:

Locate (view your device's location on Google Maps)

The accuracy of the location depends on how Bitdefender is able to determine it. The location is determined to within tens of meters if Wi-Fi is enabled on that computer and there are wireless networks in its range. If the computer is connected to a wired LAN with no Wi-Fi based location available, the location will be determined based on the IP address, which is considerably less accurate - most of the times only the country is shown accurately, sometimes the city or region.

Lock (lock Windows and set a 4 digit PIN for unlocking it)

When you send the Lock command, the computer reboots and logging back into Windows is only possible after entering the PIN you have set.

Wipe (remove all data from your computer )

When you send the Wipe command, the computer reboots and the data on all hard drive partitions is erased. This also does a Windows format - the computer is left with no operating system, besides deleting all data stored on disks.

Therefore yes, Bitdefender Anti-Theft can be used for desktop computers as well - but be wary that unless the device is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi the localization won't be accurate.

• tomfete
    edited February 2016

I have experienced the same thing I read Georgia post and understood it but I have both wireless and wired devices and followed criteria to use anti theft locate feature but its not even close --off by 15 miles on all devices. Anything I can do over to improve accuracy?