Search Advisor + Google Chrome = Not Working

Hi There,

I'm looking for an antivirus solution and Bitdefender came to mind since I used the free version in the past. Needed some more so I decided to go for Anti-virus plus 2016. Installed the 30 day trail since yesterday.

There's however one thing that frustrates me, the Search Advisor doesn't seem to work in Google Chrome (I use version 44 and use the Google website to search). The first run, everything went well nice green icons. A few search actions later, the 'scan result' keeps 'loading'. A few search actions later, no loading/OK icon is showed whatsoever. Reboot doesn't work. I don't see any hints that Search Advisor is running since I now don't see any icon.

In incognito mode however, it semi works, but icon keeps 'loading'. Very very strange! I'm not running any (non-default) plugins in the browser. It's a fresh install.

In Edge and Firefox everyting seems to work just fine... I uninstalled/reinstalled Google Chrome. I also installed the 30 day trial on another computer, but it has the exact same issues with Chrome.

Is this a known issue? It seems to me like a failing api/plugin for this particular browser/version.. Pretty sad since I don't want to switch browsers but I do want a fully functional antivirus suite.

I've also used the trial from Kaspersky, but that one keeps making requests on every webpage and injects his own javascript (they say it's a feature not a bug). So won't be using that either ;)

Any solution please? By the way, I'm using Windows 10 64-bit with latest updates installed. Always keep my machines up-to-date.

Kind regards

Comments

• Hi There,

I'm looking for an antivirus solution and Bitdefender came to mind since I used the free version in the past. Needed some more so I decided to go for Anti-virus plus 2016. Installed the 30 day trail since yesterday.

There's however one thing that frustrates me, the Search Advisor doesn't seem to work in Google Chrome (I use version 44 and use the Google website to search). The first run, everything went well nice green icons. A few search actions later, the 'scan result' keeps 'loading'. A few search actions later, no loading/OK icon is showed whatsoever. Reboot doesn't work. I don't see any hints that Search Advisor is running since I now don't see any icon.

In incognito mode however, it semi works, but icon keeps 'loading'. Very very strange! I'm not running any (non-default) plugins in the browser. It's a fresh install.

In Edge and Firefox everyting seems to work just fine... I uninstalled/reinstalled Google Chrome. I also installed the 30 day trial on another computer, but it has the exact same issues with Chrome.

Is this a known issue? It seems to me like a failing api/plugin for this particular browser/version.. Pretty sad since I don't want to switch browsers but I do want a fully functional antivirus suite.

I've also used the trial from Kaspersky, but that one keeps making requests on every webpage and injects his own javascript (they say it's a feature not a bug). So won't be using that either ;)

Any solution please? By the way, I'm using Windows 10 64-bit with latest updates installed. Always keep my machines up-to-date.

Kind regards

• Hmm your point? :P

• Nobody? Not even Bitdefender support?

I'm still in my trial but I'm looking to buy a 2 year license for 3 PC's.

• Nobody? Not even Bitdefender support?

I'm still in my trial but I'm looking to buy a 2 year license for 3 PC's.

Well if it makes any difference to you, I'm having the same exact issue. The search engine ratings don't work for Google searches in Chrome, but they work with Bing in Chrome. As a result the tool is useless to me. I've emailed Bitdefender support three times - two times they didn't understand my issue and never heard back the third time.

So are you and I the only two having this issue? Or does no one else care?

• Try following,

In the address balk, enter "chrome://flags/" (without quotes)

Search "Experimental QUIC protocol" (without quotes) and disable it

Chrome needs to be restarted for the changes to take effect.

• Thanks for the suggestion, ryspredator, but it didn't fix it. It's only google searches in Chrome that are affected. Bing works fine. Mcafee Web Advisor works fine. Kaspersky's similar url rating tool works fine.

Try following,

• planet
    edited February 2016
    Try following,

This worked for me, disabling this made it work for Google results with Chrome again (it was already working for other search engines).

This is for the built-in search advisor, not the external Search Advisor extension available on the Chrome Web Store.

• This worked for me, disabling this made it work for Google results with Chrome again (it was already working for other search engines).

This is for the built-in search advisor, not the external Search Advisor extension available on the Chrome Web Store.

I was talking about the Chrome extension.

I started a separate thread, too, but no one has responded. Nor has Bitdefender tech support. I gave up and switched to another provider, anyhow, but thanks for the suggestion.

• I was talking about the Chrome extension.

I started a separate thread, too, but no one has responded. Nor has Bitdefender tech support. I gave up and switched to another provider, anyhow, but thanks for the suggestion.

I just tried this with the Chrome extension on a Mac and noticed I couldn't see it working after disabling the "Experimental QUIC protocol" too.

Turns out the extension works only if you start to search directly from google.com, but not from Chrome's bar.

Seems like the extension needs to be updated/fixed or something.

• I just tried this with the Chrome extension on a Mac and noticed I couldn't see it working after disabling the "Experimental QUIC protocol" too.

Turns out the extension works only if you start to search directly from google.com, but not from Chrome's bar.

Seems like the extension needs to be updated/fixed or something.

In my case, it doesn't work even when searching from google.com. But glad you see what I'm talking about.

• Try following,

This worked for me. Excellent. Thank you so much

• QUOTE (ryspredator @ Feb 13 2016, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try following,

This worked for me, disabling this made it work for Google results with Chrome again (it was already working for other search engines).

Excellent, this worked for me. I have the latest Google Chrome and your recommendation worked very well.

• Ryspredator:

Your advice worked for me and I thank you for coming up with the solution.

This discussion has been closed.