[Fixed] Network Traffic Causes Bitdefender To Use Excessive Cpu

OverlordQ
edited March 2016 in General

Whenever there is any sort of network traffic, bitdefender causes the computer to slow to a complete crawl. I've narrowed down the CPU usage to IGNIS.SYS, which googling reveals to belong to BitDefender. This behaviour has only started over the past week or so, before then everything was fine.

AV Signatures: 6120060

Engine: 7.64925

A79Pi9i.png

Comments

• Hi,

Same problem here since 1 week ago.

• That's related to ProductAgent which shows up as a different process. This shows up on System and System Interrupts.

• That's related to ProductAgent which shows up as a different process. This shows up on System and System Interrupts.

Sorry, you are right. I don't have this problem with Bitdefender services, but CPU is loaded to 50-70% when I download something from Firefox or Utorrent ...

• With this CPU usage Bitdefender IS 2016 get only 5 points in the latest dynamic test of AV-Test. Bitdefender always get 6 points in performance, since 2015 version...

• villa999
    edited March 2016

ProductAgent is a terrible program

after i uninstall bitdenfder

ProductAgent still running on background and upload or download something (6x mb)

• Again, this thread isn't about ProductAgent, if you have an issue, open your own thread.

• I also have this problem. It all started at the same time everyone else in this thread is describing. Hopefully they get it sorted soon, because I need YouTube to work on my computer at least as well as it does on my 4 year old phone.

• Also having this problem. It started after I restarted computer to update Bitdefender on Monday. Any kind of high network traffic causes excessive CPU usage.

Running Windows 10 Pro x64.

• i've the same issue from 2 weeks ago,when i try to download something,even if i refresh some webpage,my pc get too slow, even i've get mouse and sound lag. For now,i had to uninstall it,because it make my system too slow

• Also having this problem. It started after I restarted computer to update Bitdefender on Monday. Any kind of high network traffic causes excessive CPU usage.

Running Windows 10 Pro x64.

Yep, it was the update that needed a restart a couple of weeks ago that started it for me. I uninstalled Bitdefender and am using another AV until they get it sorted out. But if people are still having problems with it today I'm wondering what the hold up is. I'd like to use BD, especially since I paid for it, but can't in its current form. Making me look at other security suites.

• I've been trying to figure out why the CPU load goes to 100% when I'm downloading something over the past week or so. I tracked it down to Bitdefender. I've found that by turning the firewall module off and then on again the problem seems to go away for a while. Of course the problem comes back later. I'm going to try and run the Bitdefender diagnostic tool the next time the issue pops up.

• I've been trying to figure out why the CPU load goes to 100% when I'm downloading something over the past week or so. I tracked it down to Bitdefender. I've found that by turning the firewall module off and then on again the problem seems to go away for a while. Of course the problem comes back later. I'm going to try and run the Bitdefender diagnostic tool the next time the issue pops up.

I ended up doing a repair on the install and that seems to have taken care of the issue.

• The install repair only works for a couple of hours.

I have the same problem, when I have network traffic the PC stutters (sound and video), and the CPU usage goes to 100%.
    I've narrowed it down to the Bitdefender Firewall, so I've disabled it, and now I use the one integrated in Windows.

I've sent a report to Bitdefender 2-3 weeks ago, but nothing happened yet.

Windows 10, BD Internet Security 2016 lots of software installed, but none that could mess with the network options.

I've noticed the problem on my PC about a month ago, but now it appeared on two other computers at work.

• AcePuppy
    edited April 2016

Anytime I am downloading, it lags my computer to an unbelievable slow rate and this is with a i7-6700K and 32GB of ram.

I have checked the adapter settings in Firewall and they are set to Home/Office -> Stealth Off -> Generic On.

The only way this issue is resolved is by disabling the firewall altogether. It doesn't matter where the download is coming from.. Chrome, Firefox, Filezilla, anything.. computer slows to a crawl. There is an obvious issue with the Firewall in this version (Total Security 2016). I had no issues with Total Security 2015 until I upgraded. Any help would be appreciated.

• Stealth mode off makes you vulnerable to port scans and many more other nasty stuff, so try set your stealth mode on, and generic yes. Since you have a high end cpu could be a compatibility issue. If you use wireless make sure u use strong wi-fi security protocols like wpa2 and a strong password. Make sure your router has a strong password too.

• Stealth mode off makes you vulnerable to port scans and many more other nasty stuff, so try set your stealth mode on, and generic yes. Since you have a high end cpu could be a compatibility issue. If you use wireless make sure u use strong wi-fi security protocols like wpa2 and a strong password. Make sure your router has a strong password too.

This is not the problem. Setting Stealth to on or off makes no difference. High end CPU shouldn't be a compatibility issue especially since this was fine in TS 2015 and the CPU has been out for over 8 months. I'm also not wireless.

• I just joined to mention my 2p's worth! I too had been experiencing this issue for around 2 weeks and it was driving me bonkers and I just worked out how to fix it (or at least it did in my case anyway!). Basically I knew it had to be a program or driver i'd installed as I'd literally just built a new Intel/Nvidia PC on Tuesday and eventually had the same stuttering etc issues in Youtube as I did on my old AMD/ATI setup. So I went off searching the interwebs and eventually found a page on an Avast forum mentioning a problem they had with windows 8.1 & their port scanning module in the firewall and it made me wonder if it was the same problem in my case even though it's a different Anti virus.

So, I opened Bitdefender, modules and then firewall and turned off the 'block port scans inn the network' module and low and behold when I started up Latencymon again there were no high 100's execution time or high DPC's which usually within seconds there would be loads of them! I've ran my system for over 4 hours now with no issues like before, I mean I get the occasional 0.2ms glitch every hour or so but that's it, no more robotic stuttering and Youtube is finally fully watchable again!

ignis.sys in latencymon is no more, it's there but it's all 0's after it and the highest i've seen ndis.sys & tcpip.sys(which were my biggest problems) is 1.6ms max and under every hour or so. I can't be 100% sure it will work in your case but if you're having similar issues to me it's worth a shot and may also help Bitdefender team work out what the problem is although i'm not too bothered about having the ports option off as my router takes care of that anyway! Good luck all.

• turned off the 'block port scans inn the network' module

This fixed it for me.

• You don't say but I assume you are on Windows 10 ? I've noticed that Total Security 2016 takes a lot longer to "Bitdefender Awake" on my Win 10 systems than it does on my Win 7 systems. Also the Widget sometimes shuts itself off on the Win 10 systems.

I know this doesn't help your issue but maybe there is something wonky in the latest versions of TS2016 ? I have not noticed any system degradation when downloading files. Have you checked out the Task Manager during a download to see what is using CPU or what process or service might be contributing to the slow down ?

• Same thing when I download something from Firefox.

• This fixed it for me.

Thanks for verifying that it worked for you, at least that's 2 confirmed now!

• You don't say but I assume you are on Windows 10 ? I've noticed that Total Security 2016 takes a lot longer to "Bitdefender Awake" on my Win 10 systems than it does on my Win 7 systems. Also the Widget sometimes shuts itself off on the Win 10 systems.

I know this doesn't help your issue but maybe there is something wonky in the latest versions of TS2016 ? I have not noticed any system degradation when downloading files. Have you checked out the Task Manager during a download to see what is using CPU or what process or service might be contributing to the slow down ?

Yes I am running Windows 10, however this issue wasn't present on Total Security 2015, only 2016. The Bitdefender Awake does not take long to show when loading on my computer, maybe because I'm running a faster machine than you are, I don't know. I haven't seen the widget shut off at all.

The system is only degraded when downloading files of any kind, anything else is fine. Turning the Firewall completely off resolves this issue. Looking in Task Manager does not show the CPU or Memory pointing to Bitdefender or anything at an abnormal level.

Will someone who works from Bitdefender, please respond to this issue. I've read else-where on other forums than this one, that this is a common issue.

• Not sure if this is gonna help you the same as it did me but I found my PC lagged during youtube, gaming occasionally etc which Latencymon reported as being ndis.sys & tcpip.sys and after some checking also ignis.sys a Bitdefender program. So, after finding something on Avasts forum regarding a port scanning issue they had with windows 8.1 I decided to turn off the module 'block port scans in network' in Bitdefenders firewall and as soon as I did that all my issues were resolved so it might be worth giving it a shot in your case too! I don't feel the module is worth having around anyway if your router has port scanning blocks in place anyway and saves turning the firewall of completely!

• Not sure if this is gonna help you the same as it did me but I found my PC lagged during youtube, gaming occasionally etc which Latencymon reported as being ndis.sys & tcpip.sys and after some checking also ignis.sys a Bitdefender program. So, after finding something on Avasts forum regarding a port scanning issue they had with windows 8.1 I decided to turn off the module 'block port scans in network' in Bitdefenders firewall and as soon as I did that all my issues were resolved so it might be worth giving it a shot in your case too! I don't feel the module is worth having around anyway if your router has port scanning blocks in place anyway and saves turning the firewall of completely!

Thanks, will definitely try this when I get home in a couple hours.

• cacau
    edited April 2016

Hi folks, I am having an issue with both firewalls! After installing my Bitdfender Total Security 2016 a flag message is showing down by the windows clock corner that I either one have no firewall protection at the moment!!! Neither Windows nor BD!! I am trying to activate either one but nothing happens!!! Any help please?

• I have the same problem with Bitdefender Internet Security 2016

When I download from any browser using SabNZBd or Utorrent by PC lags like crazy

This all started sometime in March after a Bitdefender update, i noticed something was up when Malwarebytes Pro tried to auto update and bitdefender blocked the install.

Since this Bitdefender update if I run Malwarebytes and Bitdefender together (even though i excluded them frome each other) my PC BSOD all the time.

As soon as I exit Malwarebytes and take it out of startup I've had no BSOD!

So I fixed the BSOD but I still have the extreme LAG when downloading, I ran some driver latency checking tools and its ndis.sys

Hmm....I never used to have the Bitdefender firewall turned on but its on now! Guess what? As soon as i disable the firewalll my PC stops lagging

So a recent Bitdefender update has caused incompatibility issues with MalwareBytes and the firewall is causing problems with ndis.sys

Please sort this out Bitdefender! My malwarebytes always placed nicely with your program since your recent updates

Thanks

Tried this, unfortunately did not work.

• This fixed it for me.

Yep. This fixed it for me too. I still feel weird having it disabled though. Any chance they will fix this or do they not consider it an issue?

• It also fixed it for me. But they should really fix this. It's not ok to have port scanning off.

• Still looking for someone from Bitdefender to respond to this issue. As you can see others are having the same problem.

• ..sorry for double post. I used to have lags and i protect my adapter drivers .sys files with emet. Network adapter drivers are very exposed to attacks. Update network adapter drivers and try emet

• ..sorry for double post. I used to have lags and i protect my adapter drivers .sys files with emet. Network adapter drivers are very exposed to attacks. Update network adapter drivers and try emet

Again, this is not the issue.

• Have you disabled windows defender on your win 10 when installed BD?

• Have you disabled windows defender on your win 10 when installed BD?

I'm not trying to be rude with this but I have been a system administrator for many years and am very familiar with how things should and should not work. Windows Defender is off and has always been off. The suggestions you are posting are irrelevant to the problem at hand. This is a common problem with this version and as previously stated when the firewall in BD is fully turned off, all the issues related to the problem go away. There is a bug/flaw somewhere within the program, if you search the web you will see the same issues related to my problem, as well as others in this same thread having the same issue.

• After 4 days of no response from Bitdefender on this forum. I have opened a case. If I find out a resolution, I will post here.

• did you found a solution for that proplem ?

if yes please share it with us

thank you .

• also do you have bitdefender and Malwarebytes both installed on system ?

maybe that is your proplem .

• did they fixed the proplem or not yet ?

• Polosport68
    edited April 2016

Exactly the same problem here... I wrote a post on the French forum (/index.php?showtopic=69193" rel="">https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=69193) and up to now the only soution I found myself is to turn off the port analysis in the firewall.

It immediately "repairs" the problem of sound and mouse lagging in youtube.

I even formated my pc and it is now running on a new clean install but it didn't resolve this problem...

Win 10 Pro, i7 3770k on msi Z77A-G45, Nvidia gtx 670, 32 go ram

• Exactly the same problem here... I wrote a post on the French forum (/index.php?showtopic=69193" rel="">https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=69193) and up to now the only soution I found myself is to turn off the port analysis in the firewall.

It immediately "repairs" the problem of sound and mouse lagging in youtube.

I even formated my pc and it is now running on a new clean install but it didn't resolve this problem...

Win 10 Pro, i7 3770k on msi Z77A-G45, Nvidia gtx 670, 32 go ram

I can see that in the French thread you opened the support respond to you

but I don't khnow French

can you tell us what did he told you or if they going to fix the proplem soon ?

• Nothing... They told me that some programs could cause it or my modem... Really disapointed because I'm pretty sure it's linked to a bitdefender problem.

The only strange fact is that my wife has not pointed this problem on her laptop though it's also running BD Total security on win 10 64 bits (only difference, it's a family edition).

For me, it began around end or mid March. First I tried a repair of BD then I formated the pc for a clean install but it didn't improve it at all.

I also have another "problem" due to the repairing or formatting, the bd agent issue that causes a real slow start up in the task bar...

• Hi. I have exactly the same problem. Use Bitdefender Total Security 2016. A few weeks ago computer began having very often big lags when I downloading or watching movies online. I have a Core i7 3770 and exactly 32 GB of RAM. The system is Win 8.1 64KB, I have reinstalled it about 5 times. I just installed Windows 10 and the same problem. Lags disappear when I stop firewall.

• did you found a solution for that proplem ?

if yes please share it with us

thank you .

No. Bitdefender has not responded back to my ticket yet.

also do you have bitdefender and Malwarebytes both installed on system ?

maybe that is your proplem .

Malwarebytes when uninstalled, was still a problem with the firewall in Bitdefender even after reinstalling Bitdefender with Malwarebytes uninstalled.. so that's not the issue.

• I installed 2016 today after my 2015 subscription expired. Immediately noticed minuscule computer hitches. Mouse lag, window movement freezing, sound skipping. Was gaming on one monitor and watching videos on the other. Didn't have this problem before updating, so I figured it was the switch from 2015 to 2016.

After unticking the box for "Block port scans in the network" as suggested above, the problem has not happened again.

I'm currently on the 30 day free trial. I planned on resubscribing after it's up, but not too sure now. This should be fixed.

• I installed 2016 today after my 2015 subscription expired. Immediately noticed minuscule computer hitches. Mouse lag, window movement freezing, sound skipping. Was gaming on one monitor and watching videos on the other. Didn't have this problem before updating, so I figured it was the switch from 2015 to 2016.

After unticking the box for "Block port scans in the network" as suggested above, the problem has not happened again.

I'm currently on the 30 day free trial. I planned on resubscribing after it's up, but not too sure now. This should be fixed.

same proplem here

they need to fix that proplem

disabling Block port scans is not good option .

• Had to turn deselect "block port scans in the network" also as my PC would lag so bad, I had no control of my mouse. I hope BD fixes this soon otherwise I am going to switch AV tools. I am not comfortable with the setting off, but if anyone can share with some degree of credibility, the increased security risk by having it off, I could rest easier.

thanks

• Yep. It's abysmal. They broke it in mid to late March and have yet to repair it. I guess they're not going to. Which means this is the last time I will ever purchase a BD product.

• Make sure if you are experiencing this to tell support, the more reports they have, the more likely it will be fixed.

Phone: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer-phone.html

Email Form(Australian): http://www.bitdefender.com.au/support/contact-us.html

Email other: Supposed to be here: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/contact-us.html?last_page=1168 but it keeps redirecting me so I don't know if that works

Email general: bdsupport@bitdefender.com

Or, use the built in Support Tool (which I hate because it never seems to work properly)

Also, make sure you reference this forum post and let them know that it is not an isolated issue and that many people are experiencing it.

• Anytime I am downloading, it lags my computer to an unbelievable slow rate and this is with a i7-6700K and 32GB of ram.

I have checked the adapter settings in Firewall and they are set to Home/Office -> Stealth Off -> Generic On.

The only way this issue is resolved is by disabling the firewall altogether. It doesn't matter where the download is coming from.. Chrome, Firefox, Filezilla, anything.. computer slows to a crawl. There is an obvious issue with the Firewall in this version (Total Security 2016). I had no issues with Total Security 2015 until I upgraded. Any help would be appreciated.

Same issue for me also but with Internet Security 2016 (same firewall module). Frustrating since I have had to add another firewall program to replace the faulty one in Bitdefender. Problem started about 2-3weeks ago if I recall correctly so it was likely due to an update to Bitdefender at that time.

My subscription will run out in about 1 month & needless to say, I will not be renewing if the problem is not fixed by that time.

This discussion has been closed.