Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Total Security 2017 Blocking PLEX

As stated in the title, Bitdefender Total Security 2017 blocks Plex from functioning.  Specifically, it gives me firewall alerts that it has stopped port scans from my devices (Samsung smart TVs, Nvidia Shield, Samsung BD player) requesting access to the Plex server on my PC. The only way to make Plex function is to disable the "Block port scans on this network" option in the Bitdefender firewall settings module. This is not that big of a deal as my home network sits behind a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PRO.  Still, this is not the preferred operation of Bitdefender. Is Bitdefender planning a fix for this? The ability to open specific ports would be the logical solution.  I have used Bitdefender for many years and it would be a shame to abandon it for another product with functional firewall capabilities.

Tagged:

Comments

• On 11/29/2016 at 4:04 PM, OP06D said:

As stated in the title, Bitdefender Total Security 2017 blocks Plex from functioning.  Specifically, it gives me firewall alerts that it has stopped port scans from my devices (Samsung smart TVs, Nvidia Shield, Samsung BD player) requesting access to the Plex server on my PC. The only way to make Plex function is to disable the "Block port scans on this network" option in the Bitdefender firewall settings module. This is not that big of a deal as my home network sits behind a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PRO.  Still, this is not the preferred operation of Bitdefender. Is Bitdefender planning a fix for this? The ability to open specific ports would be the logical solution.  I have used Bitdefender for many years and it would be a shame to abandon it for another product with functional firewall capabilities.

Thanks OP06D, after updating my AMD driver last month, my AVAST was giving problems. So after 8 years with them, I thought it might be nice to try something else. Installed Bitdefender on a friends recommendation. Shortly after that, the kids and wife complained that Plex doesn't work. I didn't think of Bitdefender then, until today that is. Uninstalled it and Plex immediately worked. I'm trying Avira now, so far no problems. Might even move back to Avast in a few days. Bitdefender was nice, while it lasted.

Thanks again

• On 1/3/2017 at 2:43 PM, Beans100 said:

Thanks OP06D, after updating my AMD driver last month, my AVAST was giving problems. So after 8 years with them, I thought it might be nice to try something else. Installed Bitdefender on a friends recommendation. Shortly after that, the kids and wife complained that Plex doesn't work. I didn't think of Bitdefender then, until today that is. Uninstalled it and Plex immediately worked. I'm trying Avira now, so far no problems. Might even move back to Avast in a few days. Bitdefender was nice, while it lasted.

Thanks again

Its a shame that Bitdefender really doesn't listen (doesn't give a crap) to/about their customers.  I used Norton for years before I dumped them, startup issues and random crashes.  For a while, Bitdefender was much better, now its become a bloated system wrecker.  I use AMD video cards myself and Bitdefender frequently conflicts the Crimson driver initialization during startup. I may be looking for another internet protection suite in the future. The sad thing is, most of them are so bad, its really a crap shoot.

• Hello,

Please contact our support team using bitsy@bitdefender.com and provide them with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool to further investigate the issue you encountered.

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log--1168.html

• I just installed BitDefender Total Security 2017 on my Windows 10 PC and am having the same problem. Cannot access the Plex media server running on my PC from my iPad due to a blocked port scan. Is there a resolution to this? This is a show stopper and will have to abandon BitDefender if this can't be remedied.

• John T
    edited October 2017

I am having exactly the same problem. Plex ran perfectly fine on my media streaming PC for many years and as soon as I installed BitDefender, none of my devices can access my 60TB of media any longer. Extremely frustrating!