Says browser not supported, update to latest version of Internet Explorer

I am trying to use Bitdefender, but I keep getting a message that says my browser is not supported, and to update to the latest version of Internet Explorer.

I do not use Internet Explorer...I use Firefox.

Desktop computer...not mobile device.

Thank you.

Comments

• Sorin G.
    Sorin G.
    edited March 2017

Hello,

Lots of applications use the IE engine to power their iframes.

Bitdefender does the same for the page that allows you to login into Central.

This is a software requirement to use the product, moreover it's recommended to have the latest updates for your Windows installed.

• fatpossum
    fatpossum
    edited January 2017

Windows is my operating system, and of *course* I have the latest updates installed for THAT.

But I prefer to use Firefox as a browser.

So, you are saying the only browser that works with Bitdefender is Internet Explorer?

That's pretty bad....and, if so, why?

Lots of people use Chrome, and other browsers...

Also, I saw this somewhere, which was what made me come here and ask:

I rely on my BitDefender security and you say it won't work with 7, go back to Microsoft browser?

Firefox 7 apparently will not allow my BitDefender to run. I don't see why I have to select one or the other. Is my only option to dump Firefox and go back to the Microsoft browser?

Only the toolbar is not compatible with Firefox because BitDefender has probably not updated the toolbar. You can post on the BitDefender forum for confirmation about the toolbar, when it will be updated, etc. BitDefender should still be working in the background to protect you.

• What is your problem my friend?

i am using Firefox latest version, Bitdefender work very well with that !

• I am trying to use Bitdefender, but I keep getting a message that says my browser is not supported, and to update to the latest version of Internet Explorer.

I do not use Internet Explorer...I use Firefox.

It downloaded fine, but when I try and use it to run a scan...it won't run it..a window pops up that says:

"Your browser is not supported, please update to the latest version of Internet Explorer.

• Hello,

Firstly please read the forum rules and refrain from using large fonts.

Secondly you seem to misunderstand. You need to have IE updated in order for the in-product Central login window to work properly and activate the product.

Other than that you can use your Firefox like you normally would.

• Hello,

Please remove this requirement for Internet Explorer.

I don''t use I. E. and I donț want to install it onky to uninstall it after activation. The less requirement you have the easyer is to use your antivirus.

it's recommended to have the latest updates for your Windows installed.

Reccomended and not mandatory.

Thanks.

Why don't you make Chrome or Firefox your default browser if you really need one, because I.E. is not so used? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

• Tellenborm
    edited August 2017

Well I was going to give Bitdefender free a try and upgrade if it was to my liking, but I'm not 'upgrading' Internet Explorer for love nor money, so you lost a potential customer. IE has something like 11% market share, and yet you think it's a good business decision to make it mandatory for your antivirus? It took me long enough to get rid of all the various versions from my computer, it'll be a cold day Satan's palace in before I invite them back. 

Utterly ridiculous decision.

• I am trying to use Bitdefender, but I keep getting a message that says my browser is not supported, and to update to the latest version of Internet Explorer.

Earlier it was working properly but then i had to uninstall it due to technical reasons.

My operating system does not support internet explorer 11 and i use google chrome.

PLEASE HELP

• Sergiu C.
    Sergiu C.
    edited March 2018

Hi, 

What operating system are you using ? 

• Yep. same issue here. Supposedly my I. E. is updated but bitdefender still won't work... Super dumb.

Best part is it worked fine on this PC last month...

• Same here, I tried to use Bitedender for the very first time and after the installation it told me to install internet explorer, seriously? december 9 2020 and you want me to install abandoware? good bye for good Bitedefender, thank you for nothing. Way to go on losing potential customers.

• Same here, i paid for the subscription and despite having having Microsoft edge & IE 11 updated I still not able to use it.

Dear bitdefender team please advice or at least give me a refund.

• I have the same problem.

I use Bitdefender on my more powerful desktop PC, no problems. But now I installed it on my less powerful laptop. I try to have my laptop clean from heavy applications and havent upgraded Internet explorer - who use it anyway?. I use Google Chrome.

So the installation went Okey but I can't run it. It says my Web browser is not supported and that I must upgrade Internet Explorer. For real? 2021? The "best" Antivirus?

This is very surprising for me. Is Bitdefender a part of IE? Is it not a stand alone application?

• Okey. I read the system requirements now and I can see that IE is required from version 10 and up. So there it is .

Still I think this is something you really should consider to fix, An Anti -virus- malware - application should run smooth and have their own platform.

But here it is my friends:

Bitdefender 2019 System Requirements

In order to properly run Bitdefender 2019, you need to have a system with the following minimum specifications:

Bitdefender 2019 Minimum Specifications

• Operating System: Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10

CPU: Dual Core 1.6 GHz processor

Memory (RAM): 1 GB

Available free hard disk space: 2 GB free space

• Internet Explorer version 10 or higher must be installed <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<-----------------------------

Bitdefender 2019 Recommended Specifications

Operating System: Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10

• CPU: Intel CORE 2 Duo (2 GHz) or equivalent processor

• Memory (RAM): 2 GB

• Available free hard disk space: 2.5 GB free space

Was this article helpful?

• Actually the situation is bad for users who HAVE IE installed.

I have it installed and I have a purchased BitDefender subscription (which was working fine some time ago). Yet Bitdefender does not work even with the latest IE installed.

Bitdefender seems bugged... this is a serious flaw and unless fixed I am out..

• Hello!

Actually i think that bitdefender will be good silent antivirus without problems. And after read articles about bitdefender i want buy total security. Thank god i did not pay for it. And download to try before buy. Because i have same problem - i cant run it! "Your browser is not supported". I don't use IE. I can't update IE easily. This is not user friendly. This is sad!

P.S.: I call to russia office of bitdefender. And man with name Sergey sad - that answer only about business products. And about home products they can't talk. OMG

So... will tray more friendly soft. Hope it helps. ty

• It's 2022 and sadly enough I have same problem.

I'm an old customer of the solution and have a family package which means I would like to have my parents protected without much fuss. For them I need to have a headless bitdefender protection. The dashboard runs for me and they should not be bothered.

I really hope there is a workaround to run the initiation for a Windows 8 Pro without IE 11 (not available there at all) through other means (e.g. some command line with some flags) otherwise I will have to look for competitors as well...